Swinging nymphs for white fish?

With nearly everything closed near the Tri-cities and having the urge to try out a new rod, can anyone share with me any experiences that you have had trying to swing white-fish flies on a light spey rod this time of the year? I am considering going up to the Vernita area and give it a try. I just want to get out, but it might be wiser to get some yard chores done now so when fishing opens up later, if it does, I won’t have so many chores to do first. Any thoughts?

Vernita Area? Columbia River? What about the Yakima? Just asking.

In years past I fished local rivers this time of year for whitefish with this assortment of whitefish flies:
DSCF0041.JPG
I found that swinging for whitefish didn't work well for me. Bobber (indicator) fishing was much more effective but timing seemed to be important. I don't have that much experience but it seemed once the fish schooled in pools (spawing mode probably?) I had better luck.

good luck!
Patrick

Is it more important to try your Spey rod or to catch fish? If you just want to practice two-hand casting, Vernita would be fine...no obstructions to worry about. If you want to catch fish, you are better off taking a single hand 5 weight, nymphs, split shot and some indicators.

If you want the best chance at catching fish using your light Spey rod, you are better off going to one of the many streams open in winter for whitefishing (size 14 hook) and nymphing rather than swinging. But nobody nymphs with a Spey rod do they?

In years past I fished local rivers this time of year for whitefish with this assortment of whitefish flies:
View attachment 189220
I found that swinging for whitefish didn't work well for me. Bobber (indicator) fishing was much more effective but timing seemed to be important. I don't have that much experience but it seemed once the fish schooled in pools (spawing mode probably?) I had better luck.

good luck!
Patrick

View attachment 189220

good luck!
Patrick
Nothing wrong with the Yakima, but it is closed locally and Vernita is closer than Reds.

A good whitie fly pattern...

scud hook 10 or 12
yellow tying thread make a sizable thread bump, center of shank/forward, 3/16" maybe in size
place heavy dollop of thick uv cure resin on thread bump
rotate vise round and round
when you get a fairly round glob set with uv light
place dollop of thin uv resin and repeat the previous couple of steps
finish with sally Hansen's clear nail polish and let dry

finish fly by taking the whitish colored under of fur of fox or finn raccoon and make a sparse egg veiling just in front of "egg" that you previously created. I tie in veiling material facing toward eye, 3-4 wraps, then fold veiling material over/around egg another 3-4 wraps and whip finish. I use white thread for the veiling part. note: the originals I tied utilized temple dog (natural) underfur.

Try other colors...orange is also productive.

fish with heavy anchor fly/dropper set up under an indicator.

side note: look at the butt end of egg and see the "color magnification".

Last edited:
With nearly everything closed near the Tri-cities and having the urge to try out a new rod, can anyone share with me any experiences that you have had trying to swing white-fish flies on a light spey rod this time of the year? I am considering going up to the Vernita area and give it a try. I just want to get out, but it might be wiser to get some yard chores done now so when fishing opens up later, if it does, I won’t have so many chores to do first. Any thoughts?
Swinging flies at Vernita? Could be some bycatch. Wink wink, nod nod.

Is it more important to try your Spey rod or to catch fish? If you just want to practice two-hand casting, Vernita would be fine...no obstructions to worry about. If you want to catch fish, you are better off taking a single hand 5 weight, nymphs, split shot and some indicators.

If you want the best chance at catching fish using your light Spey rod, you are better off going to one of the many streams open in winter for whitefishing (size 14 hook) and nymphing rather than swinging. But nobody nymphs with a Spey rod do they?
I agree on all accounts. My desire was more to play with a new rod and just get out. I am having a bad case of cabin fever.
Swinging flies at Vernita? Could be some bycatch. Wink wink, nod nod.
shhhhh....I would never....

I find that a small bead with a size 10-12 hook (1-1.5 finger widths below the bead), pheasant tail, and a prince, are unbeatable for whitefish in sz 12ish. A white bead works well.

I bobber them to limit, and brine and smoke those delicious little things.[/QUOTE
^^^^^ YES!
One summer my friend who ran a fly shop had a customer come in complaining about all the whities they'd caught. My friend asked " Why didn't you take off your Prince Nymphs?"
Stunned, the guy asked how he knew what they had been fishing.
"You already told me." was Pauly's reply.

An Enchanted Prince (look it up) is somehow even better than an regular Prince for white fish. I use a copper bead and fish size-8s to select for the larger ones. Pretty sure I never caught a trout on that pattern.

Latest posts