December Fly Salon - "Outside The Box"

SilverFly

First, thanks again to @steve s for selecting Prawn/Shrimp patterns as the theme for the November Salon. Lots of great flies and techniques came out of that. Also triggered me to have a full OCD tying episode ;).

Anyway, for December I was thinking of a variant on the May 2014 WEIRD SCIENCE Salon hosted by @plaegreid.

Since December is a month strewn with decorations, gift-wrap, and materialistic excess in general, there will be no shortage of options for this one. "Outside the box" can mean exactly that. You're in business if you see a shiny mylar ribbon that just happens to be a perfect shade of steelhead pink, or a purple bow that's begging to be shredded into fibers and stuffed into a dubbing loop. But it doesn't have to be gift wrap or decorations. Maybe you have some seasonal "boots with the fur" laying around that might be a bit patchier after the holidays.

Of course, not everyone's home will be plagued with the onslaught of tinsel. Any artificial material that can be re-purposed as-is, or modified (i.e. shredded, melted, laminated, knotted, woven .....) and used to make a cool looking fly is acceptable. Unlike the WEIRD SCIENCE Salon though, I'm gonna say no to pet-hair for this one. To be perfectly honest, it's animal hair, and therefore is a traditional tying material. Besides, some pet hair is higher quality than anything you'll find in a fly shop, especially for dubbing.

Allowed Conventional Materials:
> Hooks, Shanks, and/or Tubes
> Thread
> Resins (UV, Epoxy, Silicone, Head Cement etc...)
> Markers
Edit 12/6: I'm adding commercially avalable head accessories to the list. Cones, lead eyes, bead chain, stick-on eyes, tungsten beads, fish skulls and the llike are now fair game.

Before and after pics of the raw materials would be nice for contrast but not required. I'm looking forward to seeing some really cool flies come from some very unexpected sources. Should be fun and challenging. Good luck thinking outside the box!

Last edited:

SilverFly

Good one!

Is craft fur in or out if it comes from some sort of decoration or holiday costume?
Think it's safe to say craft fur has become a conventional tying material, but if you can source it from a costume, old boots, parka hood, etc.. that will be OK. I want to keep this challenging but not so bad it isn't enjoyable, or doesn't turn out some good looking flies. Having a bit of alternatively sourced craft fur could open up a lot of options with creating patterns being limited to other alternative materials.

Again, pics of the material source aren't required but should add to the fun, and might even help with naming a pattern.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
while not a pattern tied recently, it IS pretty outside the box (at least enough to piss off the so-called 'purists')

This fish, caught by this fly stripped, as intended (as it should be)...last winter...

L7rTcKB.jpg

Cheers!!!

SilverFly

Close but no ... OK, you have the cigar, but still doesn't count ;).

Good looking fly though. You also scored 50 "nice try" points for the name, and especially the creativity of utilizing a cigar wrapper. Great quality on the pics as well. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Find a qualified material to replace the teal and you're in the running.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Gonna be tough to beat a good chironomid in the one.

Yeah, mids would be well suited to this.

I'll try to be as un-biased as possible, but to honest I rarely fish for trout, and have never fished a chironomid in my life. I'm more likely to be a sucker for anything saltwater, bonefish, salmon, and steelhead flies.

But don't let that stop anyone from bringing on some creative trout patterns. Greatly increased challenge factor this month doing smaller, more natural stuff. Pulling off an amazing bug won't go un-noticed.

Last edited:

SilverFly

while not a pattern tied recently, it IS pretty outside the box (at least enough to piss off the so-called 'purists')

This fish, caught by this fly stripped, as intended (as it should be)...last winter...

L7rTcKB.jpg

Cheers!!!
Great fly, but not anti-purist enough for this salon! Just needs a fake alternative to the bunny and marabou.

And just so you know up front, I'm setting the bar a notch higher for you ;).

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts