To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
I've pretty much been a one ski quiver kind of guy. I haven't bought a ski under 110 in at least 10 years so just used to skiing bigger planks I'm sure I lose a little performance on groomers and bumps but whatever. The profiles and technology in skis now are pretty friendly to all conditions.
You lose more than a little performance but I'm sure some people are just fine fishing an 8wt for trout too. ;)

With that said, I'm considering getting a 100 or 105 type of ski just for carving or skiing hard pack. I haven't been in this market for over a decade so don't even know where to start. You ski bros have any suggestions?
I'm likely the wrong person since I wouldn't consider anything over 90mm underfoot good for carving or hard pack and spend most normal powder days both inbounds and touring on something between 95-100 underfoot. I do have the super fat skis but they see little use since I don't find them enjoyable unless there's a massive amount of new snow or meadow skipping in mid winter avi conditions in the Rockies.

I have no specific recommendations as I too have been making compromises inbounds with only two pairs of non-touring skis (95mm and 127mm) with all the others trending on the weight weenie side for touring / recreational skimo.

Funny you mention that as we were just talking about this the other day on the lift.

I've pretty much been a one ski quiver kind of guy. I haven't bought a ski under 110 in at least 10 years so just used to skiing bigger planks I'm sure I lose a little performance on groomers and bumps but whatever. The profiles and technology in skis now are pretty friendly to all conditions.

With that said, I'm considering getting a 100 or 105 type of ski just for carving or skiing hard pack. I haven't been in this market for over a decade so don't even know where to start. You ski bros have any suggestions?

Yesterday was bluebird

Hey Swimmy - I used my JJ's which are 120 under foot as my sole ski for the last two seasons. Love them, you get used to the width pretty quick and with the early rise profile of these fat skis they carve surprisingly well. I have family members who work in ski shops so this year I picked up a pair of Line, Sick Days. These are 94 under good and are a kick in the ass. They are 131 in the tip so they have a shovel to help with float. They make a version of these that are 106 under foot. So many good ski choices these days. I've got to go load up... snowed hard last night at Stevens. The mountains are calling ;)

Last edited:

DannyS

My corduroy crushers are 84 underfoot and I absolutely love them. If you’re going to “rip the roy” go all out and get something under 90.

It’s fun having skis that are polar opposites! Makes switching things up more exciting.

Heck, I have a pair of graphite ski poles made by a fly rod company. Back in the 1980's. cross country skiers were looking for extra long ski poles for the new skating technique. A rod builder in Carson City Nevada stepped up, with the "Ski Art " pole. They were used by the US Biathlon team for a year, then usual pole manufacturers caught up and the rod builder faded away. I still have'em, nice Fenwick brown color, used them today!

Swimmy - check out Line Supernatural 100's.
Funny you mention that as we were just talking about this the other day on the lift.

Yesterday was bluebird

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Pretty solid tour this morning. 3000 vertical feet, 7.4 miles, 4 hours car to car.

Dawn patrol

Started to lighten up and the snow looked perfect

We ascended through the forest to a saddle, then followed a ridge to the summit.

We picked our slope and after assessing stability dropped into super fun, playful terrain.

And it was glorious.

Feeling real good about life right now.

You lose more than a little performance but I'm sure some people are just fine fishing an 8wt for trout too. ;)

I'm likely the wrong person since I wouldn't consider anything over 90mm underfoot good for carving or hard pack and spend most normal powder days both inbounds and touring on something between 95-100 underfoot. I do have the super fat skis but they see little use since I don't find them enjoyable unless there's a massive amount of new snow or meadow skipping in mid winter avi conditions in the Rockies.

I have no specific recommendations as I too have been making compromises inbounds with only two pairs of non-touring skis (95mm and 127mm) with all the others trending on the weight weenie side for touring / recreational skimo.
I skied a "coral reef" Hahnenkamm a few years ago on tuned GS skis. The whole time I was wishing for my 100s. Kinda what you are comfortable with, and have confidence in.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Had another great day on the JJ's, report said 6-10in overnight but was more like 6". It was still a fun day and skied more today than all yr combined, but damn I have a long way to go still.
The 127 underfoot of the JJ's carve very well and even did some bumps well and will only get better as I get used to them, and the little bit of performance loss is fine as I'm not on the world cup so who cares, I still ski faster than 90% up there, even being older and fatter to boot...:D

Had another great day on the JJ's, report said 6-10in overnight but was more like 6". It was still a fun day and skied more today than all yr combined, but damn I have a long way to go still.
The 127 underfoot of the JJ's carve very well and even did some bumps well and will only get better as I get used to them, and the little bit of performance loss is fine as I'm not on the world cup so who cares, I still ski faster than 90% up there, even being older and fatter to boot...:D
Beer gut + gravity + good wax = speed!

Latest posts