To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I tried to combine xc skiing and wading a stream one time, but I never got the flyrod out. Was crossing a frozen coastal Alaska stream on skiis with tobbogan in tow when the tide flexed ice gave way and I sank in waste deep water with skiis on.Mid way on a 2 day journey. Got skiis off and crawled to the far side. Dogs and I got mostly dried in my sleeping bag. I did have a change of dry clothes on the tobbogan. A sketchy bivouac that night but waded 2 other small streams and got into a friends cabin before nightfall the next day.
I like reading about that kind of thing, when the adventurer survives the ordeal.

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Heading out into the backcountry again today. One of my favorite things to do is to study topos in the morning with my coffee and put together a plan for the day.

We've had tremendous winds over the past week (Livingston registered over 100 mph) and ridgetops have been scoured. This has created dense slabs and will be something we'll need to keep an eye on if we decide to move into avalanche terrain.

Heading out into the backcountry again today. One of my favorite things to do is to study topos in the morning with my coffee and put together a plan for the day.

We've had tremendous winds over the past week (Livingston registered over 100 mph) and ridgetops have been scoured. This has created dense slabs and will be something we'll need to keep an eye on if we decide to move into avalanche terrain.
Shovel up! Transceiver time and bring a snorkel

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Nice! - Your going to love them. They were my only skies for a couple of seasons. Because of the profile early rise tip and tail they carve surprisingly well for a big fat ski. They are lite and maneuverable. You just have to throw them out there and trust your edge. :cool:

Well had 1st chare on Tyemill with rumor that they might open the back side, patrolman at the top and said Jupiter chare is open! What are you to do, well you take 1st tracks on the back side under Jupiter chare of coarse! With about 6" of new it was one killer run and the JJ's rocked they were so much fun! 2nd run more to Corona bowl and blew my load, I new I should have taken it easier until the legs get in shape but ya gotta do what ya gotta do right!

Well had 1st chare on Tyemill with rumor that they might open the back side, patrolman at the top and said Jupiter chare is open! What are you to do, well you take 1st tracks on the back side under Jupiter chare of coarse! With about 6" of new it was one killer run and the JJ's rocked they were so much fun! 2nd run more to Corona bowl and blew my load, I new I should have taken it easier until the legs get in shape but ya gotta do what ya gotta do right!
Yeah the JJ's are a magic carpet when the going gets deep. Early season leg burn - I got about 1 3/4 days in at Whistler before my legs burst into flames. When your legs start ignoring your brain it's time to stop.
Forecast for Stevens is snow-snow-snow so I'll be up there one midweek day this week.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
When are you going to start Telemark skiing ? I can hook you up with some eighty year old guys my late father skied with three days a week

Latest posts