To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Somehow in a ski thread PNW surfers are making me feel cold.
To continue the multi-threading with another old Washington surfing story that might reconnect with the original intent a little bit...

I remember being at Twin a bunch of time at the same time as Mike Olson and his wife (owner/founder of Lib-Tech snowboards). He always had a bunch of different boards and was doing weird stuff like standing on a big longboard paddling with a long paddle back in 2,000 or so, about 10 years before I ever saw SUPs in the lineup in any significant number. One day, he had this small shortboard that he was throwing around, literally thowing it down on the ground and kicking it around which was a death sentence to a poly foam board of that era. I'm pretty sure that must have been an early prototype for Lib-Tech Surfboards that finally came to market much later. I always like their snowboards and recently got one of their surfboards for my next trip to CR.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Day 3 in the books, 10" over night and bombed the 1st run, 2nd run was great and legs started to fade. Then it got warmer and turning to rain and turned into smagma, but the legs are getting stronger and getting in more runs each trip.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
To continue the multi-threading with another old Washington surfing story that might reconnect with the original intent a little bit...

I remember being at Twin a bunch of time at the same time as Mike Olson and his wife (owner/founder of Lib-Tech snowboards). He always had a bunch of different boards and was doing weird stuff like standing on a big longboard paddling with a long paddle back in 2,000 or so, about 10 years before I ever saw SUPs in the lineup in any significant number. One day, he had this small shortboard that he was throwing around, literally thowing it down on the ground and kicking it around which was a death sentence to a poly foam board of that era. I'm pretty sure that must have been an early prototype for Lib-Tech Surfboards that finally came to market much later. I always like their snowboards and recently got one of their surfboards for my next trip to CR.
Mike Olsen always seemed like the fun-loving mad scientist when he showed up here.
I said hi to a guy who was his partner in developing those (still is, maybe?) and his wife, who were out here this summer one day. Stocky blonde dude, good natured. Forgot his name, though.
At first we old school locals out here doubted whether or not they would succeed in their enterprise. We were very wrong!;)
I was looking at a couple of those Lib-Tech surfboards in The Surf Shop here in Westport last summer, when I went in to say Hi to Al, and also look at some locally handcrafted boards that a friend of mine makes, using regular "old school" polyester resin, fiberglass cloth, and urethane foam construction.
Mike Olsen's construction and designs are certainly a departure from that old school stuff.
The most innovative I ever got when making a new stick was trying out a water-based epoxy resin, and the result wasn't bad. But that stuff was actually more difficult to work with than polyester resin.

I enjoyed riding those long peelers at Twin, when they were at least waist high. Nice spot to surf alone, even if nobody else is on the beach.

I've never wanted to go visit or surf in CR. Too tropical for me.
Also I have heard that recently, it has become one of the most crime-ridden tourist destinations in the Americas.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
That usually was my standard approach for making it down a chute like that one.
I would let some other skiers go first, and watch their lines, and then plan all my turns , visualizing perfect execution. Jump or slide off the cornice, lose it in the middle of my first turn, catch a tip, and wipe out into an out-of-control slide to the bottom of the chute. Wave to let others know I am OK, get up, clean the snow from my goggles and glasses, not bothering to brush off the snow from my garb, since I'm just going to wipe out again soon, anyway.
Take off again and try to keep my concentration focused. Etc.

Latest posts