NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
The Delphiniums are overachievers so far....while the Daphne are just plugging along as usual, just starting their 6 month flowering period.
0422191714a~2.jpg

The Gerainium 'Rozanne' is also doing its thing, probably one of the best of the hardy geraniums.... a large and reliable rebloomer.
0422191717d.jpg

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I love delphiniums...I used to sell a very unusual cross to a big florist in Portland...to make some extra money...I had kids that were going to go in college...I recently found a British variant I used to grow called Black Knight...It's amazing with black bees , not the usual PNW varietals ...with white "bees" Yeah I g

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I love delphiniums...I used to sell a very unusual cross to a big florist in Portland...to make some extra money...I had kids that were going to go in college...I recently found a British variant I used to grow called Black Knight...It's amazing with black bees , not the usual PNW varietals ...with white "bees" Yeah I g
So a few days ago I walk the garden as per usual...and see my precious Black knight was nibbled...effing deer...so I bought some 1/2 " welded wire screen and made a cylinder to put over it to give it time to recover...Deer are an endless pain in the arse here...but they are beautiful...Ahh nature such beauty and challenges... Ha!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Those are second year plants, so pretty happy with their development so far.
They were already 6" tall when the snow hit, but just hunkered down till it melted and went back to growing.
Black Knight is usually available in the trade, not as common as other in the Pacific series, but still available and well adapted up here.
I find the trick to growing them is having a big deep hole filled with lots of organic material, lots of sun, and of course wind protection.....i dug 30" deep holes almost 3" around, and fertilize 2 times a year, once in spring, and again in June after the first flowers.
The perennials are loving the weather right now in my garden....with plants nothing succeeds like excessively awesome cultural conditions..
:)

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I got my tomatoes this morning.
I know it is early, so I’ll bring them in at night.
I did the same thing last year and the neighbors where pretty happy about not having to buy tomatoes throughout the summer.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Typically we don't plant outside till mid May, often later. Our hoop house tomatoes go in June 1st or so.
Over the last 3 year's, tomatoes planted early, whether in hoop house or outside have underperformed or barely equaled those planted early. The cool nights seem to put the plants into a stupor, and takes them a while to recover.
These are all heirlooms, so some of the more modern varieties such as those out of OSU may tolerate cold better.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Typically we don't plant outside till mid May, often later. Our hoop house tomatoes go in June 1st or so.
Over the last 3 year's, tomatoes planted early, whether in hoop house or outside have underperformed or barely equaled those planted early. The cool nights seem to put the plants into a stupor, and takes them a while to recover.
These are all heirlooms, so some of the more modern varieties such as those out of OSU may tolerate cold better.
Not in the ground yet.
Just putting them out during the day and taking them in at night.
Early Girl 50’s have treated me well and mainly use them for salads, burgers, sandwiches etc.
Not much beyond that other then to keep myself and the neighbors in tomatoes
They’ll go in pots and out on the blacktop probably mid next month depending on the long range forecast.

Would be willing to try a few other varieties with larger fruit if you have suggestions for good producers in Western WA.
My green thumb is somewhat limited. ;)
SF

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
I have a covered patio that has a skylight panel, so there is light, but no direct sun. Begonias and geraniums and fuchsias and hostas do pretty well and i tend to stick with what i know.

But last year my fern got so big i had no room to bring it in during the winter and it died, as i knew it would. So now i have a big empty pot and want to find a perennial plant, small bush, etc....that i can put in It that i can leave out during winter.

I’ve looked before and so many of them need full sun. Do y’all suggestions? I’m going to check out Vassey nursery in Puyallup and ask what they have, but i thought y’all might know too, given your impressive skills.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
We grow black ch
Not in the ground yet.
Just putting them out during the day and taking them in at night.
Early Girl 50’s have treated me well and mainly use them for salads, burgers, sandwiches etc.
Not much beyond that other then to keep myself and the neighbors in tomatoes
They’ll go in pots and out on the blacktop probably mid next month depending on the long range forecast.

Would be willing to try a few other varieties with larger fruit if you have suggestions for good producers in Western WA.
My green thumb is somewhat limited. ;)
SF
We grow black cherry, yellow pear, Cherokee purple and black Krim outside...the black Krim is the least productive of those outside, but gives 15 or so great tomatoes each year.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts