NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Never cared for fish fertilizers all that much, given the stink and associated attracting of dogs, cats, raccoons and other assorted unwanted visitors to the gardens, I went away from them in the early 80's.
I just use a basic organic, after innoculating with a compost tea.
This year I used Dr. Earth Total Advantage, 40 pounds in the flower borders and some in the veggie beds, along with composted steer manure and compost ..... got a lot of garden beds here.
It works just fine, there are no undernourished plants around my place.
Next year I'll probably try something else, always trying new approaches is fun.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Dr Earth products are great...Love the Kelp concentrate and actually have found them at Grocery Outlet aka the Used Food Store...for a fraction of regular pricing which is rather steep
I get it in 25# bags and save a bit per pound that way, still more than other products, but it works well and I like it.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I get it in 25# bags and save a bit per pound that way, still more than other products, but it works well and I like it.
It is easy...I used to buy from Concentrates Inc in Portland OR...140 lbs of ingredients I mixed proportionately...Territorial has a real nice mix too...I used an original formula from the salomon days in the 80's that he advocated at Territorial Seed co...way back then I used it for 25 years then adapted other amendments...My big deal was no manure no stink...because it attracted whom and what you didn't want visiting...like nosey neighbors or various unwanted vermin...Ha! Not a whole lot of difference really...

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
My compost pile was inside a 4' diameter circle of wire fencing, 4' high. I could fill it to the top with clippings and veggie scraps, and it would soon cook down, making room for more. Dogs or cats were never a problem, except for the landmines they left on the lawn. We exported one raccoon, and neighbors dogs harassed the others into leaving. Momma raccoon lost most of her litter running across the highway. Haven't been any around lately.
I added shrimp/crab meal, and sometimes liquid fish fertilizer to my pile periodically for a couple of years. It was mainly lawn clippings & veggie trimmings. Sometimes some kelp from the beach, hacked up. When I scraped off the dry outer layer a couple of weeks ago, it was crawling thick with earthworms and high percentage of worm castings. The worms retreated to the depths of the pile, but the surface has dried to a black crust. I have to go dig out and screen a bunch of that.
I quit feeding the compost pile extra nitrogen after reading in Steve Solomon's book that it just might stimulate the bacteria in the pile to really go crazy, and eat up a lot of the nutrients in the compost. I don't know about that, except that my pile continuously cooked down, and always had room for more additions on top.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I need to go drive out on the beach get some kelp. I often see a pile that has washed in. I absolutely love having kelp flies and the "smell of low tide" in the Subaru driving home. I think there is actually a limit of 10 lbs of kelp per day. That's probably more than will fit into a 5 gal bucket. Need to clean up the rig, anyway.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Next year I carbon up with an immature decomposed coal product...every 5 years I am due...I do plant rather intensively...

Salmo_g

When I mowed my lawn Sunday everything was fine, but on Monday I noticed that a damn deer had gotten in the back yard and had a meal from my apple tree and prune tree. Found a big hole torn in the deer netting fence and spent the rest of the day patching it. That's two deer incidents this spring. I could kill those hoover rodents.

cms829

Hey all! As some of you know my wife and I bought our first house this spring. Well were finally almost ready to move in after many weekends of non stop work. The previous owners seem to of spent a small fortune on plants and flowers, but I have no idea what is what and what needs special care.

If I were to take a few pictures, think you guys could help me identify those that dont still have the tags on them?

I also will be removing an above ground pool and hopefully planting a garden in its spot. Issue I have is the area is very wet as it is a low spot with poor draining clay soil.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yeh those tall rodents love to eat that tender new growth. They nibble off most of the budding growth up to where they cant reach any higher, and above that, I get too many apples and feed most of those to the deer. The crows manage to get a few off the top, too....Iggy and his crew.

I'm going to construct some chicken wire cages to put over my raised beds...'cause I know that everything seems fine and dandy until it gets tasty enough to disappear overnight, with only hoof prints to be found one bummer morning.
The crows haven't figured out my new gardening plan yet. I'm sure they will, but Iggy and his gang are tolerably cool to have hanging around, so I cut them some slack.

When I mowed my lawn Sunday everything was fine, but on Monday I noticed that a damn deer had gotten in the back yard and had a meal from my apple tree and prune tree. Found a big hole torn in the deer netting fence and spent the rest of the day patching it. That's two deer incidents this spring. I could kill those hoover rodents.[/QUOTE

Latest posts