NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I couldn't plant anything here in Montana if I wanted to. It snowed yesterday afternoon and the temps now are about 25 degrees out. I keep bugging the wife about some tomato plants. But if I buy some, I have to keep them in the house until July. Last two years it got below freezing in June.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I couldn't plant anything here in Montana if I wanted to. It snowed yesterday afternoon and the temps now are about 25 degrees out. I keep bugging the wife about some tomato plants. But if I buy some, I have to keep them in the house until July. Last two years it got below freezing in June.
Your post answers questions. Since my daughter lives in Butte...I sent her the wrong type of tomato seed in a Gardening Care package...

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have a tomato cross, "Candle Flame" F6 this year... interested in how the flavor develops over time...6th year
parentage: Marvel Stripe(Oaxaca, Mex)
and Orange Strawberry(german) CandleFlame F5 2018.jpg big Tomato.jpg OrangeStrawberry2.jpg

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Need some lawn experts advice.

I’ll admit I haven’t been the most attentive to my lawn the past couple years.
I’d rather go fishing then do yard work.
It has a slope and faces south, so it gets cooked in the summer.
No matter how much water I put on it, the slope and top still brown up.
I used to have some morning shade on my lawn. The city notified me they’d trim my three trees to the highest standards due to the power lines.
Little did I know Hannibal Lecter was an arborist.
No more morning shade.
I also have a couple neighbors who are vying for the blue ribbon at the Puyallup Fair for largest dandelions.

So this weed has invaded two areas of my lawn.
It seems to have a small blue flower. Anyone know what it is?

I’m going to thatch as well as fertilize and treat the moss.
Rather then weed & feed, I was thinking of hitting this weed with a spray prior to applying fertilizer.

I know they make products that supposedly kill weeds but not your grass.
Any suggestions on products you like?
Thanks,
SF

646C2869-4E9E-4361-983F-AF3B4866D5ED.jpeg 400A5274-51D9-4466-A2D3-ED63BF6CED85.jpeg 7F68D702-2D2A-4A6C-925E-6BF455321D34.jpeg

Thrasybulus

I practice social distancing
You have a bad case of Ivy-leaved speedwell, Veronica hederifolia. Not a desirable plant. I recommend aggressive thatching followed by intensive pitch fork aeration. Selectively apply Scott's weed & feed in affected areas during a morning dew. Then order 10 cubic yards of lawn soil to aggressively top dress your lawn. Apply a mixture of 12 NW compatible grass seeds (fescues, bluegrass, ryegrass), cover seeding with straw, lime, starter fertilizer and water frequently for 6-8 weeks. No fishing for 6-8 weeks!

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Need some lawn experts advice.

I’ll admit I haven’t been the most attentive to my lawn the past couple years.
I’d rather go fishing then do yard work.
It has a slope and faces south, so it gets cooked in the summer.
No matter how much water I put on it, the slope and top still brown up.
I used to have some morning shade on my lawn. The city notified me they’d trim my three trees to the highest standards due to the power lines.
Little did I know Hannibal Lecter was an arborist.
No more morning shade.
I also have a couple neighbors who are vying for the blue ribbon at the Puyallup Fair for largest dandelions.

So this weed has invaded two areas of my lawn.
It seems to have a small blue flower. Anyone know what it is?

I’m going to thatch as well as fertilize and treat the moss.
Rather then weed & feed, I was thinking of hitting this weed with a spray prior to applying fertilizer.

I know they make products that supposedly kill weeds but not your grass.
Any suggestions on products you like?
Thanks,
SF

View attachment 199860 View attachment 199861 View attachment 199862
fUCK THE LAWN...I played that game for a while...and realized I was not serving me...but something else..

SilverFly

You have a bad case of Ivy-leaved speedwell, Veronica hederifolia. Not a desirable plant. I recommend aggressive thatching followed by intensive pitch fork aeration. Selectively apply Scott's weed & feed in affected areas during a morning dew. Then order 10 cubic yards of lawn soil to aggressively top dress your lawn. Apply a mixture of 12 NW compatible grass seeds (fescues, bluegrass, ryegrass), cover seeding with straw, lime, starter fertilizer and water frequently for 6-8 weeks. No fishing for 6-8 weeks!
We don't have much of that stuff, but I've seen it before and wondered what it was. Bet it brews a fine IPA, along with tansy ragwort, dandelion, nightshade and grass-clippings mixed with dog shit. ;) Good to know we've got a weed authority here that can ID plants like this.

BTW, nice work everyone. My yard/garden game is lagging again this year.

Smalma

Yesterday started various squashes putting them in one of the cold frame to be transplanted in mid-May.

Last week harvested the first of the rhubarb and green onions. The green peas are 12 inches tall and the pea pods 10 inches and on warmer days can almost watch them grow. The beets, broccoli, carrots ,lettuce, bok choy all looking good. The asparagus is a little spotty with some just poking through the ground and others have been up for a couple weeks.

On the warmer days the mason bees have been busy collecting pollen, laying eggs with a number of tubes all ready filled.

Spring is a favorite time for the garden.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts