Any advice on fishing San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico?

aplTyler

Inept Steelheader
I'm heading out for a week stay at a vacation home in San Jose Del Cabo in late January, and I really want to get some fishing in (gear or fly doesn't matter).

Does anyone have any experience with the charter boats/panga guides down there? I personally would love to chase rooster fish or something near shore, but passing on potential tuna and dorado fishing seems insane.

Any thoughts? The house I'm staying at is right near the beach and I have a good 8 weight, saltwater reel, and have purchased some flies that should suffice to maybe take down to the beach and see if any fish want to play. Is that worth my time to do?

I welcome any advice you may have. Thanks!

Beach fishing is do-able but dangerous due to the surf, people have been killed. There are a number of threads here to search that can provide a lot of information.

Personally, I have used Grant Hartman for both inshore and offshore. They can go both gear and fly. I have used him a number of times. Not cheap but very good service. Just google grant hartman baja.

gt

Loreto is the place and you should be packing a 10wt and possibly a 12wt depending. if you are familiar with the bait fish down there, your own flies are worth packing, if not, shop once you get there, but not in Loreto where you would need everything as there is virtually no fly stuff to buy in this village.

SJDC is just to many people for my taste. and if you want to focus on dorado, July thru August is the time to go.

aplTyler

Inept Steelheader
Thanks Jerry. I totally blanked and didn't do a search first. I just read through at least 10 threads on the topic and feel pretty informed now.

Should any mods want to, feel free to delete the thread.

SpudFly

Should be fishing
Stayed at A.
Beach access for vehicle at B.
Caught almost all my fish at C.
D is great protected fishing before 8 AM (it’s a swim area)
Saw guided boat trips at E
F is the swankiest resort I have ever seen in my life.

The beach will annihilate your bare feet over time, so bring footwear.
The shore break will kill you if you let it (you can find my old Cabo post and read the account of a dude losing his buds).

I fished the rocks for protection. A stripping basket would be ideal.

Have fun.

26A88485-E4EA-4131-B294-3E01423BE408.jpeg

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
I'm heading out for a week stay at a vacation home in San Jose Del Cabo in late January, and I really want to get some fishing in (gear or fly doesn't matter).

Does anyone have any experience with the charter boats/panga guides down there? I personally would love to chase rooster fish or something near shore, but passing on potential tuna and dorado fishing seems insane.

Any thoughts? The house I'm staying at is right near the beach and I have a good 8 weight, saltwater reel, and have purchased some flies that should suffice to maybe take down to the beach and see if any fish want to play. Is that worth my time to do?

A small panga will get the job done. Just walk the dock. Plenty will approach you.

Yak

Some pangas on the beach at playa palmilla may be worth a look. We were in the area years ago in Nov and stumbled into the panga captains cleaning a bunch of yellow fin tuna there from the mornings catch...yum.

There's a fairly swank hotel (can't remember the name) due west of the main marina in Cabo. You should be able to google earth it and find a dirt track going up and over to the Pacific side. That hotel has a private 200-300 yard beach. I walked through with backpack and fly rod on numerous occasions and nobody ever said a word, ever. Just strolled right onto the beach. It's secluded, very steep, and certainly sketchy, but is the best place I found to fish on foot in and around the San Jose Del Cabo area.
I fished mostly Trey Combs style popper flies in the surf break. You just have to time your run down the beach, get a cast off, and back up quickly routine. I don't remember ever getting skunked there and evenings were best. I caught needle fish, jacks, some colorful snapper/grouper types, and managed a 12-13lb Rooster from there. Certainly worth it, just be careful and remember that every 6-8th wave is gonna be a sneaker, and if it's really pounding don't even risk it!

Jim Darden

Wow....is that ever a question.....things have really changed on the Baja. Bring money, you can do most anything you like but realize you are in one of the most expensive places in Mexico. If you are not going out in a boat, take a spinning rod and a kabuchi (sp) rig so you can catch live bait. That is the only way you will be able to fish off the beach once the sun is on the water. If you are fluent in Spanish, ask around and you may find an inexpensive panga to rent, if you can take live bait to chum up the fish, especially roosters. they will try to make you troll, if you do you are better off with a spinning rod, trolling twists fly lines.

If you have any interest in fishing the bluewater, Pisces Fleet is the way to go. I have fished aboard the Valerie and Thresher several times and have always been very successful. The crew aboard both will work their asses off for you, unlike some of the other fleets I have fished on down there. The striped marlin bite has been epic this year. There’s some charter boats right in the new marina there in San Jose but the better fishing is generally on the pacific side, so it is a much faster/closer ride from the main Cabo marina

Richard E

Stayed at A.
Beach access for vehicle at B.
Caught almost all my fish at C.
D is great protected fishing before 8 AM (it’s a swim area)
Saw guided boat trips at E
F is the swankiest resort I have ever seen in my life.

The beach will annihilate your bare feet over time, so bring footwear.
The shore break will kill you if you let it (you can find my old Cabo post and read the account of a dude losing his buds).

I fished the rocks for protection. A stripping basket would be ideal.

Have fun.

View attachment 188413
SpudFly, that is one awesome post.

Richard E

I'll be closer to San Jose del Cabo. Near the Palmeiras resort.
That helps a little, but not a lot. I looked up that resort, and I couldn’t find one with that spelling in that area. So, not sure if you are closer to Cabo or East Cape, if you have wheels, etc.

So, I wish I could help more but can’t without further intel, but you’ve gotten some great advice already. In a nutshell, shore fishing will work, but fishing from a panga is usually much more productive, particularly the time of year of your trip. Pangas a great bang for the buck, and a great way to see the area from the water. With license, tip, and boat, total daily bill is about $300 for 6-7 hours. Get a super panga if every thing equal. And, if you are Ok with trolling with gear, it’s highly likely you’ll hook into a striped marlin - they are still pretty thick down there. Wahoo and dorado, and possibly sierra mackerel, should be good, but you’ll need a boat. Roosters should be around, and accessible by shore.

Good luck.

Latest posts