FS Sage 508 and spool

Selling a 508 w/ extra spool in excellent condition. Pics show a ding on the frame and a couple nicks on the spool, otherwise pristine. The other spool is pristine and unmarked. Comes with a suede Sage reel cover and an original Sage box. I have only fished it on a trout spey. It's just a bit too much reel for the trout around here. If you are interested in Sage's most iconic reel, this is a lovely specimen $425 for reel and spool shipped conusa. I'm happy to send more pics upon request. IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0232.jpg . $425 for reel and spool shipped conusa. I'm happy to send more pics upon request. IMG_0235.jpg IMG_0236.jpg

Last edited:
IEven though this 500 reel is “recommended” by model number to be an 8 weight reel, by modern standards this would be an awesome 6 weight reel. Machined, too. I believe at the time it may have been the only gear/pawl reel Hardy made that was machined, not cast.

With all due respect, this is way too big for a 6 wt reel, even with DT6F line in it. I use a 506 and 505 for DT6F. I use the 508 for singlehand steelhead with a 7 or 8 weight line, depending on the rod.
With all due respect, we disagree. I have a 505L I use on 4 and 5 weights, a 506 on 5 and 6 (WF), a 508 6 & 7 (WF), and a 509 on 8’s. It sounds like I prefer a reel with a slightly larger diameter than do you...

Given it’s weight and diameter, the 508 is just fine in certain 6’s, particularly on a 9’6” or 10’ stick. Perfect.

But, that’s me.

Latest posts