To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Snopro

When you belong to a small community where the locals both ride and service the lifts, and neither are making living wages, while the resort owners are getting fat, no one was busting anyone for clipping a ticket on a good powder day.
Catching fraudulent pass use is one way lifties supplement their meager living wage. Each one caught is worth $100 at the hill I frequent.

If you want to ride for free, hike up.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Catching fraudulent pass use is one way lifties supplement their meager living wage. Each one caught is worth $100 at the hill I frequent.

If you want to ride for free, hike up.

Some area won't even allow that, have seen people busted for both at Stevens, loved the night skiing there back in HS. Tickets were 8 or 10 bucks back then, lots of weed and lots of air = lots of crashes!

Snopro

Some area won't even allow that, have seen people busted for both at Stevens, loved the night skiing there back in HS. Tickets were 8 or 10 bucks back then, lots of weed and lots of air = lots of crashes!
I was thinking backcountry hiking. Climbing in bounds at an operating resort would be hazardous.

I had a mid week season pass at Alpental when I went to CWU. Best $125 I ever spent.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I was thinking backcountry hiking. Climbing in bounds at an operating resort would be hazardous.

I had a mid week season pass at Alpental when I went to CWU. Best $125 I ever spent.

Alpental is one sick area that I haven't skied in 30yrs, need to get back there. I work with a patroller there and have been talking about heading down there later in the year.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.

I bought a mid-week season pass for Alpental in the early 80's when I was working for the UPRR, and before I could even use it, the mgt. sent me to Portland for 6 weeks of training. I think I only paid $99 plus tax for it. Wasn't able to get a refund, though.
The RR put me up in a Porlland hotel, and let us off at noon on Friday to beat the traffic back to the Seattle area. But 2 or 3 nights per week on either M,T, W, or Th night, I bombed up to the ski areas. It was usually too warm at Ski Bowl, so I drove all the way to either Timberline or Mt Hood Meadows. Make me young again!
Wow! I just remembered.... one week I had my surf gear with me, and bombed out to Seaside a couple of afternoons for some nice point waves.
Sometimes in order to maintain sanity when your employer throws you a lemon, ya gotta go make some hellman lemonade!

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I personally avoid commercially concocted "energy drinks" these days. I drink black coffee, and might even wash down something natural with a lot of carbs, but those energy drinks gave me too much of a push when I tried them for paddling.
Back when I skiied, each of us would bring along a flask. I was cheap and brought Yukon Jack. We would scoop some snow into a cup, pour in the Yukon Jack...and voila!.... made ourselves a "Yellow Snow!" So yes, we were scurvy dog filthy yellow snow eaters!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I bought a mid-week season pass for Alpental in the early 80's when I was working for the UPRR, and before I could even use it, the mgt. sent me to Portland for 6 weeks of training. They put me up in a Porlland hotel, and let us off at noon on Friday to beat the traffic back to the Seattle area. But 2 or 3 nights per week on either M,T, W, or Th night, I bombed up to the ski areas. It was usually too warm at Ski Bowl, so I drove all the way to either Timberline or Mt Hood Meadows. Make me young again!
Wow! I just remembered.... one week I had my surf gear with me, and bombed out to Seaside a couple of afternoons for some nice point waves.
Sometimes in order to maintain sanity when your employer throws you a lemon, ya gotta go make some hellman lemonade!

In 94 or 95 I bought a mid week pass with an agreement with my boss that i would work weekends for time off mid week to ski, well he got a partner aka sold the buisnes and the new owner was a complet ass hat and would not budge and insisted I work 6 day a week, I was ready to knock that fucker out. Missed a bunch of the season but eventually quit with a better job and better boss. The following season I started teaching again and was back sking 50+ days peaking in 99 with over 100, what a season that was!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Lessee...hmmmm. If you are trying to burn off calories and are on some kind of "keto" diet, then maybe a concoction of water, couple of hearty dashes of apple cider vinegar, and a spritz of lemon juice might keep your "burn" going.;) Don't mix it up too strong, or the acidity might be too much.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Unfortunately, these days all I need to do is to take my prescription meds on time. At least, they've been reduced in both numbers (of different meds) and dosages. Only one of them induces weird-feeling side effects, and my doc says we can't reduce the dosage any further. So I'm stuck with it.
I can liken the side-effects of this crap to a good THC high without any fuzziness of thinking. It may affect my short-term memory some. I'm feeling spacey most of the time, and my swagger has been replaced by stagger. Only bummer is that this feeling doesn't go away. No breaks. "Welcome to the "new normal."
But I hike with a stout walking stick, so I'm good to go!

2kayaker

I guess I’m a illegitimate fly fisher
I tried to combine xc skiing and wading a stream one time, but I never got the flyrod out. Was crossing a frozen coastal Alaska stream on skiis with tobbogan in tow when the tide flexed ice gave way and I sank in waste deep water with skiis on.Mid way on a 2 day journey. Got skiis off and crawled to the far side. Dogs and I got mostly dried in my sleeping bag. I did have a change of dry clothes on the tobbogan. A sketchy bivouac that night but waded 2 other small streams and got into a friends cabin before nightfall the next day.

Latest posts