NFR BasketBall

Old Man

Just an Old Man
As I was sitting here thinking about nothing. It popped into my head as to why the Husky's aren't ranked. They play in a weak conference. They don't get to pick and choose who they play. I mean that their 21-5 record should be good enough to be in the top 10 of Basketball. If UCLA was a few games better they would at least be in the top 10. Just because they are UCLA. But nobody on the East Coast knows anything about Washington.. They just think of Washington as a picture on a one dollar bill. Most of the sports writers are on the east coast.

In fairness, a 21-5 record against the level of competition UW has faced probably equates to like 16-10 in the ACC or 17-9 in the SEC. Gonzaga has no trouble getting love from the East Coast media, but they actually play people.

Gonzaga plays some good teams- no doubt, but also, they play some really crappy ones in their weak conference, too.

-gradute of Gonzaga basketball camp 1978 with Lionel Hollins
Gonzaga plays as tough an OOC schedule, year in and year out, as anyone except maybe Duke, UK or UNC. And they usually win most of them. And yeah, their conference sucks, but their early season schedule usually more than compensates.

In fairness, a 21-5 record against the level of competition UW has faced probably equates to like 16-10 in the ACC or 17-9 in the SEC. Gonzaga has no trouble getting love from the East Coast media, but they actually play people.
Yes, Gonzaga plays people like UW, who they beat in the last seconds of their game in the bandbox in Spokane that Gonzaga calls home and which typically gives them a big home-court advantage. UW hasn't had the quality competition, but I suspect they will do better in the tourny than most think they will.

It is amazing that the PAC-12 does not have good teams throughout. UCLA is no longer UCLA.

I'd love to see the Pac12 turn into more rogue, run and gun conference, and take coaching out of it. Nothing worse than watching guys who you know could run some amazing stuff, slowed down by endlessly stuffy coaches slowing it down to kill 29 seconds to end up taking the same shot they could have the first 5 seconds..

Overcoaching, IMHO, ruins basketball to be able to watch a whole game.

Mark Few does a good job of knowing when to jump in and coach, and when to step back a turn the faucet on and let it go gym rat

IveofIone

It is amazing that the PAC-12 does not have good teams throughout. UCLA is no longer UCLA.

I'd love to see the Pac12 turn into more rogue, run and gun conference, and take coaching out of it. Nothing worse than watching guys who you know could run some amazing stuff, slowed down by endlessly stuffy coaches slowing it down to kill 29 seconds to end up taking the same shot they could have the first 5 seconds..

Overcoaching, IMHO, ruins basketball to be able to watch a whole game.

Mark Few does a good job of knowing when to jump in and coach, and when to step back a turn the faucet on and let it go gym rat
I agree wholeheartedly. When I watch a lot of these teams play it is just too boring to continue with. It seems like coaches are running the same plays they learned back in the 70's/80's and just stifling the talent of today's players. Teams that share the ball selflessly are far more fun to watch like the Warriors and Gonzaga.

The Pac 12 isn't good at anything right now and it's hard to understand how they have become so pedestrian. Unimaginative coaching and the resulting lack of recruiting prowess is dooming the league to laughable status among the major conferences. It is win or go home and the Pac 12 is homeward bound at this point.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I agree wholeheartedly. When I watch a lot of these teams play it is just too boring to continue with. It seems like coaches are running the same plays they learned back in the 70's/80's and just stifling the talent of today's players. Teams that share the ball selflessly are far more fun to watch like the Warriors and Gonzaga.

The Pac 12 isn't good at anything right now and it's hard to understand how they have become so pedestrian. Unimaginative coaching and the resulting lack of recruiting prowess is dooming the league to laughable status among the major conferences. It is win or go home and the Pac 12 is homeward bound at this point.
Why isn’t the PAC 12 any good?
You can start by looking at the Pac 12 commissioner.
Larry Scott is a self serving dbag.
Each school is getting less money then they should be.
Other conferences are winning the arms race and west coast athletes are noticing and going to other conferences besides the PAC 12.

They should fire Scott immediately and name someone like the deputy commissioner of the SEC.
You couldn’t do any worse then Larry Scott.
SF

Last edited:
Seems a big change is that the modern collegiate athlete is willing to go far away to play because of the ability of social media to make the world a much smaller place? A California kid going to play on the east coast college team pre internet/smart phone/skype/twitter was far less common, I am sure.

Scouting is more high-tech as well. Big business. NCAA feeds that, find the best pieces, search anywhere, creates more money for TV. The bottomline.

Now, everyone is intouch-whether across town or across the country.

I think the idea of playing Professionally is also much more a goal, the glamorous lifestyle, HUGE contracts, so players are chasing programs that place and develop players in the pros..your Alabamas, your Dukes

Last edited:

Latest posts