2019 Oregon Licenses: Heads up

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I'll be fine with it once they iron out the bugs. They REALLY need to make some kind of search/autofill type feature on the catch code thing. Scrolling through is ridiculous.

I'm also going to bring my own paper/pen in a dry box just in case of app failure - that way I can at least show intent... which is about the best you can do in that scenario.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I'll be fine with it once they iron out the bugs. They REALLY need to make some kind of search/autofill type feature on the catch code thing. Scrolling through is ridiculous.

I'm also going to bring my own paper/pen in a dry box just in case of app failure - that way I can at least show intent... which is about the best you can do in that scenario.
While you have been in Oregon, just how many times have you been checked??

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I guess I should of added license. to my question.
Not once. But the Sherriff in Camas likes to check boats in that stretch of the Columbia often. I've seen him out there every time I've been out there in my boat. I'm usually on the OR side, though, and he doesn't head over to that side. I figure I may get checked by him at some point, but not sure he checks for OR licenses or if he just sticks to WA licenses (both are valid in the Columbia along the state line). Never seen a game warden in Oregon, though.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Not once. But the Sherriff in Camas likes to check boats in that stretch of the Columbia often. I've seen him out there every time I've been out there in my boat. I'm usually on the OR side, though, and he doesn't head over to that side. I figure I may get checked by him at some point, but not sure he checks for OR licenses or if he just sticks to WA licenses (both are valid in the Columbia along the state line). Never seen a game warden in Oregon, though.

Only time I've ever been checked is when they are training new wardens. I guess once you pass the test you don't have to bother with such details.

I'm wondering if I should just carry my original iPhone and if they ask for it fumble it into the water. Shit, sorry man...;)

the_grube

Only time I've ever been checked is when they are training new wardens. I guess once you pass the test you don't have to bother with such details.

I'm wondering if I should just carry my original iPhone and if they ask for it fumble it into the water. Shit, sorry man...;)
sounds risky to me. I watch NCIS. I'm pretty sure they'd send a diving team out to find the phone, then send it to Abby. She could 'read the data off the memory card' and you'd be up fecile crick wit' no paddle

1546473001505.png

GAT

Dumbfounded
What happens if you're and old curmudgeon and don't have a smart phone? I know, paper
I'm one. My phone is a flip phone. It primarily was purchased to work as a phone not a Tri-Quarter.

Soooo.... I printed off my license, cut it down to size and put it in my wallet. I didn't buy a salmon/steelhead tag so I have no idea what the paper versions of those look like.

If I'm reading the thread correctly, if you are using the smart phone route, you record the fish you tag via the Internet/cell? And as pointed out, that can be tricky if there is no cell service in the middle of nowhere ... which is where we end up fishing much of the time.

You can't record it in your phone as a file? Cell contact is required to "tag" a fish? If that's the case I can see trouble brewing.

Tinker

Coigrich
Yes, the same "make many copies" idea applies to hunt tags.

ODFW claims you can tag your fish without cellular service, but some (most) who have tried to test that claim say that it fails. Where I live, if you travel inland a mile away from US 101, there's no cellular service, so BAH!

I don't think of myself as a Luddite, but I use an old iPhone 4s because it was one of the last generation of semi-clever radio phones that fits in my shirt pocket, and I never "upgraded" because I don't want to be in constant contact with anyone. Like OMJ, when I go fishing that phone is safe and warm, tucked comfortably out of sight in my truck - where it belongs.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
just got on yesterday....agreed, that app is a complete clusterfuck.

and now parts of the actual website isn't working properly.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I'm a complete software dummy. It they do this in Montana, I'd be screwed to figure it all out

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Anybody tried to get a printed copy of the invasive species permit on the old waterproof paper? All I can find on the website says it can come from a licensed retailer. I sure hope they don't intend for every SUP and kayaker to carry their phones...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts