Trip Report Lake Como, Italy

I was there in June 2010. I asked the guys casting spoons off a pier what they were fishing for and got blank stares :p.
Sorry, not much help I know.

Beautiful place with lots of beautiful people to match! If you’ll be renting a car, drive fast like the locals (think Bond movies) or die. The dark, one-way tunnels will hone your skills.

You’ll be eating and drinking well while there. I’m envious - enjoy your trip!
Ciao!

Dave Boyle

Looking for fishing intel.

Going in May/June. Staying on the lake 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Arghhhh!! you got me all excited. One of my brothers is about to retire there and I'll be visiting him next yr...As I understand it from him, there's some rivers with potentially brown trout fishing but as to pressure, local licenses, etc I have no idea. I'll be there end of June, if all goes to plan.

Dave

I was there May of 2017 and remember seeing carp in the shallows. Beautiful place, make sure to visit the "farmers market" for the best cheese and meat.

Looking for fishing intel.

Going in May/June. Staying on the lake 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Beautiful place. I was there for about a week at the end of October. Didn't do any fishing as I didn't bring any gear. All the research I found was for pike and walleye. Although there are Browns and Bows. What I really wanted to do was flyfish for carp. They were everywhere. Most within easy casting range.
I stayed in Bellagio and visited Varenna and Mennagio.

Attachments

Beautiful place. I was there for about a week at the end of October. Didn't do any fishing as I didn't bring any gear. All the research I found was for pike and walleye. Although there are Browns and Bows. What I really wanted to do was flyfish for carp. They were everywhere. Most within easy casting range.
I stayed in Bellagio and visited Varenna and Mennagio.
Oops fat fingered a pic from Okanogan deer hunt.

cingras53

Pursuer of trout, stripers, grouse and turkey
When i was in Bellagio i was staring down into the water and saw some decent fish cruising and looking up. They did not look like trout but possibly bass. I think they are good fly targets. On the boat trip to Bellagio I saw a couple of boat fishermen using spin gear.

OK, here's more info, I finally got off my lazy ass and called a friend who's fished there. He says that recently, there's been a problem with a drastic drop in the available fish forage, reasons unknown, leading to a corresponding drop in the quality of fishing, or better, catching, at the lake itself.

Species-wise, you'll get carp, Crucian carp, perch, barbel, burbot, zander, chub, rudd, tench, trout, whitefish, etc., in short, your typical European lake inhabitants.

There's also a rare shad (Alosa agone).

My friend doesn't fly-fish, he's a spin-fisherman, but he said other people do at the lake, although it's mostly streamer stuff.

One important note: fishing during the day is very unproductive, most people go just before sunset and fish into the night, when the action apparently starts.

You might have already seen this, lots of info here:

- http://www.lakecomofishing.com/

You will need a fishing license, although for foreigners it's actually quite easy. You can get a short-term foreigner's license at the post-office, or have your guide do it for you if you're going in that direction.

I hope the above helps.

Buon divertimento,
Kenneth

Limnos

I fished around Lake Guarda last summer. Tons of brown trout. Marble trout are hard to catch that time of year when you’ll be there. There are some high alpin trout too, but I didn’t get after them. PM me if you’d like more details.

Attachments

Latest posts