NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I didn't get much done this weekend
Planted 37 plants, mostly 4" annuals, and watered and fed everything, mowed the lawn and weedeated the perimeter.

We have 37 tomatoes, 34 peppers and a handful of climbers and oddities in the seed house right now that will have to be planted very soon.

I just got lazy today and said screw it, I ain't doing it.

First day off from gardening in over 2 months......

I noticed it's after 5 o'clock.....
:)

Smalma

Planted the pole beans today so the garden is now officially all in. The corn I planted last weekend is now up, the broccoli is just starting forming heads, The beets and carrots are 9/10 inches tall, been eating lettuce for 10 days or so and bok choy for nearly a month; plan on replacing the bok choy with bush beans in mid-June. The peas (both regular and pods) are now blooming with the taller vines about head high. The green onions are looking good with the Walla Wallas knee high. The squash plants (regular and yellow zucchini, butter nut, blue Hubbard, and pumpkins) were set out 2 weeks ago. Preppers, tomatoes (9 plants/7 varieties) and egg planst are all transplanted and growing. Have harvested rhubarb 3 times making upside cake, sauce and rhubarb/raspberry pie

Have great looking strawberries with lots of berries set and been eating a few daily this week. The early blueberry bushes are loaded however the later varieties set is sub-par. Should have a decent raspberry crop. Even though my Mason bees are doing well (5 blocks full) both the pear and apple tree have poor crops; crappy weather when blooming.

The weather has been good allowing me to stay on top of the weeds but have had to water several times all ready; caqn't remember having to water this early in Western Washington.

Curt

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I didn't get much done this weekend
Planted 37 plants, mostly 4" annuals, and watered and fed everything, mowed the lawn and weedeated the perimeter.

We have 37 tomatoes, 34 peppers and a handful of climbers and oddities in the seed house right now that will have to be planted very soon.

I just got lazy today and said screw it, I ain't doing it.

First day off from gardening in over 2 months......

I noticed it's after 5 o'clock.....
Ed Hume call and said to quit slacking.....Cisco had no issues with it though as long as it is after 5:00 pm and you are drinking.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Ed Hume can kiss my ass, and Cisco.... I have to listen to clients regurgitate whatever he utters as if it came down from the mountain on a fucking stone tablet, right under the burning bush (dictamnus albus by the way)
Cisco used to do the spray license class, I had to take it each year before the renewal, that was before he got big time.
Still telling the same boring jokes and stories...

Last edited:

Stonefish

What’s your medium in those containers
Miracle Grow veggie soil.
It says it is for in ground use but I’ve used it in pots for several years and I haven’t had any issues using it.
No secret mix that I concocted involving the neighborhood cows or chickens......just a 5 minute drive to Lowes.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
No secret mix that I concocted involving the neighborhood cows or chickens......just a 5 minute drive to Lowes.
SF
My god, think of the carbon footprint....
The only reason you didn't use cows or chickens was 'cuz there wasn't any in your neighborhood.....right ?

Stonefish

My god, think of the carbon footprint....
The only reason you didn't use cows or chickens was 'cuz there wasn't any in your neighborhood.....right ?
Funny you should mention that.
My property used to be on a dairy farm. When I moved in 30+ years ago, one of my neighbors used to own my property but sold it in the 50’s to the homebuilder.
He had a good size property and it was kind of like a mini farm in the city.
He was raising chickens, turkeys, ducks etc.
His garden was damn impressive and he planted all the Sycamore trees that surround our neighborhood.
He retired from the landscape business, got old and sold the place.
Five newer homes site there now.
It was pretty cool to learn the history of the neighborhood since he at one time owned most of the land.

People think I’m full of shit when I tell them about someone raising turkeys in North Seattle. ;)
SF

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I ran out of good garden dirt. I'm going to attempt mending a couple of 10' x 4' patches of dirty sand (not very loamy). I have a bunch of finished compost, but have to screen out some invasive roots. I located other sources of organic amendments. What I really need is to get 5 cubic yards of really good garden soil delivered. Stuff from a broad river valley bottom and with no "forest products" mixed in.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Wilco has a 2 cubic ft bag of worm-gro (worm castings) for 10 bucks...it's magical as a planting mix amendment and their granular organic about 8-4-2...is a good alternative to my old 1 part cottenseed meal-kelp meal 1/2 part and steamed bone meal 1/4 part...I always add compost for soil moisture retention///and I broadcast alfalfa pellets generously...and hoe it in a week or 2 before planting

Jamie Wilson

Big proponent of the worm castings like Skip. They just seem to add some magic to whatever you put them in (I'm talking in your garden/patio pots etc. not your dinner salad)

SilverFly

I haven't gone too far down the amendment/fertilizer hole but have always had good results with well-aged compost and Alaska fish fertilizer. Unfortunately I had to stop using it 2 years ago when we acquired our dog Coco. Fish fertilizer drives her absolutely insane and she'll tear the garden apart trying to find it.

Last edited:

Latest posts