To be a legitimate fly fishing bro, do you also need to be a heady skier?

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
There are climbers.....and there is Alex Honnold.

Amazing how 1 man can be that far ahead of the rest of the world.

Back to the slopes.
Sunny side, the doors, teddy bear chute, right angle......i love Crystal Mnt.
Me too - my best friends family owns stock in the company so we get $5 lift tickets to crystal as a perk. Love that place

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Any of you skiers ever wipe out and slide into a tree hole? I did, once. Nobody saw me go into it. There I was, upside down, underneath the limbs, up against a tree trunk. Feeling very alone.
I didn't panic, though, since my head wasn't buried too deep, and I clawed myself some breathing space. Then I assessed my situation. I had to unhook my safety straps first, then release my bindings, and then I could get upright and pull myself out, using the tree branches, while my legs flailed in the powder to find support. I had to get my skiis while I was in the hole, and push them out ahead of me. Total bummer. I finally made it out; otherwise, you wouldn't be reading this. Never wanted to screw up like that again!

I used to drive up to Mt Hood Meadows or Timberline to go night skiing alone. I hit a closer, area at lower elevation once or twice....Ski Bowl.
The company I worked for had me in Portland for 6 weeks of training one Winter in the early 1980's, and they let us out before 3pm. Sometimes they freed us at 2pm. I was staying in a hotel, at company expense. The hotel bar was crawling with hookers and undercover vice. Not my kind of place to hang out.
There was Iittle else for me to do, except go night skiing.
One night at Mt Hood Meadows, during a Full Moon, I trespassed beyond the open areas to some closed runs where I had the entire run to myself! I made a coupe of "outlaw" runs, and then thought the better of that, and skiied my final runs within the open areas. Didn't want to push my luck! What fun, though!

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Any of you skiers ever wipe out and slide into a tree hole? I did, once. Nobody saw me go into it. There I was, upside down, underneath the limbs, up against a tree trunk. Feeling very alone.
Yep, if it wasn't for a fallen tree / thick branch laying sideways two feet under the snow in just the right spot I'd be dead.

To the original question: I’d say that there are similarities between reading the fall lines on a mountain and reading currents in a river. But anything that teaches you to observe can help you to achieve the heady status of legitimate fly fishing bro.[/QUOTE]
Another similarity, if you're NOT observant, in both sports, you will find yourself up in some trees. Ahhh, the fragrance of spruce and sap on my face.

Latest posts