NFR BasketBall

Was an earlier, big Sonics fan when I played basketball in jr high and hs...with DJ, JJ, Sikma, Freddie Brown..a tad before with Slick Watts and Haywood. Saw Bill Walton and Gail Goodrich at the Seattle Center, before watching Magic and Kareem in the Kingdome years. Dr J in person was amazing as well.
Payton and Kemp were fun. My interest has waned, however.

I do watch the GS Warriors when on, just the shooting from Curry and Thompson is nuts! Lebron really turned me off in basketball. He is a whiner. Kobe was a downer, too. Arrogance turns me off many athletes.

The whole NBA is soft. Guys take a light hit, or dive-then writhing in "pain"..acting like they have suffered a career ending injury!?!?! Seconds later, they get up and "posterize" some dude on the other end.
Wooh hooo, 2 points. Yawn.

Like I just put on another forum, Hockey players take a puck to the face and are back on the ice before the period is overwith. Basketball players have become 6 year-olds looking for mommy to come kiss their boo-boos. Lebron is just a super baby, hate watching him play. He cries after any shot-make or miss, that he was fouled. Come on. I do appreciate his work off court, seems sincere.

Jordan was 100x more fun to watch play than Lebron or Harden. Kobe was a cheap, Jordan knock-off.

Now I will say, hockey has it's babies, too.
Sidney Crosby is such a total crybaby.

There, I feel better : )

Last edited:
I love basketball, and follow the NBA closely. I used to follow NCAA hoops just as closely, but the college game has become increasingly rock fighty over the years due to poor officiating. NBA ball is so much more fluid, less marred by the excessive grabbing and hand checking permitted by NCAA refs. Pretty much everyone can hit an open jumper, they all can pass. Not so much in college. The NCAA Tournament is still the most exciting postseason in sports, but man, it is terrible basketball.

Last edited:

jamma

Basketball is my favorite sport, but CBK sucks, big time, especially since the one and done era, remember when it used to matter ( Lew Alcindor vs. Elvin Hayes in the Astrodome)?
The NBA is a freaking joke these days, stands for Nothing But Ass-kissing if you ask me.Where else do the same two teams make the finals four years in a row?Sad, because I do believe they are the best athletes in the world.

P.S.I do lose respect for anyone who doesn't acknowledge that Wilt Chamberlain is the GOAT.No one has ever dominated a sport the way he did.

jamma

Was an earlier, big Sonics fan when I played basketball in jr high and hs...with DJ, JJ, Sikma, Freddie Brown..a tad before with Slick Watts and Haywood. Saw Bill Walton and Gail Goodrich at the Seattle Center, before watching Magic and Kareem in the Kingdome years. Dr J in person was amazing as well.
Payton and Kemp were fun. My interest has waned, however.

I do watch the GS Warriors when on, just the shooting from Curry and Thompson is nuts! Lebron really turned me off in basketball. He is a whiner. Kobe was a downer, too. Arrogance turns me off many athletes.

The whole NBA is soft. Guys take a light hit, or dive-then writhing in "pain"..acting like they have suffered a career ending injury!?!?! Seconds later, they get up and "posterize" some dude on the other end.
Wooh hooo, 2 points. Yawn.

Like I just put on another forum, Hockey players take a puck to the face and are back on the ice before the period is overwith. Basketball players have become 6 year-olds looking for mommy to come kiss their boo-boos. Lebron is just a super baby, hate watching him play. He cries after any shot-make or miss, that he was fouled. Come on. I do appreciate his work off court, seems sincere.

Jordan was 100x more fun to watch play than Lebron or Harden. Kobe was a cheap, Jordan knock-off.

Now I will say, hockey has it's babies, too.
Sidney Crosby is such a total crybaby.

There, I feel better : )
Agree 100 %, although I think soccer players take the all-time "divers" award although, to my knowledge, basketball is the only sport that made a penalty out of it.I'm down with the hockey players, it's an exciting sport if you take the time to embrace it, the action never stops.Go, Bruins!

Richard E

Love basketball, but like many of the others, have lost interest in pro sports. I very much enjoy what “team” instead of “me” approach there is in college sports. For me, all day college sports over pros.

With that said, notice the big exodus of QB transfers, say Jalen Hurts and several others, from one big time school to another, top quality QB’s that realize they aren’t going to get rhe playing time they think they deserve at their current (now former) school. Is that a trend that may get some traction...?

I am so impressed with the quality coaches the UW has landed over the last few years. They seem to be quality folks that stress fundamentals, discipline, and team work.

Yep, Coach Mike seems to have his team heading in the right direction with prospects for an even brighter future.

I used to love the NBA, but ever since Jordan and Magic retired, I have lost all interest in it and do not watch it. I love college hoops, but I am not watching as much as I used to and though I do not begrudge the athletes, I'm not fond of the one-and-done players. I would like to see something put in place similar to how NCAA baseball does it....a player is committed to play 2 years before wanting to test the pro waters.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Well L. James said let me run your team and I'll give you a winner. Well where is the winner now. They look like the lakers of a few years ago. One star and he wants the ball all the time. Just like that player for Houston. The ball hog. Shit, his name slipped my brain just as I was typing this. I watch him come down the court and shoot as soon as he's close to the three point line. No wonder that he scores a lot of points. He never seems to pass it off half the time.

James Harden. I had to go look up who he was. Ball hog.

Frederico Colignon
Todd Loffredo
Willie Mosconi

You can argue that foosball and pool are not sports, but the next names are inarguable.

Wayne Gretzky
Don Bradman
Gretzky, in the Oilers years, was incredible to watch live. When you could see the whole ice, unlike a televised game, it was apparent he was playing ahead of the other players. Spooky passing ability. Supernatural presence. Savant!!

Bjorn Borg versus Jimmy Connors live once, was cool to see elite athletes play at highest abilities- far from my scope of comprehension, but tennis was balanced.

Never saw Wilt, just clips, but that guy was a scoring machine. Besides the undersized Bill Russell, Wilt needed a Shaq or two to size up with more.

Last edited:
Love basketball, but like many of the others, have lost interest in pro sports. I very much enjoy what “team” instead of “me” approach there is in college sports. For me, all day college sports over pros.
The only difference I see on that front is that the ego focal point of a college basketball team is typically the head coach rather than a superstar player. The arrogance of coaches at the college level knows no bounds.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Not much into the NBA now, but I used to enjoy it.
Our company owner gave us court side seats to game 6 of the of the 1987 western conference semi finals, which the Sonics won to seal the series 128 to 125.
Hakeem Olajuwon had 49 pts and 25 rebounds in that game and was just unstoppable.
Some of the shots he put up that went in were unbelievable. Seeing a big man move like he could was really impressive.
The Sonics big three of Chambers, Ellis and McDaniels had 97 combined in that game.

In the late 70's while going to the UW, I got to see the Lakers practice at Hec Ed while they were in town playing the Sonics in the playoffs.
Jabbar, Magic, Nixon, Cooper, Wilkes. That was pretty cool to see.

Lately, I've been enjoying watching what Mike Hopkins has done with the Huskies.
Watching Matisse Thybulle play great defense is a lot of fun.
He reminds me of Gary Payton or Nate McMillan in their Sonic heydays as far as a defensive player goes.
The guy has great anticipation and arm length for his size. He has 34 steals over the past 7 games.
SF

Well L. James said let me run your team and I'll give you a winner. Well where is the winner now. They look like the lakers of a few years ago. One star and he wants the ball all the time. Just like that player for Houston. The ball hog. Shit, his name slipped my brain just as I was typing this. I watch him come down the court and shoot as soon as he's close to the three point line. No wonder that he scores a lot of points. He never seems to pass it off half the time.

James Harden. I had to go look up who he was. Ball hog.
It’s just ugly basketball. Kobe has it right the other day. He will never win playing like that.

Although I gotta admit one of my favorite plays in basketball is when he does one of his patented jump into a guy looking for a foul call, chucks up an air ball, and the ref swallows his whistle and just looks at him like play basketball man...

jamma

Gretzky, in the Oilers years, was incredible to watch live. When you could see the whole ice, unlike a televised game, it was apparent he was playing ahead of the other players. Spooky passing ability. Supernatural presence. Savant!!

Bjorn Borg versus Jimmy Connors live once, was cool to see elite athletes play at highest abilities- far from my scope of comprehension, but tennis was balanced.

Never saw Wilt, just clips, but that guy was a scoring machine. Besides the undersized Bill Russell, Wilt needed a Shaq or two to size up with more.
Wilt is the only guy who wasn't a guard to lead the league in assists, so he could play the game at any level he wanted.There's a funny story about how strong he was; while shooting the film 'Conan the Barbarian' he saw Shwartzenegger doing bench presses and asked him what he was doing.Arnold showed him and Wilt started doing them, easily.It was said that if Arnold saw Wilt in the weight room, he would give it a pass.Bill Russell has nothing but praise for Wilt but he always had better teams.Until the Lakers.

Latest posts