Question for Ira or others

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
The formula for naked nymphing is 1 and a half X the depth of the water. I.E. 15 ft you'd need 221/2 ft. Of leader. Excellent way to fish if you want to see the scenery.
How do you land a fish if you have a 9 foot fly rod with 15 ft of leader?

I have seen Steve and Lue Taylor using short bamboo rods chirono bobber fishing multiple times on lakes, but never watched to see how they landed the fish with short rods.

That combo are my go to for bobber fishing advice whenever I see them on a lake. Lue is always catching fish, cause his enthusiastic laughter can be heard even when i cannot see them. I love being on the water with them, nice to know someone is catching!

I really enjoy doing the deep full sink vertical presentation. But it doesn’t always work as well as long leader/indicator. Sometimes a little wind chop or covering the water a short distance from the boat makes a difference. Also, @Buzzy mentioned the importance of proper anchoring with the full sink method. In variable conditions (swirling wind, sloping bottom structure, more than 1 personal in the boat) I find an indicator setup more forgiving than trying my best to keep my full sink line fishing just right. But when it’s on, I’ll take the full sink bite any day!

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Speaking specifically about chironomid fishing with an indicator here. This thread appears to over-think the whole thing. 1 foot off the bottom is perfect in most situations. 2-3 feet off the bottom is still in the zone, in my experience.
You can generally tell by where the majority of the fish are hooked, if you need to adjust your depth

jamma

The only thing I'd say about hemostats or this rig (which I also use) is that in muddy bottoms lakes, the idea of there being a distinct change from water to bottom is not always the case. The bottom can be more of a continuum from water to hard bottom, with a lot of slushy, increasingly dense mud in between. My point being that my hemostats or weight can imperceptibly sink into this muddy, slushy strata quite a distance before stopping - maybe even a foot or two. Imagine your hemos sink 18" into the mud before stopping and you set your indicator 1' up... presto, you're resting your fly on the mud. I don't know an easy, fool-proof answer to this problem, beyond using something with a wider horizontal profile to prevent it sinking into the mud.

My not-so-easy, fool-proof answer to this problem is the mega down imaging on my Helix. I recognize this is not a broadly available answer.
Also consider weed beds, if you are over one, you would want your fly to be right at the top of the weeds.That's one of the reasons why I would prefer a depthfinder to the weight method although in anything over 15' deep weeds shouldn't be an issue as sunlight doesn't penetrate far enough to promote excessive weed growth.

XP

Go Hawks
Dive to the bottom of the lake with a tape measure. Make sure that you are exactly 12" from the bottom of the lake. Take measurement. Scan for fish before swimming back to the surface.

Once at the surface, multiply the distance of your tape by .126 to get the amount of line needed to catch fish. It's really pretty easy.

Last edited:

Latest posts