Sea Lion Bill Passed the Senate

I do think we need a seal cull but this is nothing but a dog and pony show. The only way the Pacific salmon populations will recover is when we ban commercial harvest/processing of wild fish. That's only going to happen when commercial interests run out of lobbying money.

People were blaming the seals and unusual water temperatures 30 years ago when we destroyed the Atlantic cod. At least we have a front row seat to watch a tragedy of the commons play out.

Market hunting has been outlawed for a century. Its time to do the same with commercial fishing.

I do think we need a seal cull but this is nothing but a dog and pony show. The only way the Pacific salmon populations will recover is when we ban commercial harvest/processing of wild fish. That's only going to happen when commercial interests run out of lobbying money.

People were blaming the seals and unusual water temperatures 30 years ago when we destroyed the Atlantic cod. At least we have a front row seat to watch a tragedy of the commons play out.

Market hunting has been outlawed for a century. Its time to do the same with commercial fishing.
Ya, the nets are a HUGE problem but....
Haven't spent much time on the lower Kalama or Cowlitz when the fish are running have you?
They (seals/sea lions) can all but form an impassable gauntlet for the fish as well. They congregate at the choke points on the Columbia tributary mouths and have one hell of a feast!
The biologist I've talked with state, without hesitation, that the populations of seals and sea lions have far exceeded the carrying capacity of the entire west coast from northern California to SE Alaska.

I already said I'm in favor of a seal cull. They have moved into nontraditional habitats and are threatening endangered stocks. The long and the short of it is every fish not eaten by seals is just another fish on the books to be taken by commercials. Our current leadership isn't managing recovery, It's managing extinction.

That's only going to change when commercials run out of lobbying money.

I already said I'm in favor of a seal cull. They have moved into nontraditional habitats and are threatening endangered stocks. The long and the short of it is every fish not eaten by seals is just another fish on the books to be taken by commercials. Our current leadership isn't managing recovery, It's managing extinction.

That's only going to change when commercials run out of lobbying money.
No argument here....those in charge of managing our salmon, steelhead and sturgeon have screwed the pooch! And continue to do so in their continued march to anadromous fish extinction.
Still, the seal/sea lion problem is probably an equal or greater concern (than gill nets) as they do appear to be greatly accelerating the coming of that extinction. Look at what happened at Ballard Locks and is happening at Willamette Falls now. We could lose it all in a very few years if the culling does not take place quickly and to a very significant level.

A few fish could actually escape the nets, obviously you have never watched the sea lions in action when the locks are closed and the fish were basically sitting ducks. It was quite a slaughter house.

Oh I know the damage seals can do and support a cull. But saying the fish went extinct because of the seals really misses the point in my opinion. Its like saying he got into a wreck because he was speeding and failing to mention he blew a 0.16.

I'm certain that in the process of extinction there is a final blow, the sea lions were in fact the final blow for the steelhead run in the Cedar River. The run sustained it self for many years and then came Herschel and his buddies now there are none.