NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Skip, your pics are worth many thousand wurds. I like the "deer proofing";) on your raised beds. So far this year, the deer haven't visited my garden because the guy at the end of my lane has been target practicing with his pistol once in a random while, and since then, the gun-shy hooved rodents have changed their habits.
I really dig that fake owl!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
frequent visitors...Hoping they know the garden store is closed to them...Dad is near a four point...I have barricaded as much as i can so as not to look like a high security compound
Skip, your pics are worth many thousand wurds. I like the "deer proofing";) on your raised beds. So far this year, the deer haven't visited my garden because the guy at the end of my lane has been target practicing with his pistol once in a random while, and since then, the gun-shy hooved rodents have changed their habits.
I really dig that fake owl!
Visitors 2 small.jpgVistors smalljpg.jpg

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Nice looking foodstuffs right there....
:)
We have the entire back yard netted for protection, but 2 coyotes got into the berry patch and were eating raspberries on Friday.
Never had that happen before, I watched them eating raspberries right off the bushes.
One got away...
Gratuitous garden pic....things doing well so far, and now comes watering season.

garden view.jpg

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Beautiful flower gardens,,,I love perrenials
Nice looking foodstuffs right there....
:)
We have the entire back yard netted for protection, but 2 coyotes got into the berry patch and were eating raspberries on Friday.
Never had that happen before, I watched them eating raspberries right off the bushes.
One got away...
Gratuitous garden pic....things doing well so far, and now comes watering season.

View attachment 205819
at my old place of almost 30 years I had hundreds of plants in bloom staged for bloom accross the season...I do miss that ...I used to sell my flowers to a high end florist in Portland...but so much weeding...I never used bark dust or the like...but I loved it...I have some wonderful exotics here at Ellens place but no en masse as before...I never dealt with deer before like this...and you can't barricade everything...so I get free pruning...free and unwanted.

Kilchis

Quill in post 212, 3rd photo, far right, just above the lavender, what is that flower spike? Thanks.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Kilchis
That is Digiplexis ' Berry Canary'.
It's an inter genera cross between foxglove (digitalis) and a Canary Island plant Isoplexis.
Hardy to zone 8 allegedly, but I'm figuring it for an annual.

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Now that Virginia is retired, she spends a lot of time with flowers and vegies. I built the raised bed and mow the lawn but that's about it! (I have that fishing thing to do :D)

back yard web.jpg

back yard web 2.jpg

raised bed web_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kilchis

Kilchis
That is Digiplexis ' Berry Canary'.
It's an inter genera cross between foxglove (digitalis) and a Canary Island plant Isoplexis.
Hardy to zone 8 allegedly, but I'm figuring it for an annual.
Thanks for the info! I have about 15 foxglove spikes that I have left in the ground to mature for seed. I pulled maybe 40 others. If anybody would like some free seed, let me know and I'll send you some.

luv2fly2

My garden is doing better than ever. Have 140 jalapas . 60 bells and bout 60 hot peppers and 10 gold cherry tomatoes and 26 romas and 16 Armenian cucumbers. Mike w

cms829

Got a question for all of you gardeners. I picked up a few trees to replace some dead ones I have to cut down. I couldn't pass it up as they were marked down to $6 to $10 each and are all very healthy.

I got one River Birch, One flowering crabapple (specific species not yet identified), one easterm redbud, and two yoshino cherries. Its terribly hot here right now (been upper 80's and low 90's the last week) with little rain to speak of after an insanely wet and cool spring.

My question is - do I keep them in the containers and keep them watered well until early fall? Or will that do more harm than good? Or do I go ahead and plant them properly and keep the surrounding soil moist?

Latest posts