Do You Hate Robocalls?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
There are so many scammers out there these days, that I also will not answer my phone unless I recognize who's calling. Hey, if its important, a legit caller that i might not recognize should suffer through my greeting, wait for the beep, identify themselves, and leave a message and a callback #.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Not answering works for most calls. The calls I hate seem to be able to go straight to my voicemail without the phone ringing. As odd as it sounds my cellphone, which is also my business phone, is starting to become more of a liability every day.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I'm like the above statements. I don't answer unless I know the person. Joe blow could be calling about some good fishing. But If I didn't know him I wouldn't be missing out on it.

I've strung them along something similar. I asked one to hold for 5-6 mins, then came back and, in the voice of a bewildered senior (which isn't a big stretch for me) told them I'd looked everywhere: the bedrooms, the kitchen, upstairs, downstairs, the den...and well, I don't have a computer....He was also "disappointed".
We seniors like having someone to talk to.

I strung one guy along for like 15 minutes while I was driving in my car. I told him I was at my computer now after a long boot-up and then had an update to wait for...…. He asked me at one point if I was screwing around. I said "huh??" He said, "nothing, let me know when the update is done."

I actually had another call come in that I had to take, but I was wondering how much longer I could strung him along. Oh, Indian accent of course....

Krusty

My best one was the IRS scammer robocall. You get the ridiculously ominous "THIS is the IRS, and you'll be placed under arrest by local law enforcement authorities unless you respond immediately. Please stay on the line to speak to the next available IRS agent".

Since this is a work phone I could care less they find out it's a 'live' phone number, so I wait.

A fellow with a heavy Slavic accent comes on line. He asks who this is, and I respond with "Nope, you tell me who this is first". He starts getting threatening and aggressive...and I just keeping matching his behavior by amping up my demands. This goes on for a good 10 minutes until he finally says "fuck you" and hangs up.

I can see the phone number on my phone, so I call him back about 30 minutes later, and it's the same dipshit....thinking he's got a new fish on the line...and I play along with him this time. He wants $3500 via PayPal, and instructs me how to send it. I agree, then tell him to go fuck himself...which produces a curse and a hangup.

I call back, he picks it up, and he recognizes my voice, says "it's you isn't it" and hangs up.

I call again. He's blocked my calls. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
My best one was the IRS scammer robocall. You get the ridiculously ominous "THIS is the IRS, and you'll be placed under arrest by local law enforcement authorities unless you respond immediately. Please stay on the line to speak to the next available IRS agent".

Since this is a work phone I could care less they find out it's a 'live' phone number, so I wait.

A fellow with a heavy Slavic accent comes on line. He asks who this is, and I respond with "Nope, you tell me who this is first". He starts getting threatening and aggressive...and I just keeping matching his behavior by amping up my demands. This goes on for a good 10 minutes until he finally says "fuck you" and hangs up.

I can see the phone number on my phone, so I call him back about 30 minutes later, and it's the same dipshit....thinking he's got a new fish on the line...and I play along with him this time. He wants $3500 via PayPal, and instructs me how to send it. I agree, then tell him to go fuck himself...which produces a curse and a hangup.

I call back, he picks it up, and he recognizes my voice, says "it's you isn't it" and hangs up.

I call again. He's blocked my calls. Mission accomplished.
I got the irs call once. I explained to them I was an investigator for the treasury department and needed to setup an in person meeting to discuss the matter. They hung up. I guess the irs doesn’t work with the treasury department.

Peyton00

I never get robo calls.
If u are not listed in my phone. I don't answer.
I recently have a missed call from an unknown #. I was thinking it might be work related. I call back and the old lady was sooo confused, she thinks i am trying to mess with her. I explained i was being courteous and returned the missed call. She got all pissy, I said good luck with your dementia and Alzheimer's and hung up.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
If u are not listed in my phone. I don't answer.
Unfortunately, this is what I have to do with my business phone. Not a good first impression when a new customer calls and gets sent to voicemail.

However, I do have a plan of attack - hopefully to make the companies pay. :)

Krusty

Unfortunately, this is what I have to do with my business phone. Not a good first impression when a new customer calls and gets sent to voicemail.

However, I do have a plan of attack - hopefully to make the companies pay. :)
Same here...personal phone doesn't ger answered unless I recognize the caller...but with my work phones that's most often not possible...and that's where I end up with robocalls.

Last edited:

Latest posts