FS Mop Flies and Midges - I finally finished some flies good enough to sell - Carter

bartigm

Kicked
Hi!, I am 9 and I like to tie flies and that pretty well sums it up. I will warn you I am not an expert but I do pretty well. I throw out the ones my dad says shouldn't make the cut. The mop flies are egg - orange colored with peacock neck dubbing and the jigs are 1/100th, size 12 hook. The white with red flash comes with a Chartreuse head. The tiny midge flies are so little but come with tungsten heads and are either a size 20 or a number 22 I think a couple maybe smaller. The body on each came from spools of clear flash, purple midge, red. peacock and don't worry, I put some loon body UV protection (I love that stuff) on each fly because the flash stuff is real delicate-I broke it like 100 times when I was trying to tie them. Anyway, if anybody wants them to let me know. Finally, I added some ruby midges with a white tungsten head, drib and silverwire, with peacock. I don't care how much you pay I am using my dad's stuff to tie them. :) Just kidding. - our PayPal address is [email protected]. just send a small donation and tell me how to ship them. I am saving up for a fly rod for next spring I know it will take a while and I don't have any other way to make money. Thank you so much and sorry about the pictures I sent some flies to Tristan a nice man on this website that goes by Tmik and he is going to take better photos - Carter.

Oh yeah, I added a picture of me and my best fish ever (I caught it on a mop fly using my dads spinning rod. It is not as nice as the fish the experts on this webpage have shown. Thanks again, Your friend Carter.

Attachments

• 20181230_145222.jpg
    20181230_145222.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20181230_145213.jpg
    20181230_145213.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 155
  • used.JPG
    used.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I throw out the ones my dad says shouldn't make the cut.
Those look pretty good, Carter!. I started tying when I was 8 - almost 63 years ago. Don't throw-out flies which may not turn-out as good as desired; use them - they all catch fish. As my Dad told me long ago when I was disappointed with my results: "There are 2 kinds of flies; those that catch fish & those that catch fishermen. These will catch fish; with practice, you'll be tying the other kind, too."

Reactions: SHD

paulrad

Hi Carter,
I picked up your flies from the mail today. The eyes look good! We'll see what I can do with them tomorrow...

Reactions: SHD

2kayaker

Hi Carter,
That is a really big trout from that stream you caught , you can be proud of that success. Could you tie me 6 streamers of the old pattern " spruce fly " on #6 long shank hooks ? Also, please crush down the barbs with needle nose pliers before you tie each fly. ( sometimes crushing the barb breaks the hook). You can use the "conversation" function of this web page to alert me when you want and we'll finish the deal. Thank you, Michael at Cain Lake, Wa

bartigm

Kicked
Michael, My nine-year-old lefty Kreh just ran in the room - shook me to said we are tying streamers today - a spruce fly. I told him I don't know how to do that yet it, he assured me it would be a breeze he watched a video, we would figure it out. Carter lives to expand his knowledge of fishing and loves this knowledge community around a sport that transcends age. Thanks for your request, I've sat with him hours while he tied flies and laughed in amazement at his patience... this request pits patience against my ignorance. He wants to learn to tie the fly you request. We will give a go and thanks for you and the rest of this awesome fishing community.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Hi Carter,
This is perfect! I made a New Year's resolution to fish more midges this year, but I hate tying those little things...
How does a buck a piece sound for all 18?
Let me know, and I'll send it Paypal. They're small enough you can probably just wrap in a couple pieces of paper and stick in an envelope regular mail. Thanks!
~Leigh

bartigm

Kicked
Yeah!!!! I was starting to lose hope that anyone would want them. You made my day and yes a dollar a fly is more than enough and probably too much so if you want to send less I will still be happy. Our PayPal address is [email protected]. Thank you so much. Carter

Attachments

• 2018-12-19 19.23.29.jpg
    2018-12-19 19.23.29.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
You're welcome, and payment has been sent. Looking forward to getting them! What a great way to build a fly rod fund; that rod should come preloaded with fishy karma!

2kayaker

Hi Carter,
Did you find out how old the fly pattern 'Spruce Fly ' is that you are tying up? There is a web blogger at Flytying: New and Old: spruce fly ,that has lots of patterns, their materials and some tying directions. I'm hoping to fish your spruce flies on a bamboo flyrod that was built that same year in Bangor, Maine, by a very famous early fly rod builder named Fred E. Thomas. The 'spruce fly' is a great pattern so save a few for yourself. Thanks for joining an old brotherhood and sisterhood too, that enjoy fly fishing.
Best Regards,
Michael

bartigm

Kicked
Mr. Michael I sure did and I think I have the supplies to tie them I will work on them this week for you. Thank you for showing me that fly - I like stuff with red and peacock, I found some duck feathers for wings. Happy New Year!!!!

2kayaker

Great , Carter !
I'm looking forward to the first strike with the 100 yr old flyrod usng your 100 yr old 'spruce fly' patterns.
Happy new year to you and your family.
Michael

ryc72

Got the flies from your eBay auction. They look great. Can’t wait to fish them. Thank you. Happy new year!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts