Upper columbia river

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Also check out the FB Group Trout Spey. There are a lot of guys that live across the border that fish the upper Columbia, they might be willing to share some additional info.

I've spent two four day trips with the Evening Hatch at their lodge. Take it as you will. There is no way in hell that I would take a pontoon, float tube or any other single person craft on the river in that area. Maybe you a braver than I am but that is a HUGE river. It flows deceptively fast near the border and for the ten or so miles down. It's dangerous to put it mildly and unless you are super experienced on the oars, I wouldn't even consider it even in a drift boat. And, Gary Urban is a friend of mine. I doubt he would be foolish enough to try that, especially these days. When we are young, we are bullet proof. :eek::eek::eek: The fishing can be super with big rainbows but it ain't worth it to try that.

I've spent two four day trips with the Evening Hatch at their lodge. Take it as you will. There is no way in hell that I would take a pontoon, float tube or any other single person craft on the river in that area. Maybe you a braver than I am but that is a HUGE river. It flows deceptively fast near the border and for the ten or so miles down. It's dangerous to put it mildly and unless you are super experienced on the oars, I wouldn't even consider it even in a drift boat. And, Gary Urban is a friend of mine. I doubt he would be foolish enough to try that, especially these days. When we are young, we are bullet proof. :eek::eek::eek: The fishing can be super with big rainbows but it ain't worth it to try that.
Hey ty for info. How is Gary these days. Hope he is still wetting line. I think he fished side water and channels. Startling to sound scary, do u have any suggestions for area? Tell him hi for me!! Thanks

I'll echo what the others have said, from the boarder down to Northport has some very sketchy water and May through June is typically the highest flows of the year. Shore access is extremely limited. One of the few rivers I have ever stood beside and did not want to wade into, truly massive hydraulics. Having said all of that its a really beautiful part of the state and to see the Columbia free flowing is worth the trip alone! Check out the Soft Hackle Journal website for some good info.

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
I have fished it with Evening Hatch on two trips that were two days each. You couldn't pay me enough money to get me on that river in a pontoon boat. I recommend fishing it one day with a guide to get a feel for the river, then make up your mind about doing DIY trips. The guide may also have shuttle information and information about possible put-ins and take-outs if you choose to pontoon it after that.

I would think that one day with a guide would not do it; at least for me. I've spent 8 full days with guides and wouldn't attempt it. Even though most of the fishing is near shore, the water is so swift that it would be easy to be swept well down stream without the ability to get back. As I recall, and I'm getting older, there aren't many side channels and there are a few eddies, one in particular, that if you miss the re-entry, you're down stream in a heartbeat. Best to contact a guide or go with the experience of the Evening Hatch. It isn't cheap but what is a life worth? I would also recommend Steven Bird's book Upper Columbia Fly Fisher if you want information about the seasons and types of fishing. He lives there and guides for Jack periodically. He fishes out of a raft, however, while Jack uses sleds with big motors. The fish are very big at times and it's worth the trip if you can foot the bill. Food's not bad either.

Latest posts