NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Skip Enge

I wanted to place this in the Misc...section category at the end of this page...but could not under it's own category...It makes a lot more sense for it to be there than here...

I see folks getting all excited about GMO aka CRISPR genetics...aka a spicy tomato. Hybrid seeds of cole crops out number heirlooms out there by a factor of 10 to 1...We are losing them.Once gone they are gone.

The future of the world's food supply rests in non-hybrid seeds. The push toward hybridization and GM foods is becoming irreversible. Hybrid food sources are patented and "owned" by the patent-holders.

Save seed don't feed the beast. Even my old open pollinated sources of 30 plus years ago are adding a lot of hybrids to their catalogs and the heirloom offerings are shrinking. it's up to us...the movement of seed self sufficiency.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

So the other day I took some scrap corre mini greenhouse.jpg gated poly and plex...cut them into a friction fit little "greenhouse" array over some Asian leaf veg seed i planted...quick turnaround to micro greens...about 20 days I am guessing...a little WTH experiment...projected temps well above freezing for the next few weeks...taking advantage of the sun and mild temps...just for salads...

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Thanks for the wake-up call, Skip. I'd better start planning my veggie container-garden layout for this year. Its still not too late. I was contemplating using a turquoise ceramic toilet..., an old aluminum canoe...some large pots, and a whipping up a custom raised bed. I just need to drag it all over to the sunny spot out of the wind, and fill them with my dirt/compost mix. I might set up a row of sugar snap peas, too. It won't be overly ambitious.
I've ordered from Nichol's Garden Nursery in years past, and most of their stuff always grows well out here.
I liked those Chinese mustard greens that I ordered from them. Harvest when young and tender. I might grow these in a shallow bed that i plan to build on top of a bench or table raised waist-high.

There will be some chicken wire employed to deter the cats, wildlife and crows.

Skip Enge

I have about 30 biennial purple sprouting brocolli plants doing well...boiught ther orig. seed from territorial in the 80's...and have about 30 fava bean plants ...growing slow of course...about 5 or 6" tall... and I sort of planted some garlic and alliums late but they are doing fine...probably abouit 90 -100 garlic plants...I just poke them everywhere and let them do their thing untill the following July

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Its still not too late to plant garlic. They may not develop large bulbs like the stuff planted in the Fall. Shrinking photoperiod makes it all flower at about the same time, but I still get a harvest, even if planted in Feb. I pinch the stalks beneath the flower tops and bend them over so they hang down after they form, but well before they mature and open. (I've even just cut them off and eaten them! mmmmm garlic tops!) This diverts more energy and growth to the bulbs.

Skip Enge

I ordered some small Bolivian Red Oca...which I will get in a couple months. We firsr tried them in a seed swap a few years ago...ate some...let it go and the deer ate the whole plant tubers and all...Aaaargh! This time they will be protected by a welded wire dome I will fashion like a big lid...picture a Weber grill lid...they are an oxalis and a yummy shaved thin on salads... Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.17.53 PM.png

Latest posts