NFR 2019 Gardening Thread

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Typically we don't plant outside till mid May, often later. Our hoop house tomatoes go in June 1st or so.
Over the last 3 year's, tomatoes planted early, whether in hoop house or outside have underperformed or barely equaled those planted early. The cool nights seem to put the plants into a stupor, and takes them a while to recover.
These are all heirlooms, so some of the more modern varieties such as those out of OSU may tolerate cold better.
You sound like me...Ha! New Gardeners get so excited ...25 -40 years ago I set out my heirloom starts in mid May that was zone 8a...Now in 8b and for about 18 years-ish I put plants out after hardening off at the end of May or in the first couple weeks of June...There has been a climatic shift...Fall frosrt t dates have exteneded the season.

wetswinger

I like Territorial as well. Uprising Seeds is another good PNW source: https://uprisingorganics.com/
I'm all excited that my ornery carrots and beets both came up this Spring. Carrots especially are a pain. I can only attribute it to the new seed company I've started using, West Coast Seeds from Delta, BC. Totally untreated non- gmo, blah, blah, blah seeds. Love em'. Bought mine at Urban Farmer in Oly.
www.westcoastseeds.com.

wetswinger

We grow black ch
We grow black cherry, yellow pear, Cherokee purple and black Krim outside...the black Krim is the least productive of those outside, but gives 15 or so great tomatoes each year.
The cherry and pear tomatoes are great, reliable, hardy plants for salads. I'll eat a bowl of them at night watching TV. Siletz and Legend are great locally bred (OSU) tomatoes for our climate that resist late season blit for a longer season. Seem to have a little more flavor than Celebtity or Early girl IMO. Enjoy the season!!!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Went to Swanson’s and Sky, no Koralik’s.
They all seemed to know what they were though.
Any suggestions on where to possibly find them in the Seattle area?

Did get the some of others you and wetswinger suggested. No Legends at either place as well.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I never get to Seattle except to buy plants....
I got my Koralik at Chimacum Farmstand, they were grown by Red Dog Farms.

Its close to Teal Lake....sort of.
;)

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Just about done picking biennial broccoli...the favas are "beaning" so the timing is good...Tomatoes will be put out in the ground near the first of June and peppers shortly thereafter...favas and broc will come out before...dry beans about the 1st week of June...oca is up, the pink fin potatoes in my potato box are up...been picking asparagus...will start to harden off greenhouse starts in a week...then it is time to fight the evil encroaching blackberries...the annual war of vegetative carnage

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I have late waves of some Cascadia snap peas and Sugar Sprint bush peas coming up, and some Royal Burgundy bush beans just popping up. Might try to pull off a quick planting of Pak Choi in a smaller planter, and harvest it very young, since its almost too late for sowing it, but I have it a cool spot with late afternoon shade... worth a try.
Late July, I'll plant cauliflower, purple cabbage, and other stuff. I'm supposed to avoid leafy greens or anything with high amounts of vitamin K, so I won't be planting any lettuce, kale, spinach, or Brussel sprouts. Beets are also on the disheartening list of favorite veggies that i am supposed to avoid. I can eat all that stuff occasionally, but if I grow a bunch of it, I'm liable to binge out on mass quantities of healthy, tasty greens.... which have taken on the status of "forbidden fruit," because my cardiologist says I should limit my consumption or avoid them altogether....and I do have a really airtight conspiracy theory concerning this;)

I readied 5 more planters, and I'm direct sowing zukes and yellow straight neck squash, carrots, green onions, and am soon putting in another raised bed. After that, my finished compost pile will be used up.
I'll try some cherry tomatoes in planters. I need to find some elephant garlic for late summer planting. Might have to mail order it. I will also plant some red garlic then.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Delphiniums a long time love...I finally found a pacific Giant "Black Knight" plant...and went to a large garden show ...found a monkshood plant...but was a dummy and thought wheni cycled back buy the seller I would get it them...Poof! it was gone!...I alsio would like to get some Ligularia again...I used to have a huge perennial flower garden ...but had to sell the house...the garden was the main feature...

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Typically we don't plant outside till mid May, often later. Our hoop house tomatoes go in June 1st or so.
Over the last 3 year's, tomatoes planted early, whether in hoop house or outside have underperformed or barely equaled those planted early. The cool nights seem to put the plants into a stupor, and takes them a while to recover.
These are all heirlooms, so some of the more modern varieties such as those out of OSU may tolerate cold better.
That is late.

If I am trying to get early tomatoes I will usually plant somewhere in the first week in March. The hardest part is finding somebody with tomato starts for sale that early. I really need to find a source of tomatoes for sale in the first week in March.

I use a hoop house, though in the past it was square. The trick is getting the soil temperature to 70 degrees.

In Wenatchee, our last frost is early March, but it take forever to get the soil temperature up to 70 degrees. This year finally got there about three weeks ago.

I used a product similar to this when I was really into early tomatoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JSHC48-JumpStart-Heating-Cable/dp/B00P218EFA

Planted my tomatoes on March 1st and first ripe tomato was on April 28th. It is all about soil temperature.

I put my tomatoes on the lawn watering system......so after planting....no weeding or watering. Just go out and pick em.

Latest posts