Christmas Cheer

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Skip's comment about "straight up" reminded me of the group Straight No Chaser and one of my favorite Christmas medleys. In the spirit of putting family grudges aside, here's my contribution to spreading some Christmas cheer:

It’s Christmas time again. I know this because when I was grocery shopping yesterday they were playing Jingle Bell Rock; a song Bobby Helms made popular in 1957 when I was 7 years old.

Christmas, regardless of one’s religious beliefs, has traditionally been a time when people got together to share what they had in common. The love of food, the sound of children’s laughter and awe at the time of year when a magical bearded guy snuck into their house and left all these cool presents under a fir tree decorated with all sorts of stuff.

Yeah, I’ve heard all the “Put Christ back in Christmas”, “You can’t say Happy Holidays” “The war on Christmas”, but the traditions continue.

I’m not Christian, but I enjoy the gathering of friends even though I miss the one’s I’ve lost and can now only hear their laughter in memories.

This year is special for me. Half of my family has been feuding with the other half over religion and politics. For several years the Fundamentalist family members have refused to break bread with the other half because of a gay nephew. Donald Trump’s election added new fuel to the fire.

I’ve been in the middle. I have house rules (My house, my rules) but no one is banned based on their sexual orientation. This year I invited both sides of the family feud. I spent long hours convincing each side to act in the spirit of Christmas and it looks like they will all attend and be civil.

I can only hope this civility will continue for the rest of the year and beyond.
Same. Half my family are "Christians" who blindly worship at the Altar of Trump, and the other half are mostly highly educated people who are more prone to logic and reason. I wish my Grandmother was still here. She kinda of wrangled everybody and kept things in check. My grandpa is 92 and can't handle the job, so it usually falls on my shoulders to mediate holiday gatherings.

my wife & I solved this problem a few years ago ,after her father died the legal mess that ensued because of greed & dishonest family members she just stepped aside & disowned them a few years later my dad died & my mother & late sisters kids pulled the same bullshit ,I said have at it but don't bother calling me ever again, don't need a redo already done that.

When it comes to religion and politics there is rarely any compromise because people are usually in the "I'm right "or I know" the truth" category, so dealing with issues is futile. Good for you, Trapper, hopefully things work out!

I've read this before, lots of Christmas spirit in this statement.

"It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck."

That's how I like to handle things at my place......
:)

Same. Half my family are "Christians" who blindly worship at the Altar of Trump, and the other half are mostly highly educated people who are more prone to logic and reason. I wish my Grandmother was still here. She kinda of wrangled everybody and kept things in check. My grandpa is 92 and can't handle the job, so it usually falls on my shoulders to mediate holiday gatherings.
Good luck @triploidjunkie . I am grateful that my family members are all pretty much on the same page politically and religion wise, though some of us are more passionate than others.

jersey

livin' the dream
Well done Trapper.

Bang a few nails in a rough cut board, leave it out near the stairs with a sign; Leave your hang-ups here

My wife and I have everyone convinced we don’t judge others. No way to get hooked on a side of differing opinions.

My family are all strongly opined, but we have never lost laughter. We laugh at and enjoy the ridiculousness of each other’s opinions. It gets heated at times, but never too personal or too condescending. It’s weird but it works.

If I may, young or thin asparagus, wrap it in prosciutto and broil...simple and delicious.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Good for you Trapper.

I'm glad I have a small number of family members. We’ve gone the no gift route and just enjoy the day together with good food and drink.
The less Christmas drama the better.
Personally I’m always happier when Dec 26th rolls around.

I only send Christmas cards out every year to a select group of friends. Most were involved in a charitable event many years ago. It involved a limo, lots of alcohol and two wooden cutouts of people that somehow ended up in my living room the next morning. Don’t ask me how....
The card is the same every year.
It reads “Merry Fucking Christmas” and a picture of the two wooden cutout people are always included every year in different settings, most involving fishing.
They understand, if others don’t so be it.
SF

Last edited:

Latest posts