NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Well, you know "there are only TWO things in life that money can't buy.......true love and homegrown tomatoes."

I gave up growing everything else. It is cheaper to buy it in the stores.

But I try to extend the season on homegrown tomatoes as much as possible. Next year I am going back to the heating cables in the raised beds. I did use lamps last fall and picked my last batch on December 1st that ripened in the house.

From mid-December through mid-June is a long time to go without.

Meeshka

Just looking to plant my garden up north this weekend. You guys are lucky - I won't be able to put in my tenders - tomatoe, zuccini, peppers, cukes, corn, till at least June first. Trying brussell sprouts this year for the first time so we will see how it goes.
Thinking about taking out my raised beds this fall and building a greenhouse to get that early start cause baby its cold up here.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I do a lot of canning...I generally grow from 30 to 40 tomato plants rotating varieties annually to keep seed saved viable. I save heirlloom seed from countries around the world. One of which called Great red I got seed from a friends moms dacha near Vladivostok...I love it. I have a couple of open polinated crosses that I save as well...The way I can tomatoes is to use mixed varieties cut in wedges, save seed and label and roast for an hour and a half in a 350 oven on trays...I drizzle with olive oil sea salt and fresh pepper...then I pack in jars and pressure cook 15 lbs pressure for 15 minutes...when we crack a jar open in winter I generally will pour into an old crank strainer to remove remaining seeds and skins...The flavor is amazing, whether in tomato soup with a lot of basil or a marinara...

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Just looking to plant my garden up north this weekend. You guys are lucky - I won't be able to put in my tenders - tomatoe, zuccini, peppers, cukes, corn, till at least June first. Trying brussell sprouts this year for the first time so we will see how it goes.
Thinking about taking out my raised beds this fall and building a greenhouse to get that early start cause baby its cold up here.
I never put mine in until the beginning of June. and i live in zone 8b...I mean I have in 40 years of this seen a weather trend change...it has never been to my mind advantageous to set out too early...soil temps need to be consistantly 50 to 55 degrees...peppers 60...same with beans here.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
https://weather.wsu.edu/?p=89750
Weekly soil temps in various locations.

I see near me it been 55-57, while mine has run about 2 degrees higher, likely due to good exposure and black soils yet to hit 60 for a solid week, so many things don't get planted till it does.
We do a lot of container gardening, big black nursery pots heat up quick, works for us.
My beds are fully planted with early stuff, and will rotate the beds as available, one bed in June, and one in July, another in August.
Containers are easy, as long as they are big enough for the chosen crop, typically 15 gallon is the smallest I use, 30 gallon the biggest.
Everything is on drip, but I still spot water after work if it's hot for weeks at a time.
Self seeders always get the container treatment, don't care for volunteers I wind up removing....
So far so good......except for the rabbit.
He died of high speed lead poisoning yesterday late afternoon.
RIP.....
Little bastard ate 10 of my larkspurs, he should have had better sense.
:)

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
https://weather.wsu.edu/?p=89750
Weekly soil temps in various locations.

I see near me it been 55-57, while mine has run about 2 degrees higher, likely due to good exposure and black soils yet to hit 60 for a solid week, so many things don't get planted till it does.
We do a lot of container gardening, big black nursery pots heat up quick, works for us.
My beds are fully planted with early stuff, and will rotate the beds as available, one bed in June, and one in July, another in August.
Containers are easy, as long as they are big enough for the chosen crop, typically 15 gallon is the smallest I use, 30 gallon the biggest.
Everything is on drip, but I still spot water after work if it's hot for weeks at a time.
Self seeders always get the container treatment, don't care for volunteers I wind up removing....
So far so good......except for the rabbit.
He died of high speed lead poisoning yesterday late afternoon.
RIP.....
Little bastard ate 10 of my larkspurs, he should have had better sense.

Good link....even if it is from Farm State U.
You live in a cold dirt neighborhood.
No wonder your lawn never gets damaged when I park on it. ;)
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I think your fishing rig just drips some biological stew where you park, lawn is longer there....
That rig is a rolling ecosystem of its own...

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Never grown asparagus, but like it.
Neighbors grow it, so get a bit from them.

Gotta hog who is going to have his first bad day on Saturday, when he goes for a ride to the butcher......looking forward to his return, cut and wrapped.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
My Pac Choi is up, and my peas and bush beans are looking good. Carrots were planted a week ago, so I expect to see them pop up in another week. Tomorrow, some lettuce and chives get planted.
This cool weather has delayed my direct seedings of summer squash and pole beans, although I've had their spots prepared for over a week. The weather is about to improve out here along the ocean beaches. This Sunday morning, the squash seeds go in the ground!
I am going to prepare a large bed for leeks and beets, Brussels sprouts, and ruby ball cabbage, and other "forbidden fruits!"

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Rainy and cool out here today, probably not planting any peppers, tomatoes, or veggies this weekend.

I am planting perennials, annuals and feeding everything in the seed house, including my acidanthera bulbs I put in pots early April.
Kinda nice to not be planting for a change, but I did weedeat all the perimeter and around the pond.

Is it 5 o'clock yet ?

Latest posts