2019 Oregon Licenses: Heads up

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Oregon has moved to their new mobile app licensing system. I'll make this short and just get to the point: It's an absolute mess. Here's a list of a few of the issues:

1. Despite their claims, the app does not work when out of service range to record your catch. This presents some serious challenges when it comes to being compliant with recording a catch. A law enforcement officer was recently asked what we're to do in this scenario, and he said it's OUR responsibility to get to cell service to record our catch before resuming fishing. Yeah, not happening.
  2. The user interface has so, so many issues. My current favorite is that you have to scroll through an ordered list, one-by-one, of each catch area in order to select it and record your catch. There's several hundred. If you accidentally touch the screen outside this scroll menu, you get to start over again. There is no search function.
  3. Some are reporting some of their hunting tags not showing up on their app license.
  4. This app license is a day old, so I'm sure the problems will pile up as we all get to use them.
There's a paper license option. But instead of the nice, water-resistant receipt-width paper they've been on for years. They're now 8.5x11 printer paper. Let's add this to the fun: Tried to go in to the Dick's in Gresham to get my wife's license on New Years Eve. They said they weren't currently selling 2019 fishing licenses. Same story at Fred Meyer. so we went home and went online. Made her an online account, went to buy a license, and said we had to call in to ODFW office to verify her identity. Of course there's no answer there. So yesterday, her and my son got to go on a float with me and didn't fish (we were mostly just out to enjoy the day and splash around on the raft in the upper Sandy). Still, it should not be this hard.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
This was very obviously a situation where some bean counters went with the lowest bid, not knowing a damn thing about software. This is an app project I could have done a better job at when I was in college for software development. It's a one person job (with how simple this app is). It could NOT have been that expensive... Well, it wouldn't be if they had people on staff who knew the first thing about what it was they were trying to achieve when they took bids.

Tinker

Coigrich
I doesn't make the least bit of sense from a resource conservation point of view, either. Hypothetically, you could buy a license and combined angling tag online (to print it at home), and I'm told nothing stops you from printing or copying it 10 or 20 times so when you limit out on sturgeon or wild salmon/steelhead, you could get rid of that tag and start on a fresh copy...

A licensing agent suggested I make copies in case I let the rain destroy one, but it took only a slightly more devious mind than mine to see that loophole.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
A licensing agent suggested I make copies in case I let the rain destroy one, but it took only a slightly more devious mind than mine to see that loophole.
Yeah, that paper loophole issue has been discussed on some of the Oregon forums. This is going to be an absolute dumpster fire. I don't understand why they couldn't just keep the licenses they had, which were perfectly fine... Then give us the option to report our catches online after the fact.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Does the app look like the Washington one? They should have collaborated on it to save costs.

Screenshot_20181204-063634~2.png

Reactions: JS

Tinker

Coigrich
I don't understand why they couldn't just keep the licenses they had, which were perfectly fine... Then give us the option to report our catches online after the fact.

That's what I thought they'd do when they announced the e-system, but apparently that made way too much sense.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
  1. Despite their claims, the app does not work when out of service range to record your catch. This presents some serious challenges when it comes to being compliant with recording a catch. A law enforcement officer was recently asked what we're to do in this scenario, and he said it's OUR responsibility to get to cell service to record our catch before resuming fishing. Yeah, not happening..
Just change the fishing regulations for fishing in only areas with cell service. Problem solved :p

Then Oregon's regulations would approach Washington's complexity...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This has a class "Out of my Network" action lawsuit written all over it naming ODFW, Verizon, AT & T Sprint and T-Mobile as the defendants.
It will save $1-2 million per year and cost ten times that to fix all the shit that is wrong with the new system.
SF

Last edited:
Reactions: JS

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts