NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Those look like something I should try. I grew some Yellow Finns the last time I grew potatoes, but I've been eating mainly sweet potatoes lately. I'm having a steamer tray with sweet potatoes and broccoli crowns, and then I have to go buy a bunch more veggies.
There's nothing in my garden right now. My food bill is getting horrendous! Later on, I plan to slice up a sweet potato, throw it in the oven and bake some fries while I'm cooking some chicken and whipping up a salad.

Skip Enge

Those look like something I should try. I grew some Yellow Finns the last time I grew potatoes, but I've been eating mainly sweet potatoes lately. I'm having a steamer tray with sweet potatoes and broccoli crowns, and then I have to go buy a bunch more veggies.
There's nothing in my garden right now. My food bill is getting horrendous! Later on, I plan to slice up a sweet potato, throw it in the oven and bake some fries while I'm cooking some chicken and whipping up a salad.
www.cultivariable.com/

the_grube

On another gardening topic. I have some cherry trees to top tomorrow. The previous owner of this place let them over grow. They produce more fruit than they can really ripen, and most of it is above what I can pick even on a 12 orcharders ladder. I'm guessing these trees are up past 30'

I ordered some small Bolivian Red Oca...which I will get in a couple months. We firsr tried them in a seed swap a few years ago...ate some...let it go and the deer ate the whole plant tubers and all...Aaaargh! This time they will be protected by a welded wire dome I will fashion like a big lid...picture a Weber grill lid...they are an oxalis and a yummy shaved thin on salads... View attachment 189916
Skip, that's great that you are growing Oca.

I was doing fieldwork in the high Andes of southern Peru several years back and was fascinated by the indigenous crops that are still widely grown. I'll attach a few pics. They would grow these 5 crops interspersed in one field: Oca (Oxalis tuberosa), Mashua (Trapaeolum tuberosum), Uyucos (Ullucus tuberosus), Chocho (Lupinus mutabilis), and oats (Avena sativa). They never mixed any of these crops with potatoes (Solanum tuberosum), of which there are many varieties. You may see the trend in the latin names of these species. At 3,000-4,000 meters in the Andes, tubers are the most productive crops. Oca is the plant with yellow flowers. The field of white and purple flowers are potatoes.

I was surprised to see the tufts of what looked like wild oats (Avena sativa, a Eurasian native) interspersed among the other crops. At first I assumed they were weeds, but I was informed that they were planted, not for their seed, but as a green leaf crop to feed to their cui. Cui are a small Andean rodent about the size of a guinea pig that are a delicacy.

Dick Lupinus mutabilis.JPG.jpg Mashua (Trapaeolum tuberosum).JPG.jpg Oyucos - Ullucus tuberosus, Basellaceae.JPG.jpg P1010092.JPG.jpg P1010106.JPG.jpg P1010108.JPG.jpg

I was doing fieldwork in the high Andes of southern Peru several years back and was fascinated by the indigenous crops that are still widely grown. I'll attach a few pics. They would grow these 5 crops interspersed in one field: Oca (Oxalis tuberosa), Mashua (Trapaeolum tuberosum), Uyucos (Ullucus tuberosus), Chocho (Lupinus mutabilis), and oats (Avena sativa). They never mixed any of these crops with potatoes (Solanum tuberosum), of which there are many varieties. You may see the trend in the latin names of these species. At 3,000-4,000 meters in the Andes, tubers are the most productive crops. Oca is the plant with yellow flowers. The field of white and purple flowers are potatoes.

I was surprised to see the tufts of what looked like wild oats (Avena sativa, a Eurasian native) interspersed among the other crops. At first I assumed they were weeds, but I was informed that they were planted, not for their seed, but as a green leaf crop to feed to their cui. Cui are a small Andean rodent about the size of a guinea pig that are a delicacy.

Dick View attachment 191149 View attachment 191150 View attachment 191151 View attachment 191152 View attachment 191153 View attachment 191154
we grew Yacon this year otherwise known as the bolivian sun root I think cause I lost the label ... it was and is a yummy tuber that we have eaten raw after peeling or cooked it ... it produced a stupid amount of yam like tubers and tastes somewhat like jicama.

David Loy

Senior Moment
....Washington is the new Arizona, without trout.
..... and Forks is the new “West”.
Or will be all too soon.

Pretty cool Skip. Kind of like a Clampetts green house. Making me re-visit some old ideas. I grew up working Grandpa’s nursery and miss his (large) greenhouses. Have always wanted something reasonable. Say 10’ by 15’, but hey, a couple cold frames would be easy enough.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Dick View attachment 191149 View attachment 191150 View attachment 191151 View attachment 191152 View attachment 191153 View attachment 191154
That is cool...I may eventually try mashua as well

Latest posts