2019 Oregon Licenses: Heads up

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
So if you get checked, your proof of license is contained in the app on your smartphone? I'll need to bring five phones on overnight trips now so my battery doesn't die. Fun.

Buzzy

What happens if you're and old curmudgeon and don't have a smart phone? I know, paper

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
What happens if you're and old curmudgeon and don't have a smart phone? I know, paper
We don't "have to" change and get "updated." But hell I will take an update starting in 1975...every year in fact until I really got it right. ;)...but then , later i want unlimited redo's...

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Well I got a smart phone for Christmas. I have discovered that a smart phone is just a small hand held computer. I have yet given anybody my number as I don't really want to use it. I still have over 90 minutes on my Flip phone.

BrodyDog

So if you get checked, your proof of license is contained in the app on your smartphone? I'll need to bring five phones on overnight trips now so my battery doesn't die. Fun.

Am I the only one that doesn’t fish with my phone? I’d have dunked it many times by now.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Hey Evan, how tough would it be for somebody to hack this app? I tend to keep my personal info offline as much as possible(not on FB, no other apps). Now my name, addy, birthdate, CC# and Ss# are all in one convenient place.

Seems like there should be some liability issues for the state there...

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Hey Evan, how tough would it be for somebody to hack this app? I tend to keep my personal info offline as much as possible(not on FB, no other apps). Now my name, addy, birthdate, CC# and Ss# are all in one convenient place.

Seems like there should be some liability issues for the state there...
I think it's just accessing the same database they already use - so it likely won't be more secure/less secure than things were previously. Your info is stored in their database whether you buy in a store or online. This app is just an interface that talks to that.

Snowspey

Same issue! I bought a license at the Walmart in Troutdale for a day because I didn’t have the annual harvest license and for out of state it made more sense to buy a single day before the end of the year.

...long story short...the guy there WOULD NOT print a copy for me. In fact, he just used his computer to do exactly what I could’ve done on my phone. I had a receipt but that was it. He said I could print it at home (5 hours away) or go to an Office Depot. Zero cell reception when fishing and I caught two that day...could not document the catches until I got reception.

According to myodfw.com, JMT Technology Group was the developer for this project. This is the same company that developed the online systems for WA and ID, among other states.

I recall WA had some growing pains in the beginning and they weren't trying to make their entire system accessable via an app. It will be interesting to see if they can make the offline aspect work.

The FAQ on ODFW's website implies that maybe you can't print more than one game tag. Anyone with experience to verify that? They also said it would be a crime to copy a tag.

Last edited:

the_grube

I just bought the license app online and went through the, 'what if I caught a hatchery steelhead today?' scenario. The drop-downs on the tagging page only let me choose native, chinook and Astoria. What the heck, that's probably close enough.... :). My guess is the local database on my phone is still downloading information from the ODFW servers...

They have to fix the ability to tag game from the app w/o cell connectivity... If they don't I'll leave a metric ton of rotting carp in the Roseburg ODFW parking lot. Once they fix that I'll be fine with this setup, even welcome it. Multi-day trips will be a bit challenging. You can buy a remote charger for $25, https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...g&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt>im=CNqGy6ma7fXw2wEQ4PSv1aGB5svlARiwovULIgNVU0QooPHf4QUw9rrYOw&utm_campaign=125181302&gclid=Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0z_jz5oV0yHkZF8yyS4ghyRboJt61UiGL46zYfty2hXwTjuRYl8NlAaAn59EALw_wcB Keep the phone off except to tag fish and take pictures, layoff candy crush and it should be fine.

Also, I highly recommend life-proof cases. They're expensive, but worth every penny. You can shoot underwater video with them if you want.

Bring on the tech!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts