What does it mean to be local?

Do you have to be born and raised in the area?

Is there a number of years you can live there to become a local?

Is it where you live currently?

Do you have to be born and raised in the area?

Is there a number of years you can live there to become a local?

Is it where you live currently?
I think you need to be able to remember when the mariners and hawks came to town. And how cool it was to watch the Miss Budweiser go up against the Miss Pay 'N Save. Also, when there were fish in the rivers.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Great question.
I always wonder myself based on how often I get asked where I’m from and how long I’ve been fishing there when I’m out fishing.
It seems it happens most often while fishing rivers for salmon.
I know my license says it for the state of Washington and it doesn’t say anything about only being able to fish certain waters or being restricted from others.
I think if you are willing to chat people up, you’ll find many of the “locals” aren’t really locals, but do a great job pretending they are.
No doubt, there are some true locals out there.
SF

I was born in Wisconsin. So that made me a local there. I spent the next 65 years in Washington State. That should of made me a local yokel. I'm now here in Montana. Doesn't make me local, just a resident..

As for Ted Turner. His "Ranch" borders that river for a goes long ways that you can't access it.:mad::mad:
So that makes Ted a local? ;-)

In Ephrata, you aren't a "local" unless you were born here. 33 years in this town, still a resident and that's fine with me. At least I can claim I'm not part of the in-bred local yokels. (Sorry, that sounds awful.)

In Ephrata, you aren't a "local" unless you were born here. 33 years in this town, still a resident and that's fine with me. At least I can claim I'm not part of the in-bred local yokels. (Sorry, that sounds awful.)
I was born and raised in Ephrata. Haven't been back since I graduated high school. Since then I've lived and fished in Florida, all over the greater Seattle area, and now the Portland area.

Where am I a local?

I just wear this hat and it makes everything ok
1547308549745.png

My grandfather was born here, century before last century, and I find great delight when someone describes themselves as 'a local' (usually when they're complaining about the arrival of 'outsiders' ruining the place), and they've actually only been here 40 years or so.

Fact is, as has been mentioned, only the native tribes could legitimately call themselves 'local', and even then they were proceeded by at least one tribe that lived here in the Spokane region, and disappeared before their arrival.

I find it more useful to sort people into two distinct categories; decent folk and assholes.

Latest posts