"Gillnets are selective".....

My uncle is a recreational gill neter & i went out a couple of times over a couple of years over 10 years ago with him on the lake where his cabin is on a island to help set & pull in the nets. He said i have no idea how to pull the nets in properly when he operates the boat & i also have no idea how to operate the boat properly when he pulls in the nets! Those 2 things & also being able to get a massive birds nest the few times i've tried to cast a spoon on a gear rod with a bait caster reel are things i'm really proud of!!!

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
NO, I have never gill netted or worked on one. I have never fished commercially.
Ok, one of my neighbors is a commercial fisher who gillnets for salmon or runs a good amount of crab pots for Dungeness. He doesn't smoke weed. I see him out there mending his gill nets, and recently, him and his crew preparing crab pots. I'm 2 houses away, downwind from the prevailing breezes, and I never smell anything wafting from his direction.
I kinda wish he'd start smokin' it. Maybe that would improve his bad attitude!;)
Not likely,he’s a fisherman because socially unexceptable traits are the norm in that business

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Not likely,he’s a fisherman because socially unexceptable traits are the norm in that business
Not always the norm, but I have a hard time envisioning many of the "commies" I know doing anything else. My neighbor has been described as "volatile," but we coexist just fine.
A couple of my friends' kids have grown up to become commercial fishers, and now each one is driving their own boat! One dropped out of high school in his Sr year to start fishing. He was working on his dad's 72' shrimp trawler until his dad retired from a lifelong career of fishing (I've known his dad since he began his career), and now the kid is running the boat. He's in his mid-twenties.The other one gave up a decent management position in a restaurant chain, and owns his own boats. I can't imagine them quitting fishing to do anything else.
A couple other local guys (brothers) I know that used to be surfers, are plenty smart, and have college degrees, are married and raising families, but they fish...one commercially, and the other owns and skippers his own charter boat.
The list goes on, but you get my drift, eh?
These guys I know are anything but "misfits" with socially unacceptable traits. But I know what you mean. ;)

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I think it’s just the removable base- a suction cup would be sweet.

I have one made entirely of medical grade silicone for the river- no glass to break and pop a raft or litter the area

Floats in a hot tub too
I think that those silicone pipes are way too short. Someone gave me one a couple of years ago, that was maybe 3" long, with a cap for the bowl, so a person could load it and carry it in their pocket. I thanked them for the "thought," and then said "No thanks!" and asked them if they were trying to get me to scorch my tonsils, throat, and lungs! Spliffs can be throat scorchers, as well. Smoking weed doesn't fry one's brain cells, just scorches one's tongue, throat and lungs, and hardens your heart.
I finally decided that I am done with any smoking of anything. "Edibles" don't harm your passages, lungs or heart, and I might still go for those on occasion.
No brag, but I've made it through "day one" on avoiding alcohol. Have dental appointment tomorrow, and its not going to be fun. I may need a glass of wine in the evening, after the anesthetic wears off.
I'm probably going to just try to keep my consumption down to one beer or one glass of wine in the evening, for now. My cardiologist suggested that I go for drinking lightly... no more than one drink, 6 days per week, with at least one day off. And then whittle it down from there to a rare drink. He is concerned that alcohol might interfere with my meds, etc.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I used to like it for long hours on the water sport fishing, but all the commercial fishers I know these days don't smoke. I remember when a dude I know was working as a deck hand on a crab boat a few years ago, when he brought a small pipe on board. That was a mistake. His boss told him to toss it overboard, if he wanted to keep his job. The crew must be sharp and attentive! Once a fishing boat leaves port, it falls under federal jurisdiction. Zero tolerance. That dude has now quit smokin' it altogether.

Never liked smoking pot while fishing, too much can go wrong quickly.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
My gill netting neighbor shook his head and laughed when I asked him about "selective gill netting." He thinks its a joke, but he must play by the rules to stay in the game.

I think that those silicone pipes are way too short. Someone gave me one a couple of years ago, that was maybe 3" long, with a cap for the bowl, so a person could load it and carry it in their pocket. I thanked them for the "thought," and then said "No thanks!" and asked them if they were trying to get me to scorch my tonsils, throat, and lungs! Spliffs can be throat scorchers, as well. Smoking weed doesn't fry one's brain cells, just scorches one's tongue, throat and lungs, and hardens your heart.
I finally decided that I am done with any smoking of anything. "Edibles" don't harm your passages, lungs or heart, and I might still go for those on occasion.
No brag, but I've made it through "day one" on avoiding alcohol. Have dental appointment tomorrow, and its not going to be fun. I may need a glass of wine in the evening, after the anesthetic wears off.
I'm probably going to just try to keep my consumption down to one beer or one glass of wine in the evening, for now. My cardiologist suggested that I go for drinking lightly... no more than one drink, 6 days per week, with at least one day off. And then whittle it down from there to a rare drink. He is concerned that alcohol might interfere with my meds, etc.
Edibles are great- accurate dosage and no smoke inhalation. The future is fancy as hell and tastes like fruity pebbles Rice Krispie treats

Buzzy

Don't worry, i'm waiting for someone to start a NFR thread about marijuana & people start talking about gill nets & Atlantic Salmon.
Not worried! I find it rather amusing that something with such a huge affect on fish survival with quotes from the head of the Agency tasked to ensure fish survival morphs into a bunch of dope smoking rhetoric. "Roll another one, just like the other one, you've been hanging on to it and I don't want a hit".

Don't worry, i'm waiting for someone to start a NFR thread about marijuana & people start talking about gill nets & Atlantic Salmon.
Yeah, this thread sure took a few interesting twists. If there is any underlying theme to this mess it would boil down to stereotyping. Maybe not surprising given that commercial fishing and weed are both "culturally controversial" topics. Probably just taking things further NFR but if we're going to be stamping labels on folks, I think we can be smarter about it. At least that's what my oppositional-defiant streak to group think says. So apologies in advance for the following socio-judgmental treatise...

Stereotypes exist for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that there is always a subset of any group that reinforce (and deserve) the cultural label. Unfortunately, those fitting the stereotype mold, only seem to provide justification for the seemingly irrepressible facet of human nature which makes us categorize other humans into neat little boxes.

It doesn't help that the accurate stereotypes generally have a much higher visibility factor (i.e. criminal activity, more life "issues", etc...) Whereas other members of the same stereotyped group, often the majority, have much lower visibility. So these "anti-stereotypes" are effectively invisible to the those waiting to stuff them into the same little negative box.

This also leads to a self-preservation effect with the stereotype itself. Even though those who defy the group profile could, potentially, do much to dispel the stereotype, or at least focus it on those it truly fits, that isn't likely to happen. At least so long as association with the stereotype can be socially or professionally damaging. These anti-stereotypes, being responsible members of society, actually have something to lose. So by remaining invisible to the experts in social taxonomy, the stereotype itself remains unchanged as a social/cultural label.

And so it would seem with the specific groups in question here. Getting at least slightly back on topic, I've known enough commercial fishermen and stoners to say with some confidence, that there are those who fit the negative profiles, and those who don't.

Those who don't, frequently obliterate the stereotypes and simplistic labels...

First, having family roots in commercial fishing it's hard for me to hate on commies, including gillnetters - even though I think gillnets have become "obsolete" in most fisheries today. My Dad's parents immigrated from Norway, separately, and met while working in a Bellingham cannery. That was a century ago, give or take a couple years. Grandpa also worked in Alaska and took my Uncles and one of my Aunts with him a few summers (Dad was too young). So I grew up hearing stories like my Aunt catching a 500lb halibut from the fishtrap they were working on. My Aunt also married a gillnetter. I remember visiting them as a young boy in 60's. They were nice folks, lived in a nice house on a hill in Blaine. Uncle Emmett took great pride in his boat, showed me how to mend nets, and even gave me a net needle. Cliche or not, they were all honest hard-working people, nothing about them not to like.

Much more recently, was the lengthy, eye-opening discussion I had with a tuna "commie" a few years ago about mako sharks and other 'exotic' species off our coast. Turns out he did his Master's thesis on mako sharks, and helped shutdown illegal shark fishing operations in SoCal. When I asked about tuning sonar to show the thermocline offshore, I ended up getting a 40 minute seminar on transducers, density variations in seawater, and the DSL (Deep Scattering Layer). Another surprise, he had also done contract sonar work on a Navy research vessel. So much for the idea of commercial fishermen being under-educated or anti-conservation. Wish I had recorded that conversation.

As for those who indulge in "herbal supplements". I will admit to having some experience in this area prior to joining the military in the early 80's. Admittedly, I can think of several glaring examples who fit the stoner couch-potato stereotype to a "T". Old, long-lost friends that if even alive, are likely living in poverty and malaise. On the other hand, I have also known some extremely successful, driven, and positive people who openly admit they enjoy smoking on occasion. There are many more I'm pretty sure who do (who's stereotyping now?) that do not fit the "loser" profile at all. Intelligent, educated, responsible, and productive members of society. So, from my experience, weed is a problem for people prone to having problems. And in general, much less so than alcohol. Even so, it's still something that needs to be treated with respect, and it only takes one idiot to ruin someone else's life.

The overall point here is that it's far too easy getting sucked into the stereotyping trap. Sorry, I know some like things cut-and-dried (pun intended) but that doesn't always work with people. By projecting a negative attitude about a specific group, those who don't fit the "label" will remain unknown to you. Along with anything valuable they might have to contribute. Seems like a "net" loss to everyone involved (pun also intended).

"That's all I have to say about that." ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts