Wanted Buying a Winston Rod for a 9 Year Old

tackleman

Don't want to rain on your parade as it sounds a nice one - BUT - that rod is wrong for a young beginning fly fisher. Mostly it is too long!! As a casting instructor I suggest a rod which is 1 1/2 times the height of the youth. Although money is tight - I do appreciate making this activity fit his budget - try to find a way to get a shorter rod. Some time ago when Winston entered the mid-price rod market with their 'Ibis' rods, they had a 7'6" rod for a 5wt. line which was designed for the beginning angler who had a dedicated green stick parent. A search might turn one up.

Richard E

Don't want to rain on your parade as it sounds a nice one - BUT - that rod is wrong for a young beginning fly fisher. Mostly it is too long!! As a casting instructor I suggest a rod which is 1 1/2 times the height of the youth. Although money is tight - I do appreciate making this activity fit his budget - try to find a way to get a shorter rod. Some time ago when Winston entered the mid-price rod market with their 'Ibis' rods, they had a 7'6" rod for a 5wt. line which was designed for the beginning angler who had a dedicated green stick parent. A search might turn one up.

Agree 80% with you on this. However, if a youth were going to have a 9’ rod, with its soft tip and ovrrall forgiving action the BIIx is a good choice.

bartigm

Kicked
Thanks, tackleman, I looked for a shorter rod but they were all three weights. I have one. I was afraid it would be too delicate and end up broken. Yet, I will take your advice and have him cast my sight fishing rod - see if it works better. We mainly fish tight creeks for wild trout so it is unlikely at least at first he will do much more than short drops. Someday he will be casting a long distance, so, thanks for sharing your expertise. It helps me know what to expect.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts