Christmas Cheer

T

Trapper

How do we get to your place? I promise to stand in an unoccupied corner and keep my mouth shut. I just want to watch.
I live northwest of Helena. I don’t expect any fireworks. I have been assured everyone will be civil.

My goal is to begin a healing between the two groups. I have no reason to believe this one get together will result in a large hand holding and Kumbaya singing moment. However, my goal is to facilitate a dialogue where people can express their commonalities instead of the differences.

Hell, during the HW Bush funeral, the present and past Presidents were able to put their differences aside.

Rock Creek Fan

Good on ya Trapper!

IMHO traditions of families getting together is much less commonplace but is needed even more. There is no way to make up that lost time together.

When my parents were alive my extended family all got together every Christmas. Not at all since :(. My wife and I then decided to have an extended family get together every summer. Little did we know my aunt and uncle had a serious issue with their daughter and stopped speaking to each other for a number of years. As a result of our summer gathering they started talking and rebuilding their relationship. At first they only talked once a year at our gathering and it has now evolved into them getting together several times a year.

My wife's grandmother would have a huge Christmas bash. She was the family matriarch and kept the family in touch. Sometimes it was so big she would have it two days in a row to accommodate all the people. Since she has passed on, there have been no family gatherings. My wife and I tried but it just does not work out.

If you do not try, you will never know what may happen. But those pleasant surprises are worth more than all the effort put in...

Ron McNeal

Life's good!
I live northwest of Helena. I don’t expect any fireworks. I have been assured everyone will be civil.

My goal is to begin a healing between the two groups. I have no reason to believe this one get together will result in a large hand holding and Kumbaya singing moment. However, my goal is to facilitate a dialogue where people can express their commonalities instead of the differences.

Hell, during the HW Bush funeral, the present and past Presidents were able to put their differences aside.
A noble goal. Hope you succeed.

2kayaker

I haven't gotten a RSVP from him yet. He lives in SoCal so it's a bit of a trip from LA to Montana.

Yes, Jojo. At my house I do virtually all of the cooking. This year I'm doing all hors d'oeuvres; sockeye salmon pate´, baked brie with a raspberry chutney, artichoke dip, deviled eggs, bruschetta.

I thought it would break down barriers if people were mingling around and grazing/drinking instead of seated at a long table where they could only converse with those close to them.
Employ music and singing early on - it brings out the best collective heart of a mixed group. And thankyou for your effort. All the best to you and yours.

Tracker

On a winter sea we sail our ship; a calm bay we do seek. December storms have battered us for now on near a week.

Give to us a sheltered cove, we the crew do pray. A calm for all us weary men to rest this Christmas day.

A Northern gale and raging waves have put us to our task. We've fought our way through frozen seas, the ice on deck and mast.

God looked down upon our ship and calmed the angry waves. We're anchored now in a shelter cove, this Holy Christmas day.

Regards and a joyous season to all.

Tracker.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
...and like Roper I will also be alone again here at the Rocking K. It won't be fun but I'll have the usual holiday big charcoal grilled rib eye, a baked potato, a tossed salad and a nice zinfandel. Later in the day a chocolate sundae for desert.

We stopped giving gifts years ago when ungrateful nieces and nephews were too busy to even say thanks. We concluded that was easy-just don't send anymore and we never did. We didn't observe Xmas as a gift giving time but instead gave gifts to each other at all times of the year. That seems to be best, why make someone wait almost a year for something they would enjoy right now.

And like Salmo I hate what Xmas has become. I was in Spokane today and the sound of Xmas music everywhere just pissed me off. Like Halloween it was better when it was just for kids. Be generous every day, just not at Xmas.
this is the very reason my wife & I have started to invite friends to a fine restaurant & drop a boat load of money on a grand time that we all enjoy, we at one time did this for family but people started hinting they would rather have the money so it came to a end .

Rob Allen

As a Christian if I decided not to have relationships with people who did things that were wrong. I'd ne pretty lonely and well I'd have a hard time justifying a relationship with myself. You can disagree with people's life choices and still be civilized and yes even have deep meaningful friendships with them.
Trapper i hope that everyone you invited comes and has a wonderful time.

T

Trapper

As a Christian if I decided not to have relationships with people who did things that were wrong. I'd ne pretty lonely and well I'd have a hard time justifying a relationship with myself. You can disagree with people's life choices and still be civilized and yes even have deep meaningful friendships with them.
Trapper i hope that everyone you invited comes and has a wonderful time.
While I’m not a Christian, I own and have read the Christian bible a few times. I’ve also read parts of the Qu’ran. And since the Old Testament is essentially the Tanakh, I guess I’ve read parts of the Hebrew bible.

What’s difficult for someone like me (and outsider looking in) is understanding how a Christian could read the bible and conclude something that seems 180° to what the bible says.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
As it gets closer and closer to christmas, I seem to get in a bigger funk. I guess that I would be happier is nobody showed up at our place. Everytime I ask my wife if she would use this or that and I get the no answer. So I decided not to get her anything. I to damn old for guessing games. Plus I don't give a shit anymore.

JACKspASS

Everytime I ask my wife if she would use this or that and I get the no answer. So I decided not to get her anything. I to damn old for guessing games. Plus I don't give a shit anymore.
This is one of those rare instances when no means yes :D Sounds like the honeymoon phase is over. Get her a cookbook, win.....Win

T

Trapper

As it gets closer and closer to christmas, I seem to get in a bigger funk. I guess that I would be happier is nobody showed up at our place. Everytime I ask my wife if she would use this or that and I get the no answer. So I decided not to get her anything. I to damn old for guessing games. Plus I don't give a shit anymore.
A guy goes into a gun store. He’s looking at a really nice Weatherby rifle; 338 Lapua mag.

The salesman slides a Swarovski range finder scope next to the rifle. The guy excitedly says, “Wow, this is the rifle I’ve always dreamed of, but if I buy another firearm my wife will kill me.”

The salesman reassures him, “Look, Christmas is only a couple weeks away. Buy this rifle and scope, pick out a nice case and ammo. Then I’ll gift wrap it. Give it to your wife for Christmas. She doesn’t have any interest in hunting so she’ll smile and give you a kiss and then go on opening other presents. Then, you’ll have a really nice firearm and she won’t be mad at you for spending $10 grand on a gun.

“You are a friggin’ genius! Wrap it up.”

Christmas day comes and the guy lays the wrapped rifle in his wife’s lap. She sets her coffee aside and opens the gift. She looks up at him quizzically as she unveils the cased rifle.

“Oh my Lord!” She exclaims, “A hunting rifle! I’ve always wanted to go hunting with you and your guy friends.” She throws her arms around him and kisses him. “Thank you so much.”

He takes her on a late season elk hunt thinking the cold and snow will put an end to her elk hunting dreams. He drops her off on a favorable spot. “I’ll see if I can drop down this little valley and maybe push an elk up to you.”

He gets 200 yards away when he hears the big caliber rifle go off, KABOOM, KABOOM, KABOOM!

He runs back to find her with the muzzle of the rifle under a cowboys chin. He has his hands in the air pleading with her, “Ok, lady; you can keep the elk. But can I have my saddle back?”

Salmo_g

Skip, most of us never have too many sox!

OMJ, get some egg nog and rum and have your self a merry, merry ole' Christmas and ignore whoever shows up at your place!