NFR BasketBall

dld

No denying Wilt was amazing. I heard a story about him helping a couple of guys who were struggling with some heavy cases. They were using two guys to move each, Wilt grabbed one in each hand and walked without visible struggle.

Grew up watching the Sonics in the Payton/Kemp days. Had a lot of fun watching those teams. Detlef... Nate... And of course my favorite... Big Smooth!!

Haven't watched a lick of basketball since they left town, other than watching my teams lose the last two years in the March Madness swap :)

IveofIone

Not since the "Game of the Century" back in the '60's between Elvin Hayes and Lew Alcindor have I seen as much hype as last nights game between Duke and NC. Rumor has it that tickets went as high as $10K and the place was packed with celebrities and even an ex president. They all came to see the alleged next NBA superstar destroy the opposition thus establishing himself as the next Michael Jordan. Instead his Nike shoe exploded in the first few seconds sending him to the floor and out of the game. NC kicked Duke's ass proving again that there is rarely any such thing as a sure thing.

I was glad to see Coach Alphabet lose no matter the circumstances. That is the gloomiest looking little fucker in sports and is only equaled by Mitch McConnell in politics. How he can win so many games yet still look so morose is amazing. He makes Joe Btfsplk look cheerful!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Huskies played some great defense last night, holding Utah to 4 points over a 15 minute span.
Those four points were free throws.

It will be interesting to see what Nike has to say about Zion Williamson’s shoe blowing out 36 seconds into the Duke - NC game.
SF

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what Nike has to say about Zion Williamson’s shoe blowing out 36 seconds into the Duke - NC game.
SF
If the injury proves serious, it will be interesting to see what the law suit against Nike has to say... Although I suspect the contracts Nike (and others) have with colleges have protective clauses.

UW played another great game. Thybulle has a bona fide chance of topping Gary Payton's PAC 12 steal record! He had 2 blocks and a steal in the first 1:30 of the game last night!

SF
I know exactly how NiKE feels..

May have mentioned this before somewhere, but about 24-ish years ago, I worked a small job in Spokane where we made cutting edge - at the time, graphite hockey sticks. It was a small garage in a one stall space in an industrial park. We made each one different, experimental, but, we sent them directly to a couple of NHL players during the season. Sergei Federov of the Detroit Red Wings was the biggest player.

The whole crew was 4 of us-including the brains behind it all. We used aircraft grade graphite composite in rolls from a freezer, we had a pizza oven to cook them(!), small set of molds-let's just say that. They were pressurized with a faulty air system. It was crazy. We even silkscreened them in that garage over a coating of black spray paint in cans, they looked ugly. Some days, none turned out.

The idea was to get some NHL players interested and then launch the company forward.

The cool part was we would send them out and then watch ESPN/NHL channel and see our sticks in a game within 24-48 hours !!!! It was crazy.

Now the ZION moment. Or Moments. The sticks were really tricky and often would explode upon a slapshot or a checking of another stick. The announcers made sure everyone knew "there goes one of those new graphite sticks failing".. We would cringe when that happened, on national tv, and it happened so much. A team shorthanded for a few seconds without a stick could easily turn a game.
It took a lot of reworking but the players liked them.

The company left for CA about a year into the process and I stayed behind. They eventually were bought up by Nike, and then relaunched again as Warrior. They made it fine and now, 99%+ of NHL players use graphite.

Last edited:
Time for NBA/NCAA to ditch the one and done rule. If you were Zion would you ever step onto a college court again? Pretty soon guys will start NCAA, do enough to showcase their skills to be a 1st rounder, then sit the rest of the year. I don't blame them. What if Zion had blown a ACL? Sure he has the 8 mill insurance policy but then he would be looking at another year until he hit free agency in the NBA and maybe a $40mill/year contract. Net loss 32 Mill...

Both games will be better for it. Zion would be a great rookie this year and the NCAA can go back to team unity.

F-ing conflicted. Raised in SLC, father had Ute b-ball season tickets. I've been in WA. For 30 yrs. Wife and I had season tickets to Husky b-ball. Didn't know who I was cheering for last night...GO HUSKY UTES!!

I think it has more to do with the perception of the PAC 12 conference this year.
Of the power five conferences, they are definitely at the bottom of the hoops barrel this year.
SF
It was brought up by the announcer last night, that the PAC 12 has the youngest average aged players of any of the major conference. He thought that they would be a quality conference again in the near future. Let's hope. They can't all go to the pros can they?

F-ing conflicted. Raised in SLC, father had Ute b-ball season tickets. I've been in WA. For 30 yrs. Wife and I had season tickets to Husky b-ball. Didn't know who I was cheering for last night...GO HUSKY UTES!!
I am a total bandwagon fan. Go with the hottest team, best record. I went to lowly EWU, and the only time I claim it is when some guy makes an NFL team as a "long shot" and does well.

My college was so crummy (cue," how crummy was it?"), it was so bad, that I once got a grade for a 5 credit class where I forgot to drop it and was expecting a 0.00/incomplete and/or a flunk, and I STILL got a 3.0 gpa in that class without going one day!?! Believe me, 3.0 raised my overall gpa.

Guess I was preparing for a career in politics..

Last edited:

Latest posts