Steelhead sink tip max leader length question

I experimenting with casting weighted flies with a scott skagit head (short head like the commando).
I would like to experiment with a T11 7.5 MOW sink tip and a weighted fly with a long leader, 5FT or so. Is that doable or will the line long leader cause a pivot point? If so, would I need to add a stiff leader or tapered leader?

Salmo_g

Like Yard Sale I have to ask why? You sink a fly deep by either using a sinking line to get the fly down, or you use a weighted fly (or fly with a split shot, bead head, etc.) to get it down. To double up on sinking strategy would be to use that sink tip with a short leader and weighted fly. I think the long leader only undermines the sink tip. I have used cone head flies, a longish (10') leader, and a floating line and was able to fish the same depth as fishing an unweighted fly attached to a short leader and sink tip line.

Like Yard Sale I have to ask why? You sink a fly deep by either using a sinking line to get the fly down, or you use a weighted fly (or fly with a split shot, bead head, etc.) to get it down. To double up on sinking strategy would be to use that sink tip with a short leader and weighted fly. I think the long leader only undermines the sink tip. I have used cone head flies, a longish (10') leader, and a floating line and was able to fish the same depth as fishing an unweighted fly attached to a short leader and sink tip line.
I'm just trying to figure out if that type of setup will cast. That's all. If I had a floating tip I would try that instead. To be clear, I'm wondering if casting a weighted fly on a long leader will cast without causing a pivot point.

Any time you have a big change in line diameter you will have a pivot point. So going from a sink tip to a leader will do that. It’s less obvious with a short leader but it still is there.

If you don’t want to have it pivot so hard you can do a two stage leader. Think 3’ of 15# and then 3’ of 12#.

Reason people don’t do that is you are now throwing extra tip and extra weight in the fly to achieve the same depth.

Unl SS you are looking for the angle of the dangle? In that case a multi density tip and short leader still works better.

But again, if you are throwing tips and weighted flies I’m not really sure a pivot point matters. It’s going to land ugly no matter what plus you need some free float time to sink.

Any time you have a big change in line diameter you will have a pivot point. So going from a sink tip to a leader will do that. It’s less obvious with a short leader but it still is there.

If you don’t want to have it pivot so hard you can do a two stage leader. Think 3’ of 15# and then 3’ of 12#.

Reason people don’t do that is you are now throwing extra tip and extra weight in the fly to achieve the same depth.

Unl SS you are looking for the angle of the dangle? In that case a multi density tip and short leader still works better.

But again, if you are throwing tips and weighted flies I’m not really sure a pivot point matters. It’s going to land ugly no matter what plus you need some free float time to sink.
Good info thanks

The reason I'm thinking of a long leader and a weighted fly instead of a sink tip and a short leader is because the idea of a large thick sink tip swinging past a steelhead must scare the stuffing out of them. I feel I sink tip should not be seen at all cost.

To me this seems an example of paralysis by analysis. There is but one absolute in determining leader length. At no time should the length of your leader be shorter than the distance between the tip of the fly line and the eye of the fly.

Latest posts