I need a fly tying robot.....

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I seriously struggle with bulk. As @Adam Saarinen mentioned though, a few fly swaps helped me with that. Even there though, I found myself tying the dozen for the swap and another dozen or so experimental patterns.

I love to play around on the vice, I love to think about what the pattern will do under the water, I love to think about how fish will respond to what I've tied. Ultimately, I tie for me and for the fish.

holtad

WFF Supporter
I have some of the same issues @jasmillo I rarely have time to tie more than a couple of flies in any one sitting and after 3 or 4 (the first one is usually terrible) I usually have to head to bed or take care of family stuff and I rarely come back to the same exact pattern next time.

The "what's in your vice" thread has been terrimazing for me. Folks are posting 100's of amazing src/coho patterns & I want to replicate way more than I'll ever have time to. I end up binging on a type of fly for a little while (flatwings, shrimps, clousers, pile worms etc...) & I end up with 3 flies each of 4 different shrimp patterns. Keeps me interested and IMO, SRC aren't too picky so if they're willing to bite one shrimp pattern they'll probably take any of them (within reason). Down side is i never really get good at any of them and I buy way more materials than I probably need :) These "problems" are the best problems.

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
My ADD kicks in after two or three of the same pattern. This has been a lifelong problem, but I'm tying again after a fifty year layoff. Fifty years between flies tied. I'm enjoying that rush once again of getting a hit on something I made. Even more fun when I go freestyle and just make shit up and see what happens.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I always had trouble with adding dubbing to the thread. That was one of the reasons that I gave up tying. But the shakes also fitted in there.

Steve Slater

I do bulk in stages over several days.
Say I want to know out three dozen stinger clousers.
I’ll add the stinger loops to all of them. Then add the eyes the next day. Bellies the next day then finally the wings.
I just can’t tie each one, one at a time.
I probably have close to 1,000 clousers at my place, but I still continue to tie them!

I always pretty much tie two of any pattern I think myself and the fish will like.
SF
Rather than doing a single step on all flies at once, my main thing is to get all the materials prepared before I start. I know this is standard practice for commercial production, but it took me a while to actually do it at my own bench. Stack all the hair, strip all the hackle, beads on the hooks, wire cut to a manageable length, etc. Basically, I get in a groove tying a particular pattern and I have found that it takes about half the time if all the materials are prepped and ready to go. Having a rotary vice helps a lot, too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info