Steelhead sink tip max leader length question

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Interesting responses....guess I'm in the minority. When tossing sink tips/lines I fish tapered fluoro leaders from 4-12 ft depending on the sink rate....4' would be on something like a s7 scandi, 12' on a int/s2 or so. And before you ask: I fish fluoro not because I'm scared a fish will see it, but because it is denser than mono and sinks.

With a dry line I just add ~3ft to my rod length and that is how long my leader will be.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Rob, that's a great way to look at it. My problem is I like to over think stuff. its my way of learning and its fun.
Coming from a drift fishing background I know where my lure is at because I can feel the lead ticking bottom.
When I fly fish with sink tips I really have no way of telling how far I am off the bottom till my line is at the hang down and only then do I feel or catch the bottom. by that point I am in shallow water and little current.
How can you tell what depth your fly is at when its halfway thru the swing?
You dont know unless you hit bottom. You also dont need to care. An aggressive fish will take.

Go sox,
Cds

Rob, that's a great way to look at it. My problem is I like to over think stuff. its my way of learning and its fun.
Coming from a drift fishing background I know where my lure is at because I can feel the lead ticking bottom.
When I fly fish with sink tips I really have no way of telling how far I am off the bottom till my line is at the hang down and only then do I feel or catch the bottom. by that point I am in shallow water and little current.
Typically in drift fishing, you offering is boyant, and rides higher in the water column than your pencil lead or slinky. So I guess you could equate leader length the same between drift and fly fishing. The longer the leader the higher the offering is in the water column. By keeping the leader short, the fly swings across at a similar depth as your tip. This is a good indicator of the depth you're fishing. Hanging up a fly and breaking it off is way better than hanging up a tip and trying to break it off. $$$$$$

that is precisely why drift fishing is far more effective that swinging a fly and always will be.. With swinging there is ,relatively speaking, little depth control

Latest posts