To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Westport "Groins" in the Winter of '94/'95. I can't remember what I was thinking that day. I was the only one who was able to make it out, and I had the prime time all to myself. The current was running hard, and just getting lined up at the peak took almost a superhuman effort. I managed 6 nice waves, though. I actually had to come in once, climb over the rock revetment, run back up the street a couple hundred yards, and then paddle out at an up-current launching spot on the outer groin. I barely made it, so after that, I was careful to kick out at a spot where I could still manage paddling back out, by getting into an outside rip current, and then paddling back into the take-off zone. I had the break wired, though. The only other guy who tried to make it out had his surf leash ripped off his ankle, and his brand new stick got smashed on the rocks. That was my first home-made board, "The Flame." I had wanted to name it "The Torch" and I had written "Flame On!" near the nose, but my friend Dirk, aka "the renamer," started calling it "the Flame." Photo by my brother, Bruce.
Uhhh, as you can see, I am way out on the face in this shot. Bruce apologized for not taking the pic a second sooner, when I was really back in the tube, but this was pre-digital, 35mm Kodachrome.;) View attachment 186405
I WAS SURFING GROINS BACK THEN!! Woohoo

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yo, stilly stalker, I may not remember your real name, but I might recognize you if we met. I have prints from a few roles of 35mm that go back to the early 80's. Have some good shots of the locals and a crew from Jordan River, B.C. taken during an epic swell in Oct '85. Later, I was showing the B.C. crew some of the prints, when a couple of them began a friendly argument over which one of them it was in a particular image. Ahem....I pointed out to them that the board being ridden was obviously mine, and that my brother, Bruce had taken the pic.:p

That's what I'm riding this year, 1st day on them yesterday, was freaky at first but they where rockin it! I cant wait for a big dump, and legs ready to do what my mind thinks I can do, it believes I'm 24 and 190# still :eek:
Nice! - Your going to love them. They were my only skies for a couple of seasons. Because of the profile early rise tip and tail they carve surprisingly well for a big fat ski. They are lite and maneuverable. You just have to throw them out there and trust your edge. :cool:

You can thank snowboarding for your evolved "fat ski" innovation! lol[/QUOTE
When I first encountered the first snowboards ( with rope and handles attached to their boards noses) 1975?, , my Olin 3s skis had a lot more side shape curve in them than the earliest snowboards.At least we didn't evolve into splitting our design length wise so a boarder could finally walk uphill. Took long enough.
Just teasing, the split board was a great achievment.Just think of all the powder you guys have missed out on thru the years though, because the original designers thought walking with this gear was not worth their effort.

rotato

We just used snowshoes and threw them in a backpack on the way down. There was a heavy bias against boarders (maybe there still is) in those days at the lift area,, so we had to find snow on our own.

I remember clipping a ticket at deer valley or Alta on a road trip. I ran up to the lift and asked"where are the steeps bro?" And was answered "you can't ride THAT here!"

I remember clipping a ticket at deer valley or Alta on a road trip.
“Clipping a ticket.” I’m wondering if that’s what I think it means.
WE used to go get “half day” passes at Targhee on good powder days by hanging in the parking lot til someone who couldn’t handle the deep stuff would be leaving and clip their pass with a pair of wire cutters and then tape it back together on my parka.

“Clipping a ticket.” I’m wondering if that’s what I think it means.
WE used to go get “half day” passes at Targhee on good powder days by hanging in the parking lot til someone who couldn’t handle the deep stuff would be leaving and clip their pass with a pair of wire cutters and then tape it back together on my parka.
No sense letting an unused lift ticket go to waste, I applaud your conscientious conservation as well as the duty to sample the powder reserve.

We just used snowshoes and threw them in a backpack on the way down. There was a heavy bias against boarders (maybe there still is) in those days at the lift area,, so we had to find snow on our own.

I remember clipping a ticket at deer valley or Alta on a road trip. I ran up to the lift and asked"where are the steeps bro?" And was answered "you can't ride THAT here!"
Snowshoeing uphill - a creative solution I've seen in Alaska where there was room and a run-out , drove their snow machine up about 1000 ft, dismount and let it coast downhill riderless, make some turns back to the skidoo. Mount and repeat.