NFR Sun Valley, Idaho this Weekend

Does anyone have any advice on the Sun Valley, Idaho area, mainly The Big Wood River or Big Lost River? I am heading over for a Bachelor Party this weekend and have some free time Friday to check it out.

Won't have a car, but staying in town, so options are a bit limited for transportation. Have all my own gear, etc.

I did check out the two guide shops, but $350 for a half day + tip + $15 License, doesn't feel worth it, unless you can change my mind.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
Does anyone have any advice on the Sun Valley, Idaho area, mainly The Big Wood River or Big Lost River? I am heading over for a Bachelor Party this weekend and have some free time Friday to check it out.

Won't have a car, but staying in town, so options are a bit limited for transportation. Have all my own gear, etc.

I did check out the two guide shops, but $350 for a half day + tip + $15 License, doesn't feel worth it, unless you can change my mind.

Thanks in advance for any help!
There are more qualified people to answer your question but i can say this: We stayed with a friend a few days in the summer 2000 in Ketchum and fished the Big Wood River. The biggest rainbow my husband ever caught was in the Big Wood River and the access seemed close to Ketchum where we were staying with a friend. (I caught nothing, but i was with my friend who said she wanted to learn to fly fish and she was of course, frustrated and kind of a total bitch that day so i got her off the river and left my husband in peace.)

You can take the bus to river run lodge and fish the run below the foot bridge. Should be able to see fish from the bridge, good people watching and ez access to cocktails. Talk to the guys at Silver Creek or Lost River about some other bus stop access.

You can access the river from multiple spots in town, just do a little exploring on google maps. Obviously the best stretches are not necessarily in town but there should be plenty to keep you entertained for a day.

One good spot to start is to take the bus towards Warm Springs base area and get off at the YMCA/Skate Park, there is a park across the street with access to a nice run and some pools above the bridge behind the skate park. Or, you can walk up or down river from the River Run base area as J Moore suggests.

There is also a bus that runs up and down the valley, you might consider heading to Hailey where the airport is and hitting the river there (or starting there if you fly in). Again, lots of access points; there are a few parks that give you access, as well as the Draper preserve area walking south from the Bullion/Croy bridge.

I can PM you with some more specifics if you will fish in Hailey, not as familiar with the Ketchum stretches.

Good luck! Please check out my brother-in-law's brewery Sawtooth Brewing for some good beers.

Young Engh

If you don’t have a car you probably won’t be able to hit the big lost river. Focus on the big wood or if possible find a ride down to silver creek. Any of the outfitters in town should point you in the right direction. I’d say the big wood between a bit north of Ketchum to south of Hailey would be your best bet. That way you can get dropped off and picked up without being too much of a hassle to your friends. There is public transportation too.

ryfly

Addicted to flyfishing
Warm Springs Creek is also a viable option and is easily waded. Check with Lost River Outfitters in town. If you can swing a ride to the Big Lost it will be well worth it. The HWY 75 bridge down by the Hospital also gives lots of options. Nymphs like zebra midges will always produce will be your best bet but the dry midge fishing,(Griffiths Gnats) between noon and two can be awesome as well. Don't ignore the Baetis Hatch as well.

Tight lines.

Steve_S

You can take the bus to river run lodge and fish the run below the foot bridge. Should be able to see fish from the bridge, good people watching and ez access to cocktails. Talk to the guys at Silver Creek or Lost River about some other bus stop access.
This is simplest and easiest access to the Big Wood in town with no vehicle.

I lived there for four years, and seldom fished during the winter. The snow is deep and the weather is often frigid, even on sunny days. However, 30 or 40 miles south down the Big Wood River valley, the snowpack is usually less. The Hagerman Canal is usually fishable, and has trout.

Used to walk from my long torn down condo to River Run way before it was improved, and fish up from there maybe a third of a mile. Hardly ever saw anyone and fish we willing on small midges. Same thing south of town with access at the bridges or the numerous public points). Small ptails, crane fly larvae, disco midges, under Palsa punch on small indicators. Only made it to the Big Lost in Mackey once. Good nymphing but access seemed limited, Drive was long, considering similar fishing in walking distance in Hailey and Ketchum.

Latest posts