"Gillnets are selective".....

Adam Saarinen

Is that a suction cup on the bottom? What will they think of next ?! Gives me an idea of what to make out of that spare 36" rod tube though. Is bong water bad for the river ? Maybe I should hold off on the "Flow Thru" model.
I don't know. might wanna ask the gill net experts? I smoke Marlboro menthol & that's not a code word for dope!

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Is that a suction cup on the bottom? What will they think of next ?! Gives me an idea of what to make out of that spare 36" rod tube though. Is bong water bad for the river ? Maybe I should hold off on the "Flow Thru" model.
I think it’s just the removable base- a suction cup would be sweet.

I have one made entirely of medical grade silicone for the river- no glass to break and pop a raft or litter the area

Floats in a hot tub too

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
It’s a tolerance issue- one glass of wine gets me buzzed because I rarely drink

Smoking one bowl may get you too high to function on the river.

This is where being a responsible adult that knows their limits and cares about the safety of themselves and others comes into play.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Smoking anything habitually can be incredibly bad for your lungs and heart. Marijuana smoke in the lungs stiffens the alveoli by hardening the capillaries in them. It then hardens the capillaries in one's heart tissue. The net effect is that your heart and lungs now must work harder to deliver the same amount of O2 to your body.
Your blood pressure and heat rate get accelerated. DAMHIK!

I have AFIB (Atrial Fibrillation, also known as irregular heartbeat). The effect on my cardiovascular health is that each beat of my heart is pumping only around 90 - 92% of its normal "per beat volume" with each pump. So to deliver the same amount of oxygenated blood, it must work harder.
I'm not sure when my heart began beating irregularly, but my GF mentioned that she noticed it missing some beats. That was way back around 1999 or 2000.
When I went to the hospital back in July 2014, my ticker was only moving slightly more than 10% of the normal pumping volume that it should have been moving with each beat. They kept me in there for 8 days. My cardiologist told me that if I followed his recommendations and took my meds, then I could expect to recover to as much as 85%. But I worked at it, and I'm back up in the low 90's. I tried a toke from a water bong a few months ago, and it was pretty harsh!
You smokers out there take a gander at your bong's bowl (nasty looking tar and carbon!), and then notice how rapidly its water turns dark after just a few uses. Now, what do you think is happening in your lungs? A dual water chambered bong cleans the smoke only slightly more. How 'bout installing a filter after the second water chamber? I understand that helps even more.
I don't smoke anything at all any more, and only want to inhale clean fresh air!

In addition to a blood thinner (to prevent my blood from clotting if my heart misses a few beats), I take a heart med (carvedilol, the generic equivalent of the original "Coreg"). Carvedilol has the opposite effect on my heart than that resulting from smoking weed.
It slows down my heart rate, makes it more even, and softens the heart tissue a bit. By doing those, it helps prevent me from experiencing fibrillation of my heart.
Once I understood the connection, I quit smoking any weed. Why on earth would I want to negate the positive effects of my heart meds?

I tried vaping, but that's not good for the lungs either. Tinctures under the tongue?....no...didn't like 'em. Now, once in blue moon, I might eat some "edibles" in the form of "cannabis infused Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups," home-made weed brownies or cookies if I luck out and someone offers me one at the right time. I tried making my own, but didn't think it was cost-effective.
I cut my drinking back to 2 beers, or a glass of wine with dinner. I might even quit the alcohol:eek:

But, I smoked weed off and on from 1969 up until recent years. I'm 68. You youngsters still have time to go burn one and then meditate on this! :D

One more cautionary bit of advice to those who toke up. The stiffening effect on the tissues of the heart and lungs from smoking weed tapers off after anywhere from 60 minutes to 90 minutes after smoking. During that time, it is inadvisable to engage in strenuous aerobic activities, such as running, cycling, surfing, flat-water paddling for a long distance, resistance training, or anything else which gets you pumped up for the duration. Hold off, and partake later, when you can take it easier or just kick back and relax.

note: edited to replace "wrong" word with the "correct" one in line 2.

Last edited:
B

bennysbuddy

Smoking anything habitually can be incredibly bad for your lungs and heart. Marijuana smoke in the lungs stiffens the alveoli by hardening the capillaries in them. It then hardens the alveoli in one's heart tissue. The net effect is that your heart and lungs now must work harder to deliver the same amount of O2 to your body.
Your blood pressure and heat rate get accelerated. DAMHIK!

I have AFIB (Atrial Fibrillation, also known as irregular heartbeat). The effect on my cardiovascular health is that each beat of my heart is pumping only around 90 - 92% of its normal "per beat volume" with each pump. So to deliver the same amount of oxygenated blood, it must work harder.
I'm not sure when my heart began beating irregularly, but my GF mentioned that she noticed it missing some beats. That was way back around 1999 or 2000.
When I went to the hospital back in July 2014, my ticker was only moving slightly more than 10% of the normal pumping volume that it should have been moving with each beat. They kept me in there for 8 days. My cardiologist told me that if I followed his recommendations and took my meds, then I could expect to recover to as much as 85%. But I worked at it, and I'm back up in the low 90's. I tried a toke from a water bong a few months ago, and it was pretty harsh!
You smokers out there take a gander at your bong's bowl (nasty looking tar and carbon!), and then notice how rapidly its water turns dark after just a few uses. Now, what do you think is happening in your lungs? A dual water chambered bong cleans the smoke only slightly more. How 'bout installing a filter after the second water chamber? I understand that helps even more.
I don't smoke anything at all any more, and only want to inhale clean fresh air!

In addition to a blood thinner (to prevent my blood from clotting if my heart misses a few beats), I take a heart med (carvedilol, the generic equivalent of the original "Coreg"). Carvedilol has the opposite effect on my heart than that resulting from smoking weed.
It slows down my heart rate, makes it more even, and softens the heart tissue a bit. By doing those, it helps prevent me from experiencing fibrillation of my heart.
Once I understood the connection, I quit smoking any weed. Why on earth would I want to negate the positive effects of my heart meds?

I tried vaping, but that's not good for the lungs either. Tinctures under the tongue?....no...didn't like 'em. Now, once in blue moon, I might eat some "edibles" in the form of "cannabis infused Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups," home-made weed brownies or cookies if I luck out and someone offers me one at the right time. I tried making my own, but didn't think it was cost-effective.
I cut my drinking back to 2 beers, or a glass of wine with dinner. I might even quit the alcohol:eek:

But, I smoked weed off and on from 1969 up until recent years. I'm 68. You youngsters still have time to go burn one and then meditate on this! :D
interesting,but did you ever gillnet?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
NO, I have never gill netted or worked on one. I have never fished commercially.
Ok, one of my neighbors is a commercial fisher who gillnets for salmon or runs a good amount of crab pots for Dungeness. He doesn't smoke weed. I see him out there mending his gill nets, and recently, him and his crew preparing crab pots. I'm 2 houses away, downwind from the prevailing breezes, and I never smell anything wafting from his direction.
I kinda wish he'd start smokin' it. Maybe that would improve his bad attitude!;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts