Roll Back (less wetland protection)

HBB

Basically, under the proposed new rule, if you dump pollutants into a stream that runs year-round, the federal government has jurisdiction. But, if you dump the same pollutants into a stream that occasionally dries up*, there's not a damn thing the federal government can do about it.

So, if I have a bunch of leaking chemical drums on my property, and those chemicals run into, say, the Skagit and kill off most of the remaining steelhead, whether I'm held accountable will depend on how the pollutants got there. That wasn't the case under the currently existing rule: the current rule recognizes that everything runs downstream.

*It's a bit more nuanced than that, under the proposed rule there would be "intermittent" streams and "ephemeral" streams, the difference being why they occasionally dry up. This distinction does not exist under the current rule. I do not envy the private landowners who, if this proposed rule takes effect, are going to have to sort out whether the waterways on their properties are intermittent or ephemeral--this is going to create a lot of uncertainty and confusion.

Gene S

So far most of what has been presented on this thread is opinion, speculation, and emotional outburst.
Rewriting the rule is a process.

Last edited:

HBB

So far most of what has been presented on this thread is opinion, speculation, and emotional outburst.

Most of the comments seem consistent with the agencies' own analysis in the draft NPRM:

EPA-HQ-OW-2018-0149 said:
[N]arrowing the scope of CWA regulatory jurisdiction over waters may result in a reduction in the ecosystem services provided by some waters, and as a result, some entities may be adversely impacted. Some business sectors that depend on habitat, such as those catering to hunters or anglers, or that require water treatment to meet production needs, could experience a greater impact relative to other sectors.

tallguy

And making the original rule was also a process, presumably one that was deliberate, considered, and reasonable.. also likely largely free of opinion, speculation, and emotional outburst.

Also happily emotional when it comes to clean air, clean water, healthy people and healthly ecosystems, especially wet ones full of happy fish. Cant think of too many other things worth so much.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info