Good Idea or Lame Idea??

Might not even be original but I tied a hook onto the front of this jig hook, placed a bead so a small midge dropper could hang from the front. Has anyone seen this? Is it lame? Could be fished without the dropper as well. I just cut the hook at the bend like I would a pin. First attempt.
I’m thinking a jig leech as the front fly
Thoughts?? 873A1F62-555C-4D9B-983C-1D0F0E4AEDE6.jpeg

troutpocket

Cool! You may need to bind a bit more of the cut hook shank to keep it from coming loose. Otherwise, give it a try and let us know how it works.

I just put my jig and balanced flies as the bottom bug. Usually with a micro leech, generic nymph, or chironomid above.

Meeshka

Done something similar. Used #8 jig hook with vertical eye (as you would see on cast leade head jigs. For the extension used appropriate size stich pin, bead either glass or lead. Tied as micro leach. works great under an indicator float!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Cool! You may need to bind a bit more of the cut hook shank to keep it from coming loose. Otherwise, give it a try and let us know how it works.

I just put my jig and balanced flies as the bottom bug. Usually with a micro leech, generic nymph, or chironomid above.
Gee, I can see nothing wrong with tying off to the front hook. Wait what is this at the end of my line, well I’ll be it is just a hook eye.

I did this very thing in my attempt to create a horizontal pattern fished vertically under an indicator. This was before I heard bout the straight pin idea. I tied a bunch of double eyed patterns, and at first the cut off eye was used as the balance point. In my first attempts I didn’t secure it enough, just like @troutpocket mentioned and on a few fish I pulled up just the eye. Ultimately I never tie the balanced or jig fly as the mid Fly. My middle fly balances or sits horizontal because I tie my dropper tippet into the eye of the middle fly and then my weighted dropper pulls the eye down. I never tie to the hook bend.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I did a thread on this a couple years back, pretty much the same except with the bead on the jig hook. It worked, I caught fish on it just fine - both the leech and whatever I was dropping off of it. But, like Ira said, you can accomplish the same thing with a standard leech, attached to the leader and weighted dropper.

Latest posts