Upper columbia river

Hello i am seeking info on the upper columbia by the border, is there access for pontoon boats and can the bays or tributaries be safely fished from one? Also can you camp on blm or forest service land there. Ten foot boat with platform, any info appreciated!! Ty

You're probably a good well meaning dude - like most people
Get a feel for the tenor of this discussion board by reading and searching and offering up some insight of your own. Either about your likes, tying techniques, your fav spot, a report, or just some general info so members can get to see what you're about. I have found this place to be very informative, fun, and somewhat frustrating at times but I - as most others - have found this through patience, reading, and input. Asking for stuff in the first inning is considered bad form - as @KD will soon find out. Welcome and good luck

Matt Paluch

Hello i am seeking info on the upper columbia by the border, is there access for pontoon boats and can the bays or tributaries be safely fished from one? Also can you camp on blm or forest service land there. Ten foot boat with platform, any info appreciated!! Ty
I'd recommend hiring one of The Evening Hatch's guides to show you around up there before taking the advice of anyone on the internet. That water is absolutely massive, which creates a lot of hazards that aren't easily recognized by those who haven't floated it before. For what it's worth, I've been a guide for 20 years and I wouldn't float that water in a 10 foot boat under oar power if someone offered me bags full of cash.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I would think that as cold as it has been over on the dry side that the river up there would have a good covering of ice on it. If you looking for answers on camping over there you have to take in that the one Indian res is over there. And borders the river up there. You don't want to rile the indians up there.

I'd recommend hiring one of The Evening Hatch's guides to show you around up there before taking the advice of anyone on the internet. That water is absolutely massive, which creates a lot of hazards that aren't easily recognized by those who haven't floated it before. For what it's worth, I've been a guide for 20 years and I wouldn't float that water in a 10 foot boat under oar power if someone offered me bags full of cash.
Word - I have also heard that the E. Hatch has been fishing up there for a bit. The article I referred to also speaks to the hazards one could encounter.
Be safe potato-head

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I lived in the area for five years.

There is Forest Service managed land in the area.

However, the area is part of Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area managed by the National Park Service out of Grand Coulee. You probably should look on their web site for current regulations.

Buzzy

@mrpotatohead - @Jamie Wilson kind of gently made some good suggestions as did @Matt Paluch. There is information available to you on this site, use the search function. I've fished the Upper Columbia with The Evening Hatch two times from their boats (big prop powered, maybe jet now, sleds with oars). It's a big river, Grand Coulee was discharging 142,000 cfs earlier today. BIG! The fishing can be GREAT and it can be tough. It can be hard work. Did I mention the river is really big? And unlike, for example, the Missouri River below Holter Dam, the fish population isn't nearly as dense, not nearly as many fish per mile. You can really work hard, the fish aren't everywhere.

If you're fishing from a pontoon boat, you're going to either need to arrange shuttles or stage a bike somewhere. What time of year are you planning to do this? Are you budget constrained?

Other than you're from the Potato State and that seems to be your handle, not much information on you. Good luck, man. Welcome to the forum.
Patrick

@mrpotatohead - @Jamie Wilson kind of gently made some good suggestions as did @Matt Paluch. There is information available to you on this site, use the search function. I've fished the Upper Columbia with The Evening Hatch two times from their boats (big prop powered, maybe jet now, sleds with oars). It's a big river, Grand Coulee was discharging 142,000 cfs earlier today. BIG! The fishing can be GREAT and it can be tough. It can be hard work. Did I mention the river is really big? And unlike, for example, the Missouri River below Holter Dam, the fish population isn't nearly as dense, not nearly as many fish per mile. You can really work hard, the fish aren't everywhere.

If you're fishing from a pontoon boat, you're going to either need to arrange shuttles or stage a bike somewhere. What time of year are you planning to do this? Are you budget constrained?

Other than you're from the Potato State and that seems to be your handle, not much information on you. Good luck, man. Welcome to the forum.
Patrick
Hi patrick , i am thinking late june and i mostly throw large streamers. I lived in wa most of my life but never got to the uppur columbia. Jack and i have fished together but not as client and guide. I have fished the T hompson just below the lake, also big water, you just ttake a big river and break it down to the actual fishy water, seams and structer snd current. No i am not finacially but prefer to do it on my own. I tye my own patterns and am a hard core trout guy. Yes i understand the fishing is good and the catching can be the problem. I will fish the rise and always cnr. Ty for your thoughts and the welcome!! Do you know of any shuttles??

Hi matt, ty for your advice, i first heard about the fisherie from Gary urban at the morning hatch, he claimed he fished the inlets and back water from a float tube. Jack is an awesome guy but prefer to do it on my own. Ty 4 ur advice

I would think that as cold as it has been over on the dry side that the river up there would have a good covering of ice on it. If you looking for answers on camping over there you have to take in that the one Indian res is over there. And borders the river up there. You don't want to rile the indians up there.
Aw ty, i am planning a June visit.

Buzzy

Hi patrick , i am thinking late june and i mostly throw large streamers. I lived in wa most of my life but never got to the uppur columbia. Jack and i have fished together but not as client and guide. I have fished the T hompson just below the lake, also big water, you just ttake a big river and break it down to the actual fishy water, seams and structer snd current. No i am not finacially but prefer to do it on my own. I tye my own patterns and am a hard core trout guy. Yes i understand the fishing is good and the catching can be the problem. I will fish the rise and always cnr. Ty for your thoughts and the welcome!! Do you know of any shuttles??
I don't know of any shuttles, I live about three hours from Northport. In June, the river is going to be bigger than it is now however, there will be more "free flowing" river since Lake Roosevelt will be drawn down in anticipation of runoff.

Latest posts