G Loomis / Winston IM6 blank question

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I know at one time, G Loomis rolled IM6 blanks for Winston.
Maybe mid 80's or early 90's?

Where those IM6 blanks rolled to Winston's specs and only used on their Winston rods or did Loomis use the same blanks on their rods as well?
Any insight would be appreciated.
SF

Rock Creek Fan

Loomis rolled to his own tapers for rods sold under his name. Winston Rod serial numbers from about 15,000 up to 43500 were rolled by Loomis for Winston to Winston's specifications. Winston IM6 rods with serial numbers higher than 43500 we're built in house by Winston. That is why Winston warranties start around 43,500.

Last edited:

Rock Creek Fan

Winston rod history I found someplace on the interwebs awhile ago...

Pre late 1973 Winston San Fran offered Bamboo and Glass rods only

Late 1973-1974-Winston San Fran “ERA” rods (Leonard Blanks) Pre-Fisher (San Francisco era) graphite blanks were gray colored with green rod wrappings and yellow stripping on the butt section, which were furnished to Winston by H. L. Leonard (Central Valley, NY). These were crap and brittle and broke easily-not many left around…they fixed this need by moving to Fisher blanks.

Late 1974-1975 Winston San Fran pre-IM6- standard graphite rods (Fisher blanks)- # 0- roughly #1600 - trophy cup logo on rod- this is when they introduced the first “green” pre-IM6 graphite rods, which were produced by J. Kennedy Fisher and furnished to Winston until late 1987-1988

1976-1987 Winston Montana pre-IM6-standard graphite rods (Fisher blanks)- #1600- roughly #12,000- trophy cup logo on rod (#1900 started 1981 production) this is when the standard pre-IM6 trophy cup rods were made in Montana...these tapers were the predecessor to, and basically identical in design to later IM6.

1987-1988/89 Winston first production IM6 w/Trophy cup logo (Loomis blanks) #12,000- roughly #15,000 – both IM6 and Trophy cup logo on rod- Winston's first trial run at introducing rods made from the IM6 graphite composite, which were produced by G. Loomis forever thereafter until Winston began “rolling” their own blanks in late 1994. During the first Loomis IM6 production, they still labeled the rods with both IM6 and the Trophy cup- trying to win customers with new technology and please the old customers not wanting to lose their trophy cup status.

1989-1994/95 Winston IM6 (Loomis blanks) - early roughly #15,000 –#25000 / later #25,000 through roughly #43,500- IM6 on the rod- were all Loomis blanks- Winston designed specs. All rods inscribed as IM6 beginning with serial # of 43500 were actually made from the new WT graphite composite (just another blend of IM6 w/ same exact tapers) and came off Winston’s production line in 1995 and beyond. Winston’s lifetime warranty also began with serial #43500. Winston did not change the “IM6″ moniker on the rods until 2001 when they officially introduced the WT product line. Please note below exceptions.

1995-2001 Winston IM6 (own blanks) roughly #43,500- +/- #80,000 IM6 on the rod- even though #43,500 is known as the end of Loomis made blanks, and the beginning of producing rods from their own new WT graphite composite, Winston also still produced rods from their remaining inventory of Loomis IM6 blanks. Some Loomis blank rods of various rarer model configurations/ lesser produced specialty weights, etc. can be found with serial numbers as late as # 75,000 or even higher (produced with leftover blanks years later)- some Loomis blank rods during this period weren’t labeled at all (no IM6 and no WT on the rod-just the length and weight). Truly Winston's blanks and Loomis blanks were so similar, not only in exact same specs, but in quality, lay-up, visually, they are virtually almost impossible to tell apart. This was obviously done by design and planned to be that way.

2001+ Winston WT (own blanks) roughly #80,000 + WT on the rod

Stonefish

Loomis rolled to his own tapers for rods sold under his name. Winston Rod serial numbers from about 15,000 up to 43500 were rolled by Loomis for Winston to Winston's specifications. Winston IM6 rods with serial numbers higher than 43500 we're built in house by Winston. That is why Winston warranties start around 43,500.
RCF,
Thanks
Good read and I appreciate you posting that information.
SF

Rock Creek Fan

Truly Winston's blanks and Loomis blanks were so similar, not only in exact same specs, but in quality, lay-up, visually, they are virtually almost impossible to tell apart. This was obviously done by design and planned to be that way.
I have had both Loomis and Winston IM6 rods in 9 foot 5 and 6 weight (all rolled by Loomis) at the same time and they do feel different. Personally I liked the Loomis brand better due to the feel they have when casting and sold all my Winston's when I downsized my quiver. Loomis are half the price (or more) of Winston when they sell on other auction sites.

Drifter

I was teaching a friend how to cast in the park one winter and his mother-in-law worked at GLOOMIS and had given him a signature series gary loomis 9' 5wt 2pc im6 rod..... I was doing distance casting testing and accuracy testing of all my rods that winter! I had a 4 spot circle I would stand in for change of direction to 4 points around the circle and a 110 ft tape laid out! I still to this day have not cast a better rod then that loomis sig series im6.... it just did everything right.... I wish they rolled rods like that nowadays! And it showed me why Winston had them roll they're blanks for them!!!

Stonefish

I was teaching a friend how to cast in the park one winter and his mother-in-law worked at GLOOMIS and had given him a signature series gary loomis 9' 5wt 2pc im6 rod..... I was doing distance casting testing and accuracy testing of all my rods that winter! I had a 4 spot circle I would stand in for change of direction to 4 points around the circle and a 110 ft tape laid out! I still to this day have not cast a better rod then that loomis sig series im6.... it just did everything right.... I wish they rolled rods like that nowadays! And it showed me why Winston had them roll they're blanks for them!!!
I agree, I like the IM6 rods as well and have a number of them in both fly and gear rods..
I've got two 9' 5 wt 2 pc IM6's.
I just don't do much trout fishing anymore, so I plan to sell one to fund another saltwater rod purchase.
If you know anyone that is interested in one, have them drop me a line.
SF

Drifter

I agree, I like the IM6 rods as well and have a number of them in both fly and gear rods..
I've got two 9' 5 wt 2 pc IM6's.
I just don't do much trout fishing anymore, so I plan to sell one to fund another saltwater rod purchase.
If you know anyone that is interested in one, have them drop me a line.
SF
Are these the WT Winston rods or lookis rods I would think the Winstons would go for more? Also if these are the Loomis 9-5-2 are they signature series rods.... I might be interested either way....shoot me a price with information if you'd like! I collect mostly Orvis superfines but do use loomis and older Scott G'S ... thanks for the heads up!

Stonefish

Are these the WT Winston rods or lookis rods I would think the Winstons would go for more? Also if these are the Loomis 9-5-2 are they signature series rods.... I might be interested either way....shoot me a price with information if you'd like! I collect mostly Orvis superfines but do use loomis and older Scott G'S ... thanks for the heads up!
Loomis Signature IM6
I can’t think of a factory rod produced today with a solid wood reel seat.
Classic stuff....
SF

7C1CC41E-EC27-4888-BB47-CB2333DC7078.jpeg
0D190D06-80B9-401A-A166-752B205D94B3.jpeg

Drifter

OH MAN great stuff! You like to shoot me a price in private if you'd like! I might be getting something you might like also soon! I will P.M. YOU....

Drifter

OH MAN great stuff! You like to shoot me a price in private if you'd like! I might be getting something you might like also soon! I will P.M. YOU....
I have had both Loomis and Winston IM6 rods in 9 foot 5 and 6 weight (all rolled by Loomis) at the same time and they do feel different. Personally I liked the Loomis brand better due to the feel they have when casting and sold all my Winston's when I downsized my quiver. Loomis are half the price (or more) of Winston when they sell on other auction sites.
Do you have any 6 weight loomis im6's thanks.....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts