To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Nice.

I hope to someday hit the backcountry. I'm an intermediate snowboarder but steady increasing my ability. I plan to take some avalanche safety courses and sharpen my skills this season.

Next season I hope to start dipping my toes into a little backcountry goodness.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yes indeed, Thomas! Loved to hit that spot on a good day. I could scan a print or two, if I dig 'em out. Most of the pics taken of me surfing remote breaks were from my brother, or else a GF along for the ride. All of my really good rides have escaped photo capture! Lucky for me, I surfed for my own enjoyment. Any pics were always a bonus!
Surfing alone in remote spots (on mellower days) isn't too edgy if there is someone on the beach. The current at the spot in your pic doesn't get really bad on the outgoing, at reasonable size, and I've had to swim in to shore there a couple times after my leash came off my ankle, or broke. If that happens, though, swim straight in over the reef, where the water is more apt to be moving shoreward. Its usually a bad idea to attempt swimming to the beach in any channel where water moving off the reef is going outbound.
Don't get tangled up in any kelp, and avoid any logs getting washed around in the shorebreak. The reef just gets shallower and the waves get a little hollower as the tide goes out.
I'll try to find a shot of me tight-sphyctering it through the inside bowl at lower tide...a speed line across the bowl with no antics & nothing fancy.
I just finished going through several hundred old photos and couldn't find the ones I was looking for, but I found a couple shots that I took of another surfer I went there with. It had been maxing out with the high tide push, but my friend was chomping at the bit to get out there. I offered to take a couple shots of him while I waited for the tide to get high and begin changing, which is when I usually preferred to begin my sesh there when/if it was maxing or too lumpy when we arrived. Knowing that there was a photographer on the beach, he charged! However, I missed capturing some of his good rides while I was throwing the frisbee for my dog. I'll see if I can get a good scan of them up after I get some sleep.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Some nice lefts....
I have some nice "ancient history" pics of some rivermouth point waves....I used to hit "The Stump" just E of Elwha River mouth, way before the dams came out. "The Point," just E of there had eroded quite a bit as well. Those dams had blocked off the flow of sediment that replenished the gravel bars there. Other river mouth points that had produced decent waves had also eroded. Early 80's, we used to drive right down to PA Point in my VW camper, turn it around so that the doors opened up facing the surf, and enjoy the day...That all ended a long time ago...first due to erosion, then some of the tribal members getting fed up with too many surfers and too much litter.
Its a "dry" res there. No alcohol. Some guys were getting drunk right there and making a scene one day, with their station wagon parked in the wrong spot, and I laughed my ass off when some tribal members drove up with a huge cooler full of fish guts and salmon carasses, and dumped it right at the rear of their car.:D

Now, the sediment flows again, and an entirely different setup exists.

One time, out on the Cape, the Makahs had dumped a huge amount of fish carcasses blocking the entrance to the parking spot above that left reef break in the pics. My friend drove right over it on the way in, but his van got stuck when we were coming back out, and the other passenger and I had to get out and rock and push until the wheels got traction, splattering us with rotten fish gruel:eek: Luckily, we were still in our wetsuits, but changed back into our clothes asap once we got in the clear.

Last edited:

smc

I have some nice "ancient history" pics of some rivermouth point waves....I used to hit "The Stump" just E of Elwha River mouth, way before the dams came out. "The Point," just E of there had eroded quite a bit as well. Those dams had blocked off the flow of sediment that replenished the gravel bars there. Other river mouth points that had produced decent waves had also eroded. Early 80's, we used to drive right down to PA Point in my VW camper, turn it around so that the doors opened up facing the surf, and enjoy the day...That all ended a long time ago...first due to erosion, then some of the tribal members getting fed up with too many surfers and too much litter.
Its a "dry" res there. No alcohol. Some guys were getting drunk right there and making a scene one day, with their station wagon parked in the wrong spot, and I laughed my ass off when some tribal members drove up with a huge cooler full of fish guts and salmon carasses, and dumped it right at the rear of their car.:D

Now, the sediment flows again, and an entirely different setup exists.
I
One time, out on the Cape, the Makahs had dumped a huge amount of fish carcasses blocking the entrance to the parking spot above that left reef break in the pics. My friend drove right over it on the way in, but his van got stuck when we were coming back out, and the other passenger and I had to get out and rock and push until the wheels got traction, splattering us with rotten fish gruel:eek: Luckily, we were still in our wetsuits, but changed back into our clothes asap once we got in the clear.
That’s how surf spots get named. My vote is “Slimes”. ;)

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
That’s how surf spots get named. My vote is “Slimes”. ;)
I use its traditional "place name," but some call it "The Dump," because its close to the garbage dump....so close that any leachate from the dump eventually makes it way into the little creek that drains to the beach there. I never wanted to harvest any mussels from that reef, even though the place seems so pristine.

I use its traditional "place name," but some call it "The Dump," because its close to the garbage dump....so close that any leachate from the dump eventually makes it way into the little creek that drains to the beach there. I never wanted to harvest any mussels from that reef, even though the place seems so pristine.

You can pick Psilocybe azurescens in the Dune grass late fall / early winter between tides when the set dies. “The dump” was always good picking, but I was always worried about that creek. Only surfed it if it was clear running

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
You can pick Psilocybe azurescens in the Dune grass late fall / early winter between tides when the set dies. “The dump” was always good picking, but I was always worried about that creek. Only surfed it if it was clear running
I don't know how to identify those, and I quit doing shrooms long ago, mainly due to "already having achieved a high perspective," as well as concern about possible liver toxins, due to feeling a bit of stomach sickness after ingesting them. I only did the ones that grew on cowpies in Hawaii...the same kind that grow on cowpies in New Mexico.
I never worried about the creek after driving all the way out to the "End of the Earth." If the surf was rideable, then we'd go for it. I was more worried about getting head-onned by a drunk en route. Or potential bed bugs in the motel we sometimes stayed at. We would usually camp. I kept my mouf closed during my surf sessions, unless I wanted to converse with my surf buddies while waiting for the next set, or maybe to hoot at a good ride.
I figured way back then that there isn't any ocean water anywhere anymore that is wise to ingest.

Have you ever taken the time to go thru the Makah's museum of natural history? You need a couple of hours to really experience the place, and learn more about their culture. Next time I'm out that way, I'm going to revisit the place. I want to examine the way they inlaid shells into wood carvings and art. I'm no artist, but I have a project in mind. I want to inlay some shells and agates into a piece of driftwood...

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me in 2003 or so. I parked close to the trail and someone blocked me in with a load of garbage, mostly dirty diapers... I found an old piece of plywood and put it over the mess and then floored my VW camper van and hoped for the best. Never made that parking mistake again.

I heard a rumor back then that Eddie Vedder got medivac'd out of that spot once. Or maybe it was the Wedge. Maybe BS but that's the tale that was going round at the time.

Fun times. Now I cruise an egg or longboard in Costa Rican mush piles and love it just as much...

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
The Wedge sure developed a crowd. There was a dickhead from Florida who called himself "Yo," that tried to claim the spot. I had issues with him. I invited him to come and surf Westport, where we would "roll out the red carpet for him, and then roll him back up inside of it and take him for a boat ride."
Good Gawd, he actually showed up once (only once) and had just paddled out at the Groins when i pulled up.
He was unfamiliar with the break, and I suited up, paddled out, and completely shut him down. Revenge is best serve cold. I wanted his visit to be a waste of gas, time and money. I had the break wired. I think maybe the only wave he got after I paddled out was his ride in. This was "my surf 'n turf." I heard he went back to Florida.

Latest posts