Catch-and-release mortality of steelhead at center of Idaho fishing ban debate

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
What sucks is, sport fishers are being forced to atone for the sins of dam builders, irrigators, commercial fishers, tribal fishers, polluters, and the lot. The .orgs weaken the sport fishers resolve by creating devisivness amongst in the ranks. Sport fishers, whether bait, bead, fly, plunk......, have done little to nothing that has lead us to the state we are in, yet we are the ones paying the price.
To be fair it is mostly the Wild Fish Conservency. Unfortunately, they have gotten some otherwise well meaning groups to join them in some of their suits.

Go sox,
Cds

Buzzy

What sucks is, sport fishers are being forced to atone for the sins of dam builders, irrigators, commercial fishers, tribal fishers, polluters, and the lot. The .orgs weaken the sport fishers resolve by creating devisivness amongst in the ranks. Sport fishers, whether bait, bead, fly, plunk......, have done little to nothing that has lead us to the state we are in, yet we are the ones paying the price.
You left out maybe the most important contributor to declining fish populations: population of man on planet earth. There are just too many of us. Man keeps populating, expanding his territory at the expense of Mother Earth.

ribka

Yes but I think banning what they want to ban is excellent, and if that’s what it takes to make that happen.....future generations of steelhead will benefit from this single closed season
Don’t you think?

I agree that non profits suing the state isn’t the right way to go. But what other recourse is there, really?
So closing all recreational steelhead fishing is the answer in OR WA ID CA?

At least fly fishing because the mortality rate is higher.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I'll thank you right now! I have no kids, either.
But do ya think that made any difference in the world? Seemed like a good idea at the time, anyway, from my own particular point of view.
I'd probably have raised some punk baIt fishers.
Yeah, until I was thirty I spent my whole life whacking fish both commercially & sport fishing. Then I got a real job @ Boeing and started flyfishing and quit killing every fish that I encountered. If I had kids they would likely have been plunking geniuses and wiped out the remaining fish stocks. This is the fate of a kid born on the south side of Aberdeen in 1960 .

Charles Sullivan

So closing all recreational steelhead fishing is the answer in OR WA ID CA?

At least fly fishing because the mortality rate is higher.
The mortality rate is not higher. There is all sorts of data. You are being as intentionally divisive as WSC. You generally behave as they do so no one is surprised.

Go sox,
Cds

Salmo_g

Why would any group choose this fight?
It's called "low hanging fruit." The State's Incidental Taker Permit (ITP) expired 8 years ago, and even though Idaho re-applied in timely fashion, NMFS hasn't gotten around to re-newing it. It's a slam dunk legal win for WFC if the State doesn't comply with their demands.

ribka

The mortality rate is not higher. There is all sorts of data. You are being as intentionally divisive as WSC. You generally behave as they do so no one is surprised.

Go sox,
Cds
So fly fisherman , typically take longer to land fish than a conventional gear fisherman and stress fish out more , have a more positive impact on steelhead mortality on c&r fishing?

That makes no sense

Fly fisherman love to separate themselves from the recreational fishing community in their typical sanctimonious manner ( your post and jmills who’s blog is dedicated partially to steelhead fishing) and it sure ain’t helping.

If you want to save the fishery then just stop fishing , or join the CCA and make meaningful impact like I did 30 years ago.

Last edited:

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
So fly fisherman , typically take longer to land fish than a conventional gear fisherman and stress fish out more , have a more positive impact on steelhead mortality on c&r fishing?

That makes no sense

Fly fisherman love to separate themselves from the recreational fishing community in their typical sanctimonious manner ( your post and jmills who’s blog is dedicated partially to steelhead fishing) and it sure ain’t helping.

If you want to save the fishery then just stop fishing , or join the CCA and make meaningful impact like I did 30 years ago.
This is silly. Fish inhale bait and tend to get hooked deeper than artificial flies/lures. Treble hooks tear up fish's mouths, especially with smaller trout/smolt that are bycaught when salmon or steelhead fishing. We know this, everyone knows this. Every fly fisherman I know lands their fish as quickly as possible. I've rarely found myself undergunned with fly gear to the point where there would be a significant difference between the time it would take someone on conventional gear to land the same fish. If you know fly anglers who are struggling with this then you should remind them to use the appropriate gear for the size of fish they are targeting and to play them as quickly as possible.

Charles Sullivan

Spare

That makes no sense

Spare me your self rightous bullshit. Steelhead mortality has been studied ad nauseum. Hook location and time out of the water inrease mortality, not gear type. Further fly fishermen dont take longer to land fish. I land fish as quck as any gear guy. Neither of us kill a higher % of fish.
You are the dude seperating fishermen. Im the guy calling you out for it. Are we clear?

Go sox,
Cds

Latest posts