Late March In Montana

jasmillo

You're correct. The only thing I had a rub with was naming a relatively unknown river. Madison, Bighorn, Missouri, Gallatin, Yellowstone, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Blackfoot, Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Rock Creek. All of these waters are famous for a reason, but I would also even take a little exception to pointing out underutilized stretches of the famous water. I"m not saying people shouldn't offer suggestions to smaller, lesser known rivers, because I realize people that don't live here don't have time to find and explore the lesser known rivers, I just think info like that should be limited to a pm.
Fair enough. I can see where folks would have concerns with the last river listed called out. To me, that river is just one of hundreds of small rivers like that all over MT that produce fish - no more a hidden gem than most others. Unless things have changed over the last 10 years.

Overall, I agree with your sentiment though. I am not a big fan of real detailed info shared on the open forum either. I myself try to keep that to PM’s as well - if shared at all.

Somewhere other than Montana.

Seriously though, I don't know how many springs you've spent on the Bitterroot lately but the last few years Starting around the first of March you can't find a spot at any put in or take out, and the majority of trucks and trailers have Washington plates. I hear the Hoh, Bogie, Calawah and Sol Duc fish well in March lol.
I have spent four of the last five springs in late March on the Bitterroot and have not experienced that type of traffic. I usually float near Darby and Hamilton and have found a lot of peaceful time on the root in March.

Last edited:
I have spent four of the last five springs in late March on the Bitterroot and have not experienced that type of traffic. I usually float near Darby and Hamilton and have found a lot of peaceful time on the root in March.
There are certainly quieter sections of rivers, like that stretch of the Bitterroot, for sure. The Darby-Hamilton stretch is sandwiched between the triple creek guides gang-raping the west fork and the plethora of guides and out of staters from Hamilton to Stevi. There's also a reason that stretch is relatively quiet, there's more fish (relative to size of water) above there and much bigger fish below there. With that being said if I do happen to fish the Bitterroot in March it's usually the stretch you're referring to!

Latest posts