Why people in eastern Washington don't like wind farms.....

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
The "what if" here is: What if Seattle had to put up with wind machines in their backyard? Would they use better (and viable) energy technologies? Right now out of sight out of mind is polluting E WA unnecessarily. Can we cover Newport Hills with wind machines? Please?

So because W WA pays more tax than E WA, W WA can just pollute at will.

By your logic: If you have the money you can dump on anyone and that makes it OK.

You're missing the point left and right and just grabbing at something to be offended by. It's not about being out of sight, out of mind for western WA. The wind farms are where they are because the wind blows like a mofo up the gorge every damn day. If the wind blew like that in King County then you can bet your ass they would be there instead. It's not a random occurrence that they exist where they do, and we could say the exact same thing about the dams, JFC...

What if there wasn't a sprawling metropolis in Puget Sound that demanded the energy eastern WA produces? Would you guys be sitting here crying about not having the jobs and industry that these dams provide?

longputt

You're missing the point left and right and just grabbing at something to be offended by. It's not about being out of sight, out of mind for western WA. The wind farms are where they are because the wind blows like a mofo up the gorge every damn day. If the wind blew like that in King County then you can bet your ass they would be there instead. It's not a random occurrence that they exist where they do, and we could say the exact same thing about the dams, JFC...

What if there wasn't a sprawling metropolis in Puget Sound that demanded the energy eastern WA produces? Would you guys be sitting here crying about not having the jobs and industry that these dams provide?

No, I think you're assuming that it blows enough in E WA to make wind economically viable...it does not. The wind machines are strictly there to make Seattle feel green. If you want to feel green put the wind machines up in Newport Hills that way you can see them all of the time and feel green 24-7 like those of us in E WA.

One could never possibly imagine an economy without Seattle...what would we ever do?

O' Clarkii Stomias

You fuckers in eastern Washington owe us!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Cell towers are ugly too.
We have plenty of those in Seattle. Slap an extension on the top with a blade and generate some juice.
Add charging stations on the bottom of each for Teslas, Leafs, cell phones and plenty of lighting for homeless tents and injecting drugs.
Win, win situation for saving eastern WA from tower blight......
SF

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Screenshot_20181217-205007.png I've pretty much gotten use to the windmills and don't mind them where I hunt.

Here is what I dont understand. Why is the blame on Western Washington when it was Eastern Washington Residents that sold out and allowed them?

longputt

Longputt, it's all.good. Fusion is really the answer. The person that figures it out will rule the universe. I truly hope that I live long enough to see it happen.

No problem at all. You could not offend me; it's not possible. In fact the more passionate people are the more I like them even if I disagree. I'm sure we'd get along OK if we met.

We all have opinions and they all stink (even mine) it's fun to spar with like-minded folks. I hate wind machines because they closed hunting areas my family has hunted since the 1920's.

The sun is fusion so let's make it work! PV all the way!

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
You fuckers in eastern Washington owe us!

That's not what I said but if that's the correlation you want to fabricate then that's fine. I'm definitely not one to prescribe to the idea that there is an "us" or "them" in this equation. I'm from the West side but I pretty much split my time between the two. I've been hunting and fishing east of the mountains literally as long as I can remember. I'd venture to bet I spend more time doing those things in eastern WA than most of the folks commenting here who live there. Judging by the amount of fishing content you guys participate in here I could almost guarantee that. I've probably covered more miles chasing roosters this season in Grant County than most folks who live there do in their lifetime. My family lives east of the mountains. I have a vested interest in this shit, more than most. If you want to make me "them" then that's your prerogative, but you would be wrong to do so. The windmills don't bother me but I understand if they bother you. The dams on the rivers I've grown up fishing bother me far more, and I'm interested in alternatives to them, that's pretty much what my position boils down to. These discussions get more circular every time we have them. Anyone feel like we're closer to solving the problem?

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
View attachment 187065 I've pretty much gotten use to the windmills and don't mind them where I hunt.

Here is what I dont understand. Why is the blame on Western Washington when it was Eastern Washington Residents that sold out and allowed them?

In the beginning that was true. Everybody thought they were cool.

The last four or five wind projects east of the Cascades were APPROVED by the Governor using the Growth Managment Act to override local zoning and decisions.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
In the beginning that was true. Everybody thought they were cool.

The last four or five wind projects east of the Cascades were APPROVED by the Governor using the Growth Managment Act to override local zoning and decisions.
But they were built on private land still right with the owners permission?

Put it this way. If your neighbor buys a giant ugly flag from somewhere and hangs it and you don't like the sight of it do you blame the flag company?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info