To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Sweet zone but the snow has turned to pure shit. Wind, sun, and warm temps the past week has created very unfavorable skiing conditions in the backcountry.

We've only had 7" of snow in December.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Dug a pit today at 9300' on an E facing slope. Snowpack was 3' deep with a sun crust on the surface. There was a weak layer buried a foot below the surface however I could not get it to propagate in my stability tests.

So we skied the slope only to confirm the skiing sucked. We need snow to freshen things up.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Them old boys will surprise you, after a couple of space dust beers they become fearless
My friend Leonard Young was a very good telemark skier. He may still be one. I never did that. I only met the dude after I moved here to the beach, and had quit skiing. He was from Montesano, but lives out at the beach now.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Back when I was a ski bum skiing every day I new some of best telemark skiers in the west, never did give it a go unfortunately. I'm thinking mono board as a friend a work with is part owners in White knuckle Mono boards. Have been wanting one ever since seeing Glen Plak in Blizard of Ahs, way back, way way back!

Back when I was a ski bum skiing every day I new some of best telemark skiers in the west, never did give it a go unfortunately. I'm thinking mono board as a friend a work with is part owners in White knuckle Mono boards. Have been wanting one ever since seeing Glen Plak in Blizard of Ahs, way back, way way back!
You'll need a one piece suit to go with that!

Sweet zone but the snow has turned to pure shit. Wind, sun, and warm temps the past week has created very unfavorable skiing conditions in the backcountry.

We've only had 7" of snow in December.

Got that much and more since last night in the upper Methow. 30” or more in the valley and the snowshoeing is great!
Since I don’t ski anymore this’ll have to do and I’m good with that!

Nice pictures Swimmy!

Westport "Groins" in the Winter of '94/'95. I can't remember what I was thinking that day. I was the only one who was able to make it out, and I had the prime time all to myself. The current was running hard, and just getting lined up at the peak took almost a superhuman effort. I managed 6 nice waves, though. I actually had to come in once, climb over the rock revetment, run back up the street a couple hundred yards, and then paddle out at an up-current launching spot on the outer groin. I barely made it, so after that, I was careful to kick out at a spot where I could still manage paddling back out, by getting into an outside rip current, and then paddling back into the take-off zone. I had the break wired, though. The only other guy who tried to make it out had his surf leash ripped off his ankle, and his brand new stick got smashed on the rocks. That was my first home-made board, "The Flame." I had wanted to name it "The Torch" and I had written "Flame On!" near the nose, but my friend Dirk, aka "the renamer," started calling it "the Flame." Photo by my brother, Bruce.
Uhhh, as you can see, I am way out on the face in this shot. Bruce apologized for not taking the pic a second sooner, when I was really back in the tube, but this was pre-digital, 35mm Kodachrome.;) View attachment 186405
Jim- I moved to WA in late '95 and started surfing here pretty regularly, never well but always with enthusiasm. I don't get out as much these days and most of my surfing will be in the tropics from here on out. I've also had a couple of these days at Westport paddling in place near the dolphin in the west groyne to stay on the peak.

It's a bit north or you but maybe you had a chance to hit this spot, through the woods and down the cliff? I don't have a shot of me riding, only this one of me gathering my stones which I included to add scale for what was an 'average' day...

Latest posts